Howard's Fifth Foul | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Howard's Fifth Foul

OT: Did anybody see what the refs did to Macura on Xavier? If a Xavier fan came up to me and argued the refs stole that game from them, I'd be in 100% agreement. Xavier was up double digits when he picked up his 3rd foul on a totally clean block. I don't mean a good block that had a little contact; he didn't make contact with anything but the ball. Then he picked up his 4th foul on a 100% clean steal that would have led to a breakaway layup. Xavier had to bench him, which led to Florida State's comeback run. He gets back in the game when FSU had it nearly tied and picks up his 5th on a call only very slightly better than the two atrocious calls that preceded it. I felt like Frank got screwed but it was nothing compared to what happened to Macura.

Wow. Did not see that game at all. Looked at the score late-ish and it seemed like Xavier was in good shape.

Frank saw the cookies and was told not to touch them. Instead, he opened the cookie jar and then closed it without taking one. The problem was that he opened the cookie jar. In other words, he was tempted by something he should have been no where near because of the short pass and put himself in a bad position. If he fouled him or not is moot...it was called a foul thus it was a foul.

Frank saw the cookies and was told not to touch them. Instead, he opened the cookie jar and then closed it without taking one. The problem was that he opened the cookie jar. In other words, he was tempted by something he should have been no where near because of the short pass and put himself in a bad position. If he fouled him or not is moot...it was called a foul thus it was a foul.

In other words, if you force the referee to make a decision, you're stuck with the decision he makes.

I had no problem with him pressuring the guy. He should have stopped 2-3 feet away from him and been ready to get back. Put the fear in the guy's head without the contact. He may have ended up landing it in the frontcourt and picked up the backcourt violation all by himself. He went 2 steps too far, which kind of sums him up.

And I love the kid. He's just a dummy sometimes. We take the good with the bad, because the good this year has been excellent.

I think that one was his third? That was the play where the MSU player went through/over Sidibe's back to get the rebound. I'm OK with the foul call on Frank (though the play should've been whistled dead before he was in that position). It's not at all consistent with how they treat "held balls" when everyone hits the deck in a rugby scrum, but it's still a foul.

Yea I think that was the 3rd. And shortly after that an MSU player had Sidibe in a head lock and threw him to the ground. As physical as that game was, the ticky tack ones were BS.

I had no problem with him pressuring the guy. He should have stopped 2-3 feet away from him and been ready to get back. Put the fear in the guy's head without the contact. He may have ended up landing it in the frontcourt and picked up the backcourt violation all by himself. He went 2 steps too far, which kind of sums him up.

And I love the kid. He's just a dummy sometimes. We take the good with the bad, because the good this year has been excellent.

Being a junior has has to know how far to go when you have 4 fouls and the pass being slightly short tempted him as it would almost any player. I wouldn't say he is a dummy by any means but aggressive at the wrong times and that being said I'd by far rather have a player be aggressive than passive in almost most cases. This one...not so much.

OT: Did anybody see what the refs did to Macura on Xavier? If a Xavier fan came up to me and argued the refs stole that game from them, I'd be in 100% agreement. Xavier was up double digits when he picked up his 3rd foul on a totally clean block. I don't mean a good block that had a little contact; he didn't make contact with anything but the ball. Then he picked up his 4th foul on a 100% clean steal that would have led to a breakaway layup. Xavier had to bench him, which led to Florida State's comeback run. He gets back in the game when FSU had it nearly tied and picks up his 5th on a call only very slightly better than the two atrocious calls that preceded it. I felt like Frank got screwed but it was nothing compared to what happened to Macura.

No doubt about it. Macura got hosed in a major way.

Being a junior has has to know how far to go when you have 4 fouls and the pass being slightly short tempted him as it would almost any player. I wouldn't say he is a dummy by any means but aggressive at the wrong times and that being said I'd by far rather have a player be aggressive than passive in almost most cases. This one...not so much.
No, he's a bit of a dummy. You know how I know? He keeps passing to Chukwu expecting different results.

No, he's a bit of a dummy. You know how I know? He keeps passing to Chukwu expecting different results.

Ahhh...that's where you have it wrong! He's crazy like a fox because HS players see that and think to themselves "I'd be slamming that baby down!" and thus he's recruiting big men for the future.

Ahhh...that's where you have it wrong! He's crazy like a fox because HS players see that and think to themselves "I'd be slamming that baby down!" and thus he's recruiting big men for the future.

Oh, I really like your version better! Going to take a lot of brain training for me to get there, but the seed has been planted.

Speaking of Franks foul, that's one rule change I would like to see in college basketball. Once you go over the half court line on offense you are no longer able to go pass it on in bounds plays as well.
100% agree with this one.

That's the way the FIBA rule is.

Speaking of Franks foul, that's one rule change I would like to see in college basketball. Once you go over the half court line on offense you are no longer able to go pass it on in bounds plays as well.
Wouldn’t be fair to the inbounding team after a defensive foul.

Well, it was a poor play for sure, but we just have to take the good with the bad. Frank's not going to change his stripes at this point. He will always make a few baffling errors throughout a game.

There are baffling errors, and then there are errors that cost you games. That was an error that should have cost Syracuse the game. Need to be smarter than that. And I'd say that about any player on any team.