Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

Orangezoo

In the wind
As we all know, Eli is the foundation this year. It was very clear last night he is a calming presence on the court for his teammates. Pointing them to their spots, making plays all over the court and being the TKO guy when things get a little nervy.

I loved Tyus and think he was a great player to have in the program who left us like many do with some great memories.

Overall, I think in the same role that Eli is an upgrade. He is not the same player position wise but Eli has the kind of ability like Jdub did to smoothly take over and put a team over the top. Wish we had an Otis Hill to go with too...but instead we have more shooters vs inside guys. Although Quincy has some inside strength too.

Its too early to see where this goes, but I think Hughes might seal his name in the SU storybooks this year. We will discuss lineups, other guys and PG but really it's Eli who is the key. That includes being the guy who can bring the ball up the court whenever needed as well which may be required a good amount too with these young guards.

I'm not sure why, but I feel more confident about Hughes in the role than I ever did with Tyus. Something intangible. I also feel better about Quincy in his role than I did about Oshae. Again, nothing I can really put my finger on, but I believe, in the long run, the team is in better hands. And don't get me started on Frank...

I'm not sure why, but I feel more confident about Hughes in the role than I ever did with Tyus. Something intangible. I also feel better about Quincy in his role than I did about Oshae. Again, nothing I can really put my finger on, but I believe, in the long run, the team is in better hands. And don't get me started on Frank...
In one game, against a DII school, I can say with great confidence that Quincy is a far superior player than Oshae was during his time on the Hill.

In one game, against a DII school, I can say with great confidence that Quincy is a far superior player than Oshae was during his time on the Hill.

If this is meant in jest what is your point? No one said anything as an absolute and I caveated my initial thoughts as well. Might we not let the Football sourpuss in all of us stay locked up vs unleashing it all before hoops has really even hit the ground?

IMHO many SU fans still undervalue Tyus Battle. I suspect and hope that Hughes supporting cast is better than what Battle frequently had to work with.

I can't count the times when Tyus had to shoot or go to the hoop because there were no other better alternatives and the clock was running out. Hopefully Hughes won't be put in that situation as frequently as TB was.

IMHO many SU fans still undervalue Tyus Battle. I suspect and hope that Hughes supporting cast is better than what Battle frequently had to work with.

I can't count the times when Tyus had to shoot or go to the hoop because there were no other better alternatives and the clock was running out. Hopefully Hughes won't be put in that situation as frequently as TB was.

Actually it’s quite the opposite. He was a low percentage shooter who didn’t make teammates better. McNamara got killed for Going 6-16, but at least he would have 6 or 7 assists.

Tyus was a good player who did a lot for us. With that said his game was just not suited to be that guy. So while he was pressed into duty, he struggled as much as he succeeded. Last year there were games where Hughes really should have been the guy taking more shots. Tyus would forget to defer and was a ball stopper at times. Again, just the fact he wasn't built for the role he had to take on.

Elijah has attitude. Been missing that since Malachi and CJ Fair.

Actually it’s quite the opposite. He was a low percentage shooter who didn’t make teammates better. McNamara got killed for Going 6-16, but at least he would have 6 or 7 assists.
more gmac hagiography

he averaged 4.8 assists per game for his career. he never averaged 6, coming close only once at 5.9 as a senior. he brought some skills to the court, but he was never a sharp nor a savvy passer.

you can probably count on your fingers the number if times he had 7 assists or more . . but you'd need several rows of people to count the times he shot under 40% from the field.

more gmac hagiography

he averaged 4.8 assists per game for his career. he never averaged 6, coming close only once at 5.9 as a senior. he brought some skills to the court, but he was never a sharp nor a savvy passer.

you can probably count on your fingers the number if times he had 7 assists or more . . but you'd need several rows of people to count the times he shot under 40% from the field.

And Tyus never averaged more than 2.5 with a career average of 2.1. And at least McNamara never had his foot on the line when he made his shots. I knew this wasn’t going to be a popular opinion, but I’m glad he’s got his degree and we’ve moved on from the ISO ball of the past 2 years.

And Tyus never averaged more than 2.5 with a career average of 2.1. And at least McNamara never had his foot on the line when he made his shots. I knew this wasn’t going to be a popular opinion, but I’m glad he’s got his degree and we’ve moved on from the ISO ball of the past 2 years.
the offense was not pretty in those years, but it kept the team relevant and it was built around tyus' skills. he led the team to 2 ncaa invites and a sweet 16 run in the final dark years of probation. i think over time we'll come to realize that his commitment was nearly as important to the program as was j-dubs two decades earlier

I like Hughes, but I will never undervalue Tyus. He made a lot of clutch shots and game winning shots.

I don't undervalue him. The thread was about Hughes and what he can be. He shows signs of being more than Tyus was in the role of the lead scorer. It is progressive not a low blow to Tyus. There is no doubt Tyus was important nor is there doubt he had some flaws as being the foundation of the team. It is exciting to see what Hughes might be capable of. It would be huge for this season and the program if he can be a step or two above Tyus in this role.

