Howard Washington's Role | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington's Role

our best offense comes when the defense is creating live ball turnovers. may the best defenders get the guard minutes.

Tyus will be our best guard defender. He wasn't as good as he was in high school, where I saw him take over games by turning guys over. Not sure about Thorpe. Frank is pretty decent sometimes. I thought he was pretty good down the stretch last year, when he had something to prove. Jury is out on HW. The good thing is our guards have plenty of height/ length for the zone.

I think HW's pt will be determined more by his 3pt shooting than his ball handling/security & playmaking this year. I see his role as a shooter off the bench. If he's hitting, he plays, & vice versa.
This is a great point I could see Washington just shooting for us if he is that effective at it. It will be interesting to see. I hear what you all are saying, however, it would be nice to give him a year off and adjust to the college game and we could groom him for the future. Hope he's great for us this season tho!

I think HW's pt will be determined more by his 3pt shooting than his ball handling/security & playmaking this year. I see his role as a shooter off the bench. If he's hitting, he plays, & vice versa.
Especially the shooting. I just glanced at the roster again and there is a good possibility that HW will be our 2nd best 3 pt shooter. We have several guys that "can shoot the 3" but no real 3 pt shooters. Washington, Thorpe, Brissett, Dolezaj, Moyer...I'm not sure anyone can say for sure right now which of these is the best 3 pt shooter (unless you've been to practice etc.). Anyone that can shoot will find a role on this years team.

This is a great point I could see Washington just shooting for us if he is that effective at it. It will be interesting to see. I hear what you all are saying, however, it would be nice to give him a year off and adjust to the college game and we could groom him for the future. Hope he's great for us this season tho!
It would be nice if we had 13 scholarship players available too. But we only have 9. And despite the number of quality 5th year seniors SU has had over the years SU is really a "recruit for the future" program more than a "groom for the future" school.

We have 9 scholarship players this year; 4 guards 2 centers and 3 forwards. Why do you want to red-shirt anyone on this team?
I know that Boeheim plays 6-7 players, maybe 8 at the most but with such limited players; why run the risk of someone getting hurt and even having to play more short handed.
Give Howard Washington a chance to play and let him gain experience at this year.

He only does the super-short rotation late in the year. For the first half of the season he plays nearly the full roster, to see what he's got. You can't play only 6-7 players for 31 games, Guys will be worn down and get hurt, and then your back-ups have no game-time experience.

0% chance of a redshirt. Only true PG on the roster. As others have said we only have 9 scholarship players. There is a huge difference between only playing 7-8 players and only having 8 players. Maybe since we don't have any seniors on this team we can red shirt all of next years freshman class. Perhaps that will satisfy the red shirt crowd.

People seem to be forgetting how up and down Frank has been. If Frank disappoints, I think Washington will get his chance.

HW will play. He wasn't some desperate addition. Kid can shoot it, run an offense, and play off the ball.

Hearing he's been a bit of a surprise. Might player a larger role than first thought...which still may not be significant.
Heard the same. Not claiming to be of Jakes level of insider, but around the program alot. HW is still very very unlikely to play much at all once we hit 2018. Frank is the starting PG. He's not a 3rd or 4th guard. Thorpe will spell him and Tyus will run the team when that happens . I sense a calm w JB over this roster . He likes it alot. And he loves FH.

Who knows he just might be the best guard this year. Wait until the action starts.

Heard the same. Not claiming to be of Jakes level of insider, but around the program alot. HW is still very very unlikely to play much at all once we hit 2018. Frank is the starting PG. He's not a 3rd or 4th guard. Thorpe will spell him and Tyus will run the team when that happens . I sense a calm w JB over this roster . He likes it alot. And he loves FH.

Skeptical. Appreciate it though. Don’t get me wrong. Just skeptical. I just gotta see it before I can fully buy it.

Skeptical. Appreciate it though. Don’t get me wrong. Just skeptical. I just gotta see it before I can fully buy it.

Sad but true. I don't think it's etched in stone but it's more likely that FH starts. The idea that HW won't play much next year is way too premature. The staff likes him a lot.

Sad but true. I don't think it's etched in stone but it's more likely that FH starts. The idea that HW won't play much next year is way too premature. The staff likes him a lot.
They like him as a 4th guard in a three guard rotation Iommi. I know u love Howard W... U have 100 posts about it and I hope u are right... but FH would have to fall on his face for that to happen.

The problems w FH last year are gone. He has matured and is probably our best zone defender up top (directly from the mouth of a coach on staff). You know that if u play D for JImmy... you play. Alot.

They like him as a 4th guard in a three guard rotation Iommi. I know u love Howard W... U have 100 posts about it and I hope u are right... but FH would have to fall on his face for that to happen.

The problems w FH last year are gone. He has matured and is probably our best zone defender up top (directly from the mouth of a coach on staff). You know that if u play D for JImmy... you play. Alot.

As I've also said, it's apparent JB likes FH because without JB Frank would've been shown the door last year. To repeat, I too think FH will start and I know that we usually play 3 guards.

When Battle plays the 3 I can see another opportunity to put HW at point guard. Yes, you could FH at PG then but if we go with that it would open up more PG time because you'd put GT at the 2.

Also, as I've said, FH has to show it on the court. I expect him to play well against cupcakes (he did last year too). Once ACC play comes around, if Frank struggles, HW is more than capable of stepping in and taking some minutes.

He seems to love PC as well.
Time shall tell.

As I've also said, it's apparent JB likes FH because without JB Frank would've been shown the door last year. To repeat, I too think FH will start and I know that we usually play 3 guards.

When Battle plays the 3 I can see another opportunity to put HW at point guard. Yes, you could FH at PG then but if we go with that it would open up more PG time because you'd put GT at the 2.

Also, as I've said, FH has to show it on the court. I expect him to play well against cupcakes (he did last year too). Once ACC play comes around, if Frank struggles, HW is more than capable of stepping in and taking some minutes.

My prediction is Battle never sees a single minute at the 3 all season.

Frank has never lifted a hand in defense of anything in a game. And now,

I hope he does a complete 180.

I don't necessarily share your optimism regarding Frank. But I agree 100% with your last statement that "if you play D...you play Alot."

It all depends on how the offense looks when we go with Thorpe and Battle at PG and SG. If it works, then Washington will have a tough time getting ACC minutes. If it doesn't work, then Howard can't play 40 minutes per game, so Washington will probably hover around 6-8 minutes. If he can give us 8 minutes, hit a 3, and at least have more assists than turnovers, I'll be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom