Huggy Bear resigns | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Huggy Bear resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Being a Cuse walk-on might be one of his dwindling options"

He would probably have 20 P5 schools that would take him on scholarship in a heartbeat, come on lol
More than that but they would have to come up with the NIL work around. And that might not be as easy as some would think. He will find a home if he leaves WVU. But it will not be for the dough he was promised at WVU. Not that he was ever going to get that.

"Being a Cuse walk-on might be one of his dwindling options"

He would probably have 20 P5 schools that would take him on scholarship in a heartbeat, come on lol
How many p5's have openings in June and would offer NIL without a Euro tour?

Seems like we dropped the Euro tour when Jesse backed out. I don't see him playing anymore college ball in the USA. Carlton?

Last edited:
Jesse is a better center than every center currently on our roster. It does not matter what new style of play we plan on running. He is better than everyone on our roster no matter what. That's just the facts if you put the other off-court stuff aside. Have to separate the fact that you dont like the guy from any "McLeod and Hima are better actually" takes.

He’s at WVU for the $. If the checks still clear, why would he leave?

All depends on the language in his NIL contract.
NIL isn't supposed to have anything to do with recruiting. If Jesse stays I'm sure he is owed the money. This will be Jesses decision to make. Stay and get paid. Leave and don't. My two cents are he will stay and get paid. To dashers point he may never see all of the money but that has always been the case.

Coach Red did want him back... until he didn't. And that was based upon Jesse's camp breaking not one, but TWO deals that were favorably negotiated for Jesse. They didn't "try," the DID find NIL dollars for him.

He didn't get with the program, and the family didn't have Red's best interests at heart when they negotiated in good faith. So, they are bad fits.

Adios.

Exactly. Two months ago yes please... get to work on playing a different way. Now after all that's happened and this late in the game? Nope nope and nope.

Have to separate the fact that you dont like the guy from any "McLeod and Hima are better actually" takes.

Don't like the guy???? Ummm not even ball park. This isn't about the other two being better overall players right now either. No one is saying that so if you are inferring that from my posts you are 1000 pct wrong.

What this is about is the multitude of factors on the court and off the court with a new approach/style, a roster already laid out with commitments and relationships built upon, early visions and roles established and the fact you change those things for more than one player if he returns alongside the off court stuff. You then do so with a first year coach.

This isn't a video game or doing things in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Program Culture
School
Hall of Fame Coach
Relationships with teammates

Things that are below money on the list of things that matter to the Edwards squad. Wherever he stays or goes, don’t care. I wish him health and thats it.

We will know more tomorrow after the team meeting. Would he want to play with a bunch of walk-ons?

Why do some of you think Jesse might transfer again? He has a NIL deal that is not contingent on who the coach is, if his attending WV is for $$$ then nothing has changed really unless the collectives or sponsors refuse to fund it which is possible I guess if they haven't signed anything with any guarantees. But huggins termination technically should not prevent the NIL from being funded.

Don't like the guy???? Ummm not even ball park. This isn't about the other two being better overall players right now either. No one is saying that so if you are inferring that from my posts you are 1000 pct wrong.

What this is about is the multitude of factors on the court and off the court with a new approach/style, a roster already laid out with commitments and relationships built upon, early visions and roles established and the fact you change those things for more than one player if he returns alongside the off court stuff. You then do so with a first year coach.

This isn't a video game or doing things in a vacuum.
Did not even read your post. Mainly referring to stuff about how the new style under Red would not suit Jesse and what have you. If Jesse supposedly clogged up the paint a lot when he was here how much of that is on the coaching? If Red were to tell him to get out of the paint more often for our slashing guards this year he would do it. That just seems like a weak argument based in emotions.

Why do some of you think Jesse might transfer again? He has a NIL deal that is not contingent on who the coach is, if his attending WV is for $$$ then nothing has changed really unless the collectives or sponsors refuse to fund it which is possible I guess if they haven't signed anything with any guarantees. But huggins termination technically should not prevent the NIL from being funded.
Do you/we really know the specifics of his NIL deal? How “set in stone” is it? Don’t we have our own situation/non-situation where our big donor negotiated a deal with an recruit and then when we ‘transitioned’ from JB to Red, that donor became persona non grata and that deal… well, I don’t know what happened to that deal.

I can imagine a situation in Morgantown where the donor(s) have a relationship to the coach more than with the collective/school.

I don’t care either way, just hoping to fill in the blanks.

