Huggy Bear resigns | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Huggy Bear resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally would take Jessee back by having NIL pay tuition. He's more proven than any other center; McLeod might end up better, who knows, but Jesse's more proven. Jesee's unknown in m2m though.

And, many players have done a lot worse than Jesse's comment about NIL and his dealings with the staff. I was pissed but I'm already over it.

Doesn't matter though - He'll have plenty of suitors if he re-enters the portal, and this bridge was most likely burned, and if the staff made promises to McLeod they would be right to keep them

I still say if you can figure out a way to get Jesse you should do so. Winning programs over recruit all the time and it doesn't hurt their ability to go out the following year and recruit successfully. In our case, McLeod would be the only player affected, but based upon how we intend to play, he will get his minutes as he is more athletic and better suited for man defense than Jesse. Hima, Carey and Patterson are still developing and only Hima would be thrown into the fire if necessary. I do not believe Jesse coming back would hurt our recruiting going forward or would have a great impact on our young centers.

McCleod had 16 points on 7-9 shooting against SU while Jesse had 18 points on 6-14 shooting in the same game.

Just a reminder.
While that is true, and it is thrown around a lot, it is merely one data point. Me? I think McCleod will be good for us. Whether he is as good for us as Jesse was, or at least on his first year, is something we will all be watching.

The other problem with using one data point to project the future is that it works both ways. JJ played two games against SU, played 28 min in each game, and averaged only 6.5 pts. That is very underwhelming and one could use that to argue that he will be mediocre at SU.

But again, it is just one data point (2 actually). In both cases it doesn’t reflect the totality of their seasons. His solid game against SU aside, Naheem averaged 3.8 ppg and 2.7 rpg on the season. Those are not Wilt Chamberlain numbers. They are only slightly better than Jon Bol Ajak stats.

Despite his lackluster showing against SU, on the other hand, JJ
averaged almost 12 ppg On the season. Not the greatest shooting numbers or assist/turnover ratio, but he still made the AAA All Frosh team.

Yes, there were some injuries involved, etc, but there are still some question marks with both guys. That’s OK and I think both will pan out just fine. They are both young and with enormous potential.

Speaking strictly for myself, I wish Jesse had stayed. I think that things will work out well for us but that also has to do with the totality of the roster and not just Naheem vs Jesse in one game. Due to more puzzle pieces this year, Naheem won’t be expected to shoulder the load that that Jesse had to. We have a bunch of options in the backcourt too. Red can move the chess pieces around a bit in a way that we couldn’t last year.

Jesse and his family made a decision that they thought was best for him. Certainly if Jesse and his family could look into the future he may not have pulled the trigger. Decisions have ramifications and that is the way it goes. I don't wish Jesse anything bad but he just learned the lesson "schlit happens " in life. The best thing for Jesse is to keep looking forward not back. The same for Syracuse fans. Time to look forward and not back. Jesse is gone hard stop. Be excited for the team Red has put together.

I personally would take Jessee back by having NIL pay tuition. He's more proven than any other center; McLeod might end up better, who knows, but Jesse's more proven. Jesee's unknown in m2m though.

And, many players have done a lot worse than Jesse's comment about NIL and his dealings with the staff. I was pissed but I'm already over it.

Doesn't matter though - He'll have plenty of suitors if he re-enters the portal, and this bridge was most likely burned, and if the staff made promises to McLeod they would be right to keep them
As far as the NIL stuff, I thought that ship had sailed since we canceled the overseas trip. Is that incorrect?

Last edited:
The WVU team will be disbanded on Mon. Rumor has it that 8 players are fleeing.

Jesse's other two suitors, Kansas and the Zags, probably have no more room at the inn. Who does?

Being a Cuse walk-on might be one of his dwindling options.

How was WVU able to get NIL for Jesse? Did they have a Euro trip during which he could be paid?

Seems that our Admin. decided that NIL for Jesse is a bridge too far. Did anyone in Cuse land ever make an offer?

Can Jesse go Euro pro for next season?

I don't see professional interest for being an NBA big man but there would be G League interest. Euros are supposed to have a well rounded game, an outside shot and passing ability. If he develops these skills there could be NBA options.

If he Red wants Jesse back all he has to do is promise him a larger role in the offense.

Last edited:

Jesse's other two suitors, Kansas and the Zags, probably have no more room at the inn. Who does?

How was WVU able to get NIL for Jesse? Did they have a Euro trip during which he could be paid?

Seems that our Admin. decided that NIL for Jesse is a bridge too far. Did anyone in Cuse land ever make an offer?

I don't see professional interest for being an NBA big man but there would be G League interest. Euros are supposed to have a well rounded game, an outside shot and passing ability. If he develops these skills there could be NBA options.

Euro pro to me is far and away his best alternative step and best for everyone

I’m a big believer in putting the best team on the floor. Sorry so many dislike the truth. Jesse was also heavily influenced by his dad to make this decision. I believe I’ve heard that a bunch of times too and also not to blame Jesse for his departure which I’ve also heard a bunch of times in now closed Jesse thread.

I’m surprised some on here are so vehemently opposed to a possibility of returning when so many also on here indicated how good of a kid Jesse was, how much he bleeded orange and so on and so on. It doesn’t mean those other players aren’t keeping their scholarships by having Jesse come back as a walk on to help your team win games. Somebody alluded to him being a walk-on which isn’t a bad idea. Jesse made a decision that didn’t work out and it’s only natural for a young kid to want to go back to something they know and lean on people he trusts- perhaps our coaching staff. Or let him go play for another team and average 15 and 12 while (our current situation) we have a collection of centers that aren’t ready yet. Yes I get the loyalty point to current recruits. Carey isn’t a center by any stretch of the imagination, Patterson will be redshirted. That leaves our newest center and HIMA who could put in ten minutes then get into foul trouble. Just saying, but yes in the end he won’t come back here I get it. Please don’t sit here and try to explain your rationale that we have a better roster of centers without Jesse because that’s totally not true.

IOW- don't take it personal...

Problem Nissan GIF

“I don't think he's a fit for how we're going to play.”
I don’t think Coach Red would agree with you at all. He definitely wanted Jesse back, wanted to make him and Judah the centerpiece of next year’s team, and they tried to find the NIL dollars to entice him back.

Coach Red did want him back... until he didn't. And that was based upon Jesse's camp breaking not one, but TWO deals that were favorably negotiated for Jesse. They didn't "try," the DID find NIL dollars for him.

He didn't get with the program, and the family didn't have Red's best interests at heart when they negotiated in good faith. So, they are bad fits.

Adios.

As far as the NIL stuff, I thought that ship had sailed since we cancelled the overseas trip. Is that incorrect?
That's a good point, I didn't think about that. I think they could just send him home to the Netherlands this summer and pay him there, though. But Cuse might be uncomfortable with that.

Coach Red did want him back... until he didn't. And that was based upon Jesse's camp breaking not one, but TWO deals that were favorably negotiated for Jesse. They didn't "try," the DID find NIL dollars for him.

He didn't get with the program, and the family didn't have Red's best interests at heart when they negotiated in good faith. So, they are bad fits.

Adios.

As somebody who has lost multiple family members to drunk drivers, including a cousin recognized as a promising ofensive lineman with a full ride to Oregon, Huggins. No sympathy at all for a serial DUI offender.

For those who want Jesse back so bad...even if possible, what makes you think his teamates would trust him? I hope hes stuck at wvu, and moves on to a productive pro career, in some d list euro pro league.

Adios.
I agree that his pops burned some serious bridges with his bad faith negotiations. And yes, I know Cuse found the NIL money that his dad asked for and then they came back and asked for more, and that’s infuriating. But, again, does that mean the bridge is permanently burned in our coaching staff’s minds? Maybe. Maybe not. I feel like people are reacting with emotion not logic to the idea of Jesse returning to the fold.

If he Red wants Jesse back all he has to do is promise him a larger role in the offense.
"Being a Cuse walk-on might be one of his dwindling options"

He would probably have 20 P5 schools that would take him on scholarship in a heartbeat, come on lol

Well it seems like Huggy accomplished that before the season even started.
How could we have offered NIL after our Euro tour was canceled?

As for his Zag option; it made no sense. I can't imagine flying from Holland to Spokane. Fly to Frankfort or Heathrow, catch a plane to Iceland where weather is horrendous all the time and critical airport unions are always on strike.. Fly to Seattle. Catch a cramped flying culvert to Spokane, or drive a rental car over the pass known for traffic jams backed up to Seattle

Euro pro to me is far and away his best alternative step and best for everyone
He’d be taking a pretty big pay cut to do that. They fired Huggins not the donor.

I agree that his pops burned some serious bridges with his bad faith negotiations. And yes, I know Cuse found the NIL money that his dad asked for and then they came back and asked for more, and that’s infuriating. But, again, does that mean the bridge is permanently burned in our coaching staff’s minds? Maybe. Maybe not. I feel like people are reacting with emotion not logic to the idea of Jesse returning to the fold.
Just the opposite. People that have a history of Business, life and sports know you can't last long screwing over people. We made promises to kids about their future with the team this year. We did that because jesse bailed on us. Not the other way around. We cancelled the foreign trip. I wish Jesse was still here. He left us. Said some negative things on his way out the door. We made commitments to other kids. Now, because things didn't work out at West Virginia, we should reneg on what we have done in response? That isn't a good long term way to operate. Might help us this year. Might not. But we will regret it at some point if we did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.