Hunt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hunt

who's to say the shoplifting incident was the only thing.

Well that's the only incident we know of now. The amount of "possible" is too immense to even consider.

Yes, Coach Marrone should drop the whole integrity thing and let any kid play so that you can enjoy the game. Forget the kid's life as a whole. Forget about setting a good example because you're clearly much more important. And of course, justify what he should have done by comparing him to someone worse because that's how one should go about making decisions in life.
When did I ever make this about him playing the game so I can enjoy it? I'm pretty sure I approached this situation by focusing on the punishment, the numerous studies on how harsh punishments are counter productive, and these types of things can be products of their social environment (and yes, numerous studies have shown this to be true. I have read plenty of them for policy classes). The kid has lost nearly everything in his life recently, and then you take the one good thing he has going for him away. Does that make sense? No, everyone is looking at this like a black and white crime when the situation is much more complex than that. Marrone should have used this as a way to teach a struggling kid a lesson he will remember for the rest of his life rather than just punishing him, and not teaching him the value of anything. I'm d*mn sure that I have made it clear I'm more concerned about his future than the chances of him being our savior at QB. Do I like the idea of him being the starter next year? Yes. Does it have an impact on my judgment of the situation? Absolutely no.

To use Miller as an example is ludicrous. That was a violent robbery with an assault charge. That is quite different from jacking a bottle of cologne from a store. This black and white view of crime is the reason we have so many repeat offenders. We're one of the only developed nations that holds this view, and our crime rate is significantly higher than in other countries. I suppose you all deferred to Bush on Iraq as well or believed Clinton didn't have sexual relations with Lewinsky. Don't just blindly follow someone else's judgement.

When did I ever make this about him playing the game so I can enjoy it? I'm pretty sure I approached this situation by focusing on the punishment, the numerous studies on how harsh punishments are counter productive, and these types of things can be products of their social environment (and yes, numerous studies have shown this to be true. I have read plenty of them for policy classes). The kid has lost nearly everything in his life recently, and then you take the one good thing he has going for him away. Does that make sense? No, everyone is looking at this like a black and white crime when the situation is much more complex than that. Marrone should have used this as a way to teach a struggling kid a lesson he will remember for the rest of his life rather than just punishing him, and not teaching him the value of anything. I'm d*mn sure that I have made it clear I'm more concerned about his future than the chances of him being our savior at QB. Do I like the idea of him being the starter next year? Yes. Does it have an impact on my judgment of the situation? Absolutely no.

To use Miller as an example is ludicrous. That was a violent robbery with an assault charge. That is quite different from jacking a bottle of cologne from a store. This black and white view of crime is the reason we have so many repeat offenders. We're one of the only developed nations that holds this view, and our crime rate is significantly higher than in other countries. I suppose you all deferred to Bush on Iraq as well or believed Clinton didn't have sexual relations with Lewinsky. Don't just blindly follow someone else's judgement.

The new generation of Cali is here!!! What

Of course some kids don't have any parents to defend (or not) their actions.

I don't think anyone disagrees that punishment was in order. To state otherwise is strawman stuff. The problem some of us have is (a) consistency and (b) whether some other punishment would have been more appropriate.

That's true. But we only know what we know as fans. HCDM is closer to the situation. For us to question the punishment is like questioning how a neighbor raises (and punishes) his kids. He's in a much better situation to know what is consistent, fair and necessary.

I like how Hunt has now become the most exciting player on the team, without ever being seen in public. I honestly cant wait to see what this kids got

The Syracuse Football All-Hype No-Substance Hall of Lame (Post-McNabb)

Idris Price, LB
Chad Elliot, QB
Cecil Howard, QB
Larry McClain, CB
Barry Baker, RB
Darryl Kennedy, QB
Eric Ball, DT
Jamar Atkinson, LB
Ken Tinney, CB
Adam Hearns, QB
Luscious Pusey, LB (true, he wasn't hyped as a player)
Andre Baskin, WR
Jermaine Pierce, LB
Romale Tucker, LB
DeAndre Preaster, WR
Averin Collier, RB
Dale Peterman, CB
Jonny Miller, QB

Terrell Hunt, QB?

Any other nominees?

