Hughes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

more gmac hagiography

he averaged 4.8 assists per game for his career. he never averaged 6, coming close only once at 5.9 as a senior. he brought some skills to the court, but he was never a sharp nor a savvy passer.

you can probably count on your fingers the number if times he had 7 assists or more . . but you'd need several rows of people to count the times he shot under 40% from the field.

The second best thrower of the lob pass in SU history. He became a very good playmaker in his last two seasons. Your hoops IQ is low if you didn’t think Gerry was a good passer.
Agreed. I think Moqui is undervaluing Gmac. I rewatched most of the 2003 tourney run a year ago and came away impressed once again at how good Gmac was at finding guys in both the half court sets and on the fast break. Man, that team loved to get out and run. Sure, as a freshman he had some inconsistency, and Edelin was a more natural PG, but Gmac was damn good too at running the offense and finding guys.

Agreed. I think you’re undervaluing Gmac. I rewatched most of the 2003 tourney run a few years ago and came away impressed once again at how good Gmac was at finding guys in both the half court sets and on the fast break. Man, that team loved to get out and run. Sure, as a freshman he had some inconsistency, and Edelin was a more natural PG but Gmac was damn good too at running the offense and finding guys.

Yes, he was forced to play pg over sg because of Edelin’s suspensions for his 3 seasons at SU- Edelin played point for 23 games (23.2 min/g) in 2002-3, 17 games (33.1 min/g) in 2003-4, and 20 games (15.7min/g) in 2004-5 averaging 3 assists/game over his career here. So GMAC’s first 3 year stats reflects shared point guard minutes with Edelin. His senior year was the only year he was full time starting pg for all season , the same year we had to replace starters Hakim Warrick, Josh Pace, Craig Forth.

that article actually makes my case for the insane hagiography

but whatever. i'm as certain i'm never going to convince anyone about the reality of gmac as i am that i'm correct

I mean average six assists a game is pretty good?

And I get that Gmac legend has outgrown his actual ability on the court...but he also kept us relevant.

Agree. I'm firmly in the "he's a good player who was also inefficient and is overrated as a legend" camp, but it's a pretty nice luxury to have an inefficient off guard who can slide over to another position for parts of 4 years and run a halfway decent offense.

If only the last six SU teams had a McNamara who was able to produce at that level while playing out of position.

lol - come for the Hughes talk, stay for the GMac fights.
1572274661012.gif

If Buddy strengthens his handle and allows Hughes to play the 3 the majority of the game, we could be a very scary team. Hughes reminds me of a more dangerous perimeter oriented version of junior Fair

Hughes looks to be in better shape this year. Last year, I thought he looked a little doughy, and wondered if that's why he would have games where he scored 18 in the first half and next to nothing in the second half. He looks thinner and more defined this year.

If Buddy strengthens his handle and allows Hughes to play the 3 the majority of the game, we could be a very scary team. Hughes reminds me of a more dangerous perimeter oriented version of junior Fair

Even if he didn't Girard or Goodine would get first shot there. Hughes never played the 2 last year. There's no evidence he would ever play there.

Even if he didn't Girard or Goodine would get first shot there. Hughes never played the 2 last year. There's no evidence he would ever play there.

there is evidence he could have played there. He practiced his redshirt year as a 2 until about mid season and it was thought battle May return for his junior season (though it wasn’t definite at the time). I think if battle had left after his sophomore season, Hughes would have started at the 2 last year.

there is evidence he could have played there. He practiced his redshirt year as a 2 until about mid season and it was thought battle May return for his junior season (though it wasn’t definite at the time). I think if battle had left after his sophomore season, Hughes would have started at the 2 last year.

I didn’t say could I said would. I’ll take that bet he doesn’t play there this year if you care to wager.

I didn’t say could I said would. I’ll take that bet he doesn’t play there this year if you care to wager.

yes, you said would. I provided evidence that he would have last year if battle left. Now there is no need at all.

yes, you said would. I provided evidence that he would have last year if battle left. Now there is no need at all.

I was talking about this year bees. Good lord. We have 12 guys on this roster. That team had about 6 playable guys had Battle not returned.

Agreed. I think Moqui is undervaluing Gmac. I rewatched most of the 2003 tourney run a year ago and came away impressed once again at how good Gmac was at finding guys in both the half court sets and on the fast break. Man, that team loved to get out and run. Sure, as a freshman he had some inconsistency, and Edelin was a more natural PG, but Gmac was damn good too at running the offense and finding guys.
And that is why judging G-Mac by the mean doesn't capture what he did best - being a team guy, a floor leader and hitting clutch shots in big games. His assists also improved with experience ... senior year I think he dimed other guys at the rate of 5.9/gm. That's a pretty high assist rate for the leading scorer.

Last edited:
Agree I think he was our best clutch shooter - (John Wallace had some of that clutch play too) . Anyone who has played point guard, less having to be relied on playing it out of position, would know how demanding and exhaustive it is. He was relied upon to not only run the offense but run incessantly around screens, to be the offense, particularly in his senior year after 3 players graduated from the national championship team. His first 2 years when he shared PG with Edelin but was our shooting guard much more than in his last 2 years, he had his highest 3 point % (.357 & .389). Playing PG , he sacrificed his 3 point efficiency.

Then thing you can say about both GMAC and Tyus, was that they never dogged it. I'll take both of those players on my team any day, and I think they would have been great playing along side each other.

As for Hughes...it would not surprise me if we see him play some Point Forward this year. The offense is running through him and he can be effective out high...and I'm not sure our other PG's are seasoned enough yet.

Then thing you can say about both GMAC and Tyus, was that they never dogged it. I'll take both of those players on my team any day, and I think they would have been great playing along side each other.

As for Hughes...it would not surprise me if we see him play some Point Forward this year. The offense is running through him and he can be effective out high...and I'm not sure our other PG's are seasoned enough yet.
Completely agree! especially if our guards start turning it over at high rate.

By the way that’s not evidence, more theory given that Battle didn’t leave and we never had to find out how the lineup might have settled out if he had.

I was talking about this year bees. Good lord. We have 12 guys on this roster. That team had about 6 playable guys had Battle not returned.

you had also mentioned him not playing it last year, which is correct. I was just pointing out he practiced as a 2 and would have been the starting 2 if battle left. Nothing more nothing less. To take it a step further, if Brissett has stayed, I bet Hughes would be the starting 2 this year. :)

By the way that’s not evidence, more theory given that Battle didn’t leave and we never had to find out how the lineup might have settled out if he had.

the evidence is that he was practicing as a 2. No big deal.

A year ago Battle was coming off a Sweet 16 and considered one of the best returners in the country.

This thread is way off. I like Eli. But there was one thing he was terrible at and that was forcing the issue last year and creating offense when there was nothing open. He’s not gonna be good at that this year. Shooting open 3s, playing D, and taking it to the hole here and there he’s great. But he’s not an ideal fit to be our best player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom