Howard Washington's Role | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington's Role

Orangtiz

Starter
Do we see this guy getting in games this season? I think he should be a prime candidate for a redshirt but I haven't heard much about him. Are we expecting him to see 7-15 minutes per game at PG or no?

41aF3S4oO-L.jpg

Do we see this guy getting in games this season? I think he should be a prime candidate for a redshirt but I haven't heard much about him. Are we expecting him to see 7-15 minutes per game at PG or no?

Between Thorpe and Howard I wouldn't be surprised if he was below 10 minutes a game non-conference and MIA during ACC play.

I'd like to see him redshirt but I'm not sure if it's a good bet with only 3 guards above him on the depth chart.

We have 9 scholarship players this year; 4 guards 2 centers and 3 forwards. Why do you want to red-shirt anyone on this team?
I know that Boeheim plays 6-7 players, maybe 8 at the most but with such limited players; why run the risk of someone getting hurt and even having to play more short handed.
Give Howard Washington a chance to play and let him gain experience at this year.

Hard to redshirt a guy when you just have 9. He's a sprained ankle away from being in the rotation.

Yeah, Matt Gorman is a good example of that. He only got into 9 games as a freshman in 2003, but they only had 9 scholarship guys including him.

A few years later in 2004-05 they redshirted him, as they started the year with 11 other scholarship players.

can you still apply for a redshirt retroactively if you've played in less than 30% of games?

0% chance of a redshirt. Only true PG on the roster. As others have said we only have 9 scholarship players. There is a huge difference between only playing 7-8 players and only having 8 players. Maybe since we don't have any seniors on this team we can red shirt all of next years freshman class. Perhaps that will satisfy the red shirt crowd.

Only if you suffer a season ending injury.
but that's up to the team to declare, right? if he never plays a game after Christmas, they can say he had a stress fracture to the whatever and call it redshirt year, right?

but that's up to the team to declare, right? if he never plays a game after Christmas, they can say he had a stress fracture to the whatever and call it redshirt year, right?

As long as they can produce the x-rays.

First off, I don't foresee a redshirt. Second, let's see how he plays. To me, the only guard (outside of Tyus) who should be considered a lock for minutes is Thorpe, since he's an established college basketball veteran and he didn't come here to sit. I hope the other roles and playing time are very much up for grabs. Frank Howard has not earned a guaranteed amount of minutes or a big role. Let him earn it and compete against Washington.

Hearing he's been a bit of a surprise. Might player a larger role than first thought...which still may not be significant.
image.jpeg

Hearing he's been a bit of a surprise. Might player a larger role than first thought...which still may not be significant.

To me, Frank's only advantage is that he's a junior but HW is not green. He played for Montverde before AI and has faced top flight high school competition. Howard Washington is the better player in my opinion. No, we obviously haven't seen him play against college competition but I HAVE seen FH against college competition. Plus, FH is coming off an injury.

To me our third guard might very well be Frank Howard Washington.

He compares himself to Ennis which encourages and discourages me. Ennis was so steady at the helm and despite the win streak it was the least entertaining SU basketball I can recall watching and possible the lowest scoring. Hoping he is a bit more uptempo version of Ennis. Unless Howard cant pull it together or someone gets injured I don't think Washington will see the court in ACC play.

He compares himself to Ennis which encourages and discourages me. Ennis was so steady at the helm and despite the win streak it was the least entertaining SU basketball I can recall watching and possible the lowest scoring. Hoping he is a bit more uptempo version of Ennis. Unless Howard cant pull it together or someone gets injured I don't think Washington will see the court in ACC play.

He says that people compare him to Ennis. It comes from being a steady, heady pass-first point guard. He is fine at running a break and can throw a nice lob. Better shooter than Ennis from deep.

Im not sure why so many think hw won't see any action during acc play. Not saying he will or won't but I have my own thoughts on it but for those that keep saying he wont see the court im curious as to why you think That?

possible the lowest scoring

Looked up some stats, Ennis was 2013-2014 and Kaleb Joseph in 2014-2015.
Only seasons we scored under 70ppg in the last 20+ years.
Man, wish we could score like those two higher seasons. The glory days...
  • 2006-2007 | 75.5
  • 2007-2008 | 79
  • 2008-2009 | 80 (7th nationally)
  • 2009-2010 | 80.9 (7th nationally)
  • 2010-2011 | 73.4
  • 2011-2012 | 74
  • 2012-2013 | 70.4
  • 2013-2014 | 68
  • 2014-2015 | 67.6
  • 2015-2016 | 70
  • 2016-2017 | 76.3

Last edited:
Looked up some stats, Ennis was 2013-2014 and Kris Joseph in 2014-2015.
Only seasons we scored under 70ppg in the last 20+ years.
Man, wish we could score like those two higher seasons. The glory days...
  • 2006-2007 | 75.5
  • 2007-2008 | 79
  • 2008-2009 | 80 (7th nationally)
  • 2009-2010 | 80.9 (7th nationally)
  • 2010-2011 | 73.4
  • 2011-2012 | 74
  • 2012-2013 | 70.4
  • 2013-2014 | 68
  • 2014-2015 | 67.6
  • 2015-2016 | 70
  • 2016-2017 | 76.3
Interesting - Caleb Joseph ...