I'm glad our program isn't renegade like some others out there, who let DUIs, drug busts and other things basically go unnoticed.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, stealing a bottle of cologne is not a terribly big deal. But from where this kid is coming from, to where he is expected (and going to be pushed) to go, it actually is. If you don't nip it in the bud now, it will get progressively worse. Especially for a kid that grew up in the city, and is currently without both of his parents.

I'm sure it was very, very tough for Marrone to suspend him. I don't get the sense that Marrone is some bad guy who takes pleasure in punishing kids. He genuinely cares about each and every kid on the team (unless he's one of the greatest actors in the world). And after the all-access video that Hunt took part in last fall, who can't root for the kid? It's a great story, and anyone that wants to negatively impact his life intentionally is a fool.

15 practices does hurt - but it is NOT the end of the world. In all likelihood, Hunt wasn't going to see much time this year anyway unless Nassib got hurt. And (knock on wood) I hope it doesn't happen, but who's to say he won't see any time this year? There's still the entire summer and fall camp to improve.

Question for those that may know - Was Hunt allowed to still take part in position meetings and such? And how is he dealing with the suspension?

I hope that he is the answer. And even if he isn't, I hope he is able to get through this obstacle and finish out his four years at Syracuse and earn a degree. Coming from where he's from, and for what he's been through, that would be a HUGE accomplishment in qnd of itself.

If Marrone has anything other than a zero tolerance policy for stealing, especially after the Malcolm Cater incident, then feel free to call him an idiot. If you lack trust, good luck in having a winning team environment. I seriously question your values with a comment like that. It's not Marrone's fault that Hunt decided to put himself above the team and be a dope.
No one here knows if there have been other issues regarding the young man and stealing. For all we know this wasn't the first time.

who's to say the shoplifting incident was the only thing.
I didn't see this response when I posted much the same thing. Things around the football team may have gone missing for some time.

I like how Hunt has now become the most exciting player on the team, without ever being seen in public. I honestly cant wait to see what this kids got
I have seen both Hunt & Broyld in action. IMHO, Broyld is by miles, the better of the two. Always thought position change when I saw Hunt play. Others here are very high on Hunt, they may have seen him when I didn't. Only can go by by what my eyes have seen.

They could have punished him in spring ball by means ‘other’ than suspending him and then they could’ve suspended him a couple of games in the fall.

By doing it the way Marrone did it, he didn’t just punish the individual, he punished the entire team and overall health of the program.

Just for argument's sake, please point to one post from any poster in any thread where the "his environment did it" argument was suggested that you are so tired of hearing.

I'll wait.

BS straw man.

Cusestudent on page 1... "Crime is the product of social conditions when talking about this crime level."

i'm surprised people are downplaying stealing as a "boys will be boys" or something. doug has made it clear that he wants the kids in his program to be upstanding members of the community. upstanding members of the community do not go to the mall and try to steal . i would tend to lean toward leniency if it were a one-time thing, or a bad impulse decision and obviously i don't have all the facts or have any intuition as to the kids state of mind. but if there was any indication that this arrest was the result of a pattern of behavior, then doug needed to bring the hammer down. if doug thought that this was the punishment it was going to take to make it crystal clear to the program that this is unacceptable behavior, than so be it.

I
i'm surprised people are downplaying stealing as a "boys will be boys" or something. doug has made it clear that he wants the kids in his program to be upstanding members of the community. upstanding members of the community do not go to the mall and try to steal . i would tend to lean toward leniency if it were a one-time thing, or a bad impulse decision and obviously i don't have all the facts or have any intuition as to the kids state of mind. but if there was any indication that this arrest was the result of a pattern of behavior, then doug needed to bring the hammer down. if doug thought that this was the punishment it was going to take to make it crystal clear to the program that this is unacceptable behavior, than so be it.
I "liked" your post although frankly I haven't noticed much in the way of "boys will be boys" from other posters.

I want to clarify my position, because I obviously haven't made my point clearly if you are concluding that I am downplaying stealing or advocating leniency / preferentially favorable treatment for Hunt just because he's a QB. I am glad that Marrone is a hard ass. I am glad that Hunt got punished--deservedly so. One of the most important things that Marrone has done [my opinion only here--so apologies in advance for the soapbox] was changing the culture of the program and instilling discipline amongst the players.

Hunt committed a crime. He absolutely deserved to be punished in some fashion. I don't take issue with that punishment being severe, or with Marrone meting out a punishment that he deems appropriate to the circumstances. I just wish that the punishment wasn't him being suspended for spring practice [couldn't care less about him being held out of the spring game as part of the punishment], because it is counterproductive from a development standpoint as Tomcat explained in his post.

Two other things. Me talking about Hunt's infraction relative to other things isn't chalking it up to "boys will be boys." I believe there is a substantive difference between what Hunt did and infractions involving drugs, fighting, sexual abuse, etc. I don't condone shoplifting--it was a stupid mistake that the kid made. I just don't view it on par as the things listed above. That doesn't mean that stealing isn't a problem, or that it doesn't warrant a steep penalty.

Also, I agree that we don't have all of the information that Marrone is privy to. Maybe there were other things--like the pattern of behavior you allude to--that required a more severe penalty. Then again, maybe there wasn't. In that regard, the opposite of your point is also true--absent a pattern of negative behavior, that should work in the player's favor in terms of a lesser penalty if this is a first offense. If Hunt is a good student, didn't have issues on / off the field, etc. then maybe a suspension is too harsh. And if there were underlying issues, then perhaps the suspension was right on the money. As you point out, we don't have all the facts. I just wish that there had been a way to penalize the sh-t out of the kid without him having to miss spring practice because it hurt the team.

I agree, Doug was an idiot on this. We have politicians and coaches that have done far worse and seen no consequences.

From what I understand - very good source - his options were as follows: (1) kick him out of school; (2) suspend him from the football team for one year or (3) suspend him for spring practice.

Coach Marrone preaches accountability on and off the field. He had to take some action.

I understand that Terrel was very contrite and was willing to accept whatever punishment was given.

It seems that he is a good kid who made a mistake.

I for one hope and expect that he will have a great summer and will be ready to compete in the fall. Heck, Greg Paulus hadn't played in four years and didn't have a spring practice - and he was able to play effectively in the fall.

So, I would not give up the ship just yet.

From what I understand - very good source - his options were as follows: (1) kick him out of school; (2) suspend him from the football team for one year or (3) suspend him for spring practice.

Coach Marrone preaches accountability on and off the field. He had to take some action.

I understand that Terrel was very contrite and was willing to accept whatever punishment was given.

It seems that he is a good kid who made a mistake.

I for one hope and expect that he will have a great summer and will be ready to compete in the fall. Heck, Greg Paulus hadn't played in four years and didn't have a spring practice - and he was able to play effectively in the fall.

So, I would not give up the ship just yet.
Re: "his options were as follows"

Those options came from?

A. TGD

B. TWO

No comment.

Regardless of whom those options came from, it is obvious someone on the hill whether it be Marrone himself, TGD, TWO or OTTO was fed up with the off the field issues the past year or so. Someone said enough is enough, we are laying down the hammer. Hunt was the first after that and caught by bad timing.

Regardless of whom those options came from, it is obvious someone on the hill whether it be Marrone himself, TGD, TWO or OTTO was fed up with the off the field issues the past year or so. Someone said enough is enough, we are laying down the hammer. Hunt was the first after that and caught by bad timing.

That makes a lot of sense.

That makes a lot of sense.

I might also add that to people like TWO and the BOT, $$$$ is a driver. You take the football perception with Cater's well publicized issues and time in jail, Carters well publicized legal issue, Sales well publicized drug issue, Millers publicized assault issue and then toss onto it the basketball side with the ultra publicized Fine issue, the widely publicized drug test accusations, the very publicized Fab Melo issue and even the potential APR issue and you see that publicity wise, SU has taken a huge hit the past year or so. That can and does impact $$$ that comes into SU in various forms. I can see TWO grabbing TGD by the throat and telling him to get the message to JB, DM, JD, etc. that the next athlete that causes even the smallest legal issue will pay. Hunt was that athlete. Maybe just maybe the next athlete that thinks about stealing something, or getting caught up in drugs, or punching someone will think twice about it and will realize it's not worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom