Huggy Bear resigns | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Huggy Bear resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'll be wrong, but I've been lukewarm on McLeod basically since we first got connected to him, so that's where a lot of this comes from. Jesse isn't Kareem (and I never said as much) but the gap between him and McLeod is pretty massive IMO, as is both the team's floor and ceiling with him vs. without.

And I'm not especially concerned about it affecting our word on the recruiting trail. Guys get recruited over all the time. We just haven't been in this scenario for awhile because the most talented players haven't been interested in playing for Cuse since like 2018. Things can change quickly and when you least expect it.

To be clear, I've been really pleased with Red's effort and focus since he took on the job; That's not at question here in the least.

This supposed gap in talent is based on what you want the player to do.
If we play man-to-man for any significant portion of our games this year, I think McLeod and Hima are better suited to it than Jesse would have been. Jesse got bullied out of position down low all the time in his career here. I don't think that will happen so much with the other 2 or 3 guys, who are all sizable rim defenders.

The only way that this can even be looked as unethical, is that supposedly (I was not there) Jesse (and possibly his father) agreed not just once but twice to an agreement/NIL offered by Syracuse. Then went out not once but twice to find other offers/opportunities and bought them back to Syracuse to see if would match or exceed the offers. If the Edwards family (or just Jesse) agreed to either or both of these offers, I would say their further negotiations would be viewed as unethical.

One can look at this in different ways like shopping for a car and getting the lowest price or reaching an agreement to sell your wares at a price higher than market.

Personally, I may have had reservations changing Syracuse’s original offer if Jesse had agreed to it.
Who did Jesse agree with for the offer you speak of from Syracuse? Just curious as to who is making these offers we hear of.

This supposed gap in talent is based on what you want the player to do.
If we play man-to-man for any significant portion of our games this year, I think McLeod and Hima are better suited to it than Jesse would have been. Jesse got bullied out of position down low all the time in his career here. I don't think that will happen so much with the other 2 or 3 guys, who are all sizable rim defenders.
So if Jesse returns we play him to his strong suite, zone defense. When we go man, we sub in McLeod. We denominate and win a chip. Jesse can't get drafted because he only knows how to play zone (Karma!). Syracuse returns to its glory and is the destination for top recruits. Can fairytales come true?

So if Jesse returns we play him to his strong suite, zone defense. When we go man, we sub in McLeod. We denominate and win a chip. Jesse can't get drafted because he only knows how to play zone (Karma!). Syracuse returns to its glory and is the destination for top recruits. Can fairytales come true?

Or we just get behind Red and the 13 guys we have coming in to have a great year and move forward.

17 pages in of bickering... almost a month since our roster under Red has been settled with the best NBA prospect in years coming back...

The cause? Huggy Bear getting a DUI ending his coaching career putting an unlikely hypothetical of Jesse returning as a walk on or pushing someone out front and center for some to re raise concerns over the current team and how that hypothetical would assure us of success... ( run on purposeful for dramatic effect)

"LOL"

He thought he was still in WVa. C'mon everyone knows driving drunk isn't illegal in WVa. I mean who could be expected to spend time there sober?

I think he ends up at UK. Their top 5 ranked freshman center has a foot fracture and will be out for the start of the season and possibly to mid season. Good spot for Jesse to get constant NBA scouting exposure.

17 pages in of bickering... almost a month since our roster under Red has been settled with the best NBA prospect in years coming back...

The cause? Huggy Bear getting a DUI ending his coaching career putting an unlikely hypothetical of Jesse returning as a walk on or pushing someone out front and center for some to re raise concerns over the current team and how that hypothetical would assure us of success... ( run on purposeful for dramatic effect)

"LOL"
I appreciate you, Zoo, and respect your opinion. But you’re the one who’s been doing most of the arguing on this thread. Myself and a couple of others have suggested we should consider the possibility of courting Jesse to return as a walk-on, because he would significantly improve the center position. Or at least we’d support the idea if it’s at all realistic and the coaching staff thinks it could improve the roster. Most people on here seem to be against that idea. Which is fine. Appreciate their views and yours. No big deal. I feel like the staff won’t want to go down this road anyways. And I like the roster we’ve compiled, though I do worry about the relative youth and inexperience.

Last edited:
I appreciate you, Zoo, and respect your opinion. But you’re the one who’s been doing most of the arguing on this thread. Myself and a couple of others have suggested we should consider the possibility of courting Jesse to return as a walk-on, because he would significantly improve the center position. Or at least we’d support the idea if it’s at all realistic and the coaching staff thinks it could improve the roster. Most people on here seem to be against that idea. Which is fine. Appreciate their views and yours. No big deal. I feel like the staff won’t want to go down this road anyways. And I do like the roster we’ve compiled, though I do worry about the relative youth and inexperience.
Jesse is not going to come back as a walk on, it's as delusional as the people saying Buddy was going to give up his scholarship.

The ex-girlfriend vibes in this thread are quite evident

I appreciate you, Zoo, and respect your opinion. But you’re the one who’s been doing most of the arguing on this thread. Myself and a couple of others have suggested we should consider the possibility of courting Jesse to return as a walk-on, because he would significantly improve the center position. Or at least we’d support the idea if it’s at all realistic and the coaching staff thinks it could improve the roster. Most people on here seem to be against that idea. Which is fine. Appreciate their views and yours. No big deal. I feel like the staff won’t want to go down this road anyways. And I do like the roster we’ve compiled, though I do worry about the relative youth and inexperience.

Fair enough. It just seems foolish to be poking at his return to me( my opinion) even as a hypothetical at this juncture. Its all good. This year is an abyss of unknown but rather just drop that stake as of Jun 1.

Tough spot for each kid. Rosters have mostly filled up post portal madness so in pretty much every situation your opportunity may be less than they could have this year. When all is said and done guess 3 or 4 probably bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom