Huge game for Nassibs legacy and for Hackett to step up. | Syracusefan.com

Huge game for Nassibs legacy and for Hackett to step up.

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Tomorrow's game is the opportunity for these two often beleagured men to show that Go's opinion about the corner being turned is true and that this offense is/can be taken to the next level.

While I have never been down on Nassib, after last years horrific performance against Rutty he needs to redeem himself and play a smart, efficient, and turnover free game. He needs to hit on at least one deep ball and make Rutgers pay when there pass rush/blitz cant get home in time. He has played Rutgers four years now, he knows what to expect and its time he put this team on his back.

For Hackett its time to put up or shut up. We have kept Broyld and the trick plays under wraps for most of the year, it's time to see what we have up our sleeves. I would be shocked if Broyld or another non QB didnt attempt a pass Saturday. We also need to see more of the USC and NW offense on Saturday with shots down the field to Kobena (if healthy) and Clark. Also lets reintroduce Adrian Flemming and David Stevens to the world with some actual passing plays. Syracuse has been successful against Rutgers when we take the fight to them (09 and 10) trying to make this game a rock fight on purpose is going to result in a defeat for us.

Tomorrow's game is the opportunity for these two often beleagured men to show that Go's opinion about the corner being turned is true and that this offense is/can be taken to the next level.

While I have never been down on Nassib, after last years horrific performance against Rutty he needs to redeem himself and play a smart, efficient, and turnover free game. He needs to hit on at least one deep ball and make Rutgers pay when there pass rush/blitz cant get home in time. He has played Rutgers four years now, he knows what to expect and its time he put this team on his back.

For Hackett its time to put up or shut up. We have kept Broyld and the trick plays under wraps for most of the year, it's time to see what we have up our sleeves. I would be shocked if Broyld or another non QB didnt attempt a pass Saturday. We also need to see more of the USC and NW offense on Saturday with shots down the field to Kobena (if healthy) and Clark. Also lets reintroduce Adrian Flemming and David Stevens to the world with some actual passing plays. Syracuse has been successful against Rutgers when we take the fight to them (09 and 10) trying to make this game a rock fight on purpose is going to result in a defeat for us.

Nassibs happy feet will kill us tomorrow

Nassibs happy feet will kill us tomorrow

He really needs to try and stay in the pocket, this isnt the type of game where he should be looking to run, this D will try and knock him out clean or cheap shot.

He really needs to try and stay in the pocket, this isnt the type of game where he should be looking to run, this D will try and knock him out clean or cheap shot.

I haven't chimed in yet, but I watched the Pitt game over again Tuesday night. The talk of happy feet is greatly exaggerated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

HAPPY FEET is a bunch of bull guys. He has been solid this year. NFL scouts are interested. Nassib is doing just fine.

"For Hackett its time to put up or shut up."

Really.

That's a very sensible conclusion.

We are playing probably the most talented defense we will see all year and maybe that we have seen in the last few years.

And we are playing an away game.

And we have what we have at QB, WR and RB.

But it's "put up or shut up" for Nathaniel Hackett. I may have missed it but has NH opened his mouth or made some inappropriate boast of some sort??

Sorry Jeremy but your pre0ccupation with Hackett is getting pathologic in my opinion.

I mean, please, have you seen the game plan going into the game? Do you have any special insight as to what Rutgers will do or what their weaknesses might be?

The team will win or lose on the basis of players making plays - not NH putting up or shutting up.

I haven't chimed in yet, but I watched the Pitt game over again Tuesday night. The talk of happy feet is greatly exaggerated.

No it's not greatly exaggerated. There were times against Pitt he got happy feet. If there's any sign of pressure or the pocket collapsing he gets nervous. I don't think he's scared but I think that he's so worried about taking a sack that it almost paralyzes him, so he tucks and runs.

Against Pitt there were a bunch of times he started to run when all he had to do was step up in the pocket (or step out of the pocket) keep his eyes down field and wait for receivers to come out of their breaks.

"For Hackett its time to put up or shut up."

Really.

That's a very sensible conclusion.

We are playing probably the most talented defense we will see all year and maybe that we have seen in the last few years.

And we are playing an away game.

And we have what we have at QB, WR and RB.

But it's "put up or shut up" for Nathaniel Hackett. I may have missed it but has NH opened his mouth or made some inappropriate boast of some sort??

Sorry Jeremy but your pre0ccupation with Hackett is getting pathologic in my opinion.

I mean, please, have you seen the game plan going into the game? Do you have any special insight as to what Rutgers will do or what their weaknesses might be?

The team will win or lose on the basis of players making plays - not NH putting up or shutting up.

Seriously if your not in favor of my posts/thoughts no need to reply and please for the love of freekin god stop asking everyone if they have seen the game plan or studied Rutgers weakness or have special insight. People have been following this program for decades on end I am pretty sure a majority of the people on this board can name our weaknesses/strengths and Rutgers, its not nuclear fusion its football.

Its year 3 under Hackett when your simply looking for the Offense to average more then two offensive touchdowns a game against the worst BCS conference in america I dont think your asking for the world. But hey its a road game, the players stink, and were facing the greatest D ever assembled Saturday, how dare we hold our O coordinator accountable.

No it's not greatly exaggerated. There were times against Pitt he got happy feet. If there's any sign of pressure or the pocket collapsing he gets nervous. I don't think he's scared but I think that he's so worried about taking a sack that it almost paralyzes him, so he tucks and runs.

Against Pitt there were a bunch of times he started to run when all he had to do was step up in the pocket (or step out of the pocket) keep his eyes down field and wait for receivers to come out of their breaks.

Its the only thing I watched for when I replayed the game. There was 2 maybe 3 times most that I could say he took off early. Every other time, there really wasn't a pocket. Many times he takes a sack even if he tried to step up or left/right. No pocket was there, just pressure. Its the price we pay and have accept when we want a spread offense that uses no FB to pick up blitzes or TE's to help with outside pressure.

When Ryan "scrambles" he needs to keep his eyes downfield. He rarely, if ever, does so.

When Ryan "scrambles" he needs to keep his eyes downfield. He rarely, if ever, does so.

He completed some vs Pitt on the move. Maybe not as much as some want, but more than never.

I couldn't care less about Nassib's legacy or what Hackett needs to prove.

We need to win, desperately, so that we (a) have a shot at a bowl, and (b) have a half-way decent crowd in the building next Friday night.

2-4 and 25K for UConn is a disaster.

I couldn't care less about Nassib's legacy or what Hackett needs to prove.

We need to win, desperately, so that we (a) have a shot at a bowl, and (b) have a half-way decent crowd in the building next Friday night.

2-4 and 25K for UConn is a disaster.

Agree.

Of course the players have to make plays. But you're wrong if you think coaches don't play a role, sometimes a big role, on game day.

Play calling and decision making are just as important. How many times have you heard a coach say, including Marrone, that they have to put players in a position to be successful? This staff has had a tough time with that sometimes. I say they have cost the team a victory a few times the past few years.

Missing a tackle is an unintentional mistake. A bad decision is a choice.

Nassib just can't throw bad interceptions. If we don't turn the ball over RU won't be able to drive it down our throats. RU gets a lot of scores off short fields. Nassib needs to read the defense quickly and get the ball out. If he does that we will be fine. Hackett has really only had 1 bad game calling plays the Minnesota game. The rest of the games he has called good games, but we have made mistakes.

I think you're right and I hope you're wrong.

Except his happy feet haven't cost us a game. So why tomorrow? Maybe the coaches will vi back to using a fullback and double tights. Plenty of pockets then and time to look over the field for 4-5 seconds.

Except his happy feet haven't cost us a game. So why tomorrow? Maybe the coaches will vi back to using a fullback and double tights. Plenty of pockets then and time to look over the field for 4-5 seconds.

Tomorrow because they're going to dial up the pressure all game long. More so than anyone else we've played

Nassib can be a very nervous player. He gets so anxious it effects his decision making happy feet or not. It also effects his accuracy as He has a tendency to throw the ball too hard.

He completed some vs Pitt on the move. Maybe not as much as some want, but more than never.

I know you have been a bit of contrarian lately, but post stated "downfield", not two yard dump off to the back. It happens maybe once a game, if that. I'm not saying Ryan is the root of all offensive problems here. However, as he moves around a bit, he needs to keep his eyes focused down the field, rather than just tuck it and get 2 or 3. I have only been to a few games over the last couple years, but Ican recall numerous times a receiver open deep on a broken play that Ryan doesn't find.

IMO, that's what have made our great collegiate QB's at Syracuse great. Even Philcox had that ability, even though he would never be mistaken for a mobile QB.

Tomorrow because they're going to dial up the pressure all game long. More so than anyone else we've played

Then maybe we don't want to go spread and put ourselves at a blocking disadvantage. Go back to using a fullback.

Rutgers' defense makes hay stopping the run, and they play good coverage to boot. They have done a below average job nationally sacking opposing QBs. SU gives up 1.6 sacks a game which slightly above average. I expect Rutgers to play it's game on defense which is to focus on the run and play coverage. I expect Rutgers to pick it's spots to bring pressure. If SU is able to move the chains and put up points against the coverage then I expect Rutgers to blitz frequently. Nassib and this offense needs to be flexible enough to handle both tomorrow and from here on out.

Nassib was only sacked two times against Pitt. The first sack #97 ran a stunt and caught Trudo off guard. The second sack Pugh did a great job driving #97 beyond Nassib, and I'm not sure why Nassib was sacked on that one. I thought Nassib showed improvement in that game working in the pocket and making decisions about when to run, and I thought against NW earlier in the season Nassib showed improvement working against the blitz.

I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

I know you have been a bit of contrarian lately, but post stated "downfield", not two yard dump off to the back. It happens maybe once a game, if that. I'm not saying Ryan is the root of all offensive problems here. However, as he moves around a bit, he needs to keep his eyes focused down the field, rather than just tuck it and get 2 or 3. I have only been to a few games over the last couple years, but Ican recall numerous times a receiver open deep on a broken play that Ryan doesn't find.

IMO, that's what have made our great collegiate QB's at Syracuse great. Even Philcox had that ability, even though he would never be mistaken for a mobile QB.

Its just not as bad as you think. We don't run guys deep much and we gave no real seep threat. And the OL guys that a Philcox and others had were much better than this group. We do a better job run blocking than pass blocking. Seems like its always been like that. I also don't remember too many deep downfield passes thrown while on the run by any of our recent QB's.