Jesse is a better center than every center currently on our roster. It does not matter what new style of play we plan on running. He is better than everyone on our roster no matter what. That's just the facts if you put the other off-court stuff aside. Have to separate the fact that you dont like the guy from any "McLeod and Hima are better actually" takes.
Same logic drives NBA teams to sign Kyrie over and over, with not so great (and predictable) results.

Just the opposite. People that have a history of Business, life and sports know you can't last long screwing over people. We made promises to kids about their future with the team this year. We did that because jesse bailed on us. Not the other way around. We cancelled the foreign trip. I wish Jesse was still here. He left us. Said some negative things on his way out the door. We made commitments to other kids. Now, because things didn't work out at West Virginia, we should reneg on what we have done in response? That isn't a good long term way to operate. Might help us this year. Might not. But we will regret it at some point if we did that.
I am with Dasher on this. No interest in getting Jesse back at Syracuse.

I liked Jesse. Sorry to see him leave. But he repeatedly acted unethically with the only school that believed in him, gave him a chance and developed him from a raw player into a finished product.

We filled his spot. Sorry he took the money and ran and got burned. He made a horrible decision and is going to pay for it. It is a good life lesson for him.

WVU is a sleazy program and the school lacks ethics. Sometimes you get burned for being scummy. This is one of those times. Prayers for Huggins to finally get the help he needs so he can get his life together.

No need for us to sully SU’s reputation to try and get Jesse back. We will be fine without him.

I sincerely hope Jesse and his father have an absolutely miserable year in Morgantown. They deserve it for the nonsense they pulled here.

I’m sure his dips!t father is already pimping him to other programs as we speak.

Just the opposite. People that have a history of Business, life and sports know you can't last long screwing over people. We made promises to kids about their future with the team this year. We did that because jesse bailed on us. Not the other way around. We cancelled the foreign trip. I wish Jesse was still here. He left us. Said some negative things on his way out the door. We made commitments to other kids. Now, because things didn't work out at West Virginia, we should reneg on what we have done in response? That isn't a good long term way to operate. Might help us this year. Might not. But we will regret it at some point if we did that.
Agree 100% -- well said.

I agree that his pops burned some serious bridges with his bad faith negotiations. And yes, I know Cuse found the NIL money that his dad asked for and then they came back and asked for more, and that’s infuriating. But, again, does that mean the bridge is permanently burned in our coaching staff’s minds? Maybe. Maybe not. I feel like people are reacting with emotion not logic to the idea of Jesse returning to the fold.
I don't think I'm reacting with emotion, at all. I already qualified above that I think Jesse is a terrific player. You could go back the preceeding 4 years, and you will see that there wasn't a bigger fan of Jesse's potential early on, and his play later on, than me. No hint of exaggeration.

So I'm not underestimating his capabilities either, but the die has been cast.

Seems that our Admin. decided that NIL for Jesse is a bridge too far. Did anyone in Cuse land ever make an offer?
If he Red wants Jesse back all he has to do is promise him a larger role in the offense.
I don’t mean to be a jerk, but you really need to pay more attention to what’s posted on this board.

We made TWO lucrative NIL offers to Edwards (specifically to his slimy Dad). And Jesse was going to be a significant focus of next seasons offense. But said Dad decided to parlay all of that into the WVU payday, and his son trashed us on the way out the door. They both suck.

The thought that has been going through my mind...the grass is not always greener on the other side. or be careful what you wish for...

We just got four guys through the portal. Do we really want to tell that story?

If he bled orange he would have stayed and I’m not convinced he makes us better.

We don’t need a ball dominant center with the guards we have. We want those guys to have the ball.

It makes zero sense to have a center that will take the ball away from those guys when we are looking to play fast.

Give me someone who can dunk, rebound, and block shots.

The team and the coaches have moved on.

Jesse was working on his back to the basket game, which doesn't work if you aren't strong enough to back your defender down. If he stayed the pick-and-roll guy he was he might fit in better with the new roster.

Last edited:
Let's hypothetically say Jesse returns. If another center wants out, then you free him to go elsewhere. With Jesse in his last year; maybe, that makes it easier to get a stud 2024 center, like Freeman's buddy, Patrick Ngongba.

For the love of all things holy-

why don't we we move on let it go GIF by Obama

8 WVa players are leaving. They’re all ostensibly going to teams that thought they have their rosters set, with ‘commitments’ made to the players on that roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.