I don't undervalue him. The thread was about Hughes and what he can be. He shows signs of being more than Tyus was in the role of the lead scorer. It is progressive not a low blow to Tyus. There is no doubt Tyus was important nor is there doubt he had some flaws as being the foundation of the team. It is exciting to see what Hughes might be capable of. It would be huge for this season and the program if he can be a step or two above Tyus in this role.
You think so? Tyus could bring the ball up the court against acc caliber defenders, maybe minus a couple defensive studs. I hope to be surprised, but I doubt Hughes will be able to do that.

Hughes can get off his shot quick and is very athletic. But to say he is more of an all around player or leader or is capable of more might be a push.

I love Elijah's abilities, but you are under selling battle's ability.

Looks like we've got a number of guys with strong handles - and not just guards. One of these times Dolezaj will go coast to coast for the flush.

there was a time fairly late in the game where he got a rebound and pushed it himself and briefly I thought he was going to swoop in for a coast to coast dunk, but instead he kicked it out to somebody for a 3.

You think so? Tyus could bring the ball up the court against acc caliber defenders, maybe minus a couple defensive studs. I hope to be surprised, but I doubt Hughes will be able to do that.

Hughes can get off his shot quick and is very athletic. But to say he is more of an all around player or leader or is capable of more might be a push.

I love Elijah's abilities, but you are under selling battle's ability.

Battle was a 2G, Elijah is a SF in our offense. Battle struggled mightily with his shot. His shot selection at times and court awareness lacked. As a cutter he was so so. He worked hard to get open but had his struggles there too. Again Tyus was great for us but let's not act like he was great a as primary ball handler. Even then my point was about the role of being the go to guy not the primary ball handler. Elijah is solid on the boards and in the passing lanes, has looked good as a passer and is a superior shooter. Thus there are signs he can better serve that role as a whole. Signs.. not proof or a dotted line signature. Different players. Again Tyus was good and I am not selling him short at all. There is also a reason his future is likely overseas. Great player, great for SU and some incredible moments carrying us through with some weak rosters.

Not sure how many more times I can reiterate how much I appreciate Battle and what he did for us. This was about Elijah not Tyus .

more gmac hagiography

The second best thrower of the lob pass in SU history. He became a very good playmaker in his last two seasons. Your hoops IQ is low if you didn’t think Gerry was a good passer.

The second best thrower of the lob pass in SU history. He became a very good playmaker in his last two seasons. Your hoops IQ is low if you didn’t think Gerry was a good passer.
believe me, i am more than comfortable having gerry fans call me low iq

because i know his passing was no better than average.

And Tyus was a terrible passer. If you’re going to give Tyus credit for carrying some of our recent teams then I don’t see why people you would poo poo McNamara 13 years later when he carried the misfit 2004 recruiting class that never developed.

Anyway I’m excited our go to player is someone who’s finally a Knock down shooter and doesn’t pound the ball for 20 seconds every possession.

Battle was a 2G, Elijah is a SF in our offense. Battle struggled mightily with his shot. His shot selection at times and court awareness lacked. As a cutter he was so so. He worked hard to get open but had his struggles there too. Again Tyus was great for us but let's not act like he was great a as primary ball handler. Even then my point was about the role of being the go to guy not the primary ball handler. Elijah is solid on the boards and in the passing lanes, has looked good as a passer and is a superior shooter. Thus there are signs he can better serve that role as a whole. Signs.. not proof or a dotted line signature. Different players. Again Tyus was good and I am not selling him short at all. There is also a reason his future is likely overseas. Great player, great for SU and some incredible moments carrying us through with some weak rosters.

Not sure how many more times I can reiterate how much I appreciate Battle and what he did for us. This was about Elijah not Tyus .
Fair points, not saying hughes cant be a go to player, but most of the time, I'd say in basketball the kid needs to be able to create his own shot to be a go to player. Tyus can against most, not sure about Elijah yet. That's why I'm surprised there is already talk that he will be better at the go to guy roll than Tyus.

Fair points, not saying hughes cant be a go to player, but most of the time, I'd say in basketball the kid needs to be able to create his own shot to be a go to player. Tyus can against most, not sure about Elijah yet. That's why I'm surprised there is already talk that he will be better at the go to guy roll than Tyus.

I think Hughes has shown to be very good at creating space with a quick dribble move to get his 3 off, and when he’s locked in he doesn’t need a ton of space either, and can hit even well contested ones.

Remains to be seen how much he can do as far as going by people and finishing or dishing.

Im hoping having multiple guys who can shoot, pass, and hopefully dribble will create good looks and lessen the need for a “just give the ball to _____ and get out of his way!” type of go to guy.

Well I’m not a fan because I like his hair. I’m a fan because he made plays for 4 years that helped us win. Shooting and PASSING.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom