hurry up offense | Syracusefan.com

hurry up offense

tipphill

All Conference
i think we need to revisit this. this team does not appear to be at the point where they can execute in this scheme. receivers appear to loose focus and ol does not appear ready for this pace. just saying this as i am no expert. i do feel if this continues maybe we need to rethink our strategy a bit. just throwing this out there for more knowlegable commentary. execution was horrible. we do not throw north and south at all. is that because we can't??? i do not know.

"Revisiting" this scheme = new Head Coach
One bad does not equal a new scheme
MTSU defense gave us pressure and looks we where seeing for the first time
Resetting the scheme now sets us back another three years, no thanks

I'm fine with the passing scheme. The players just need to execute better.

The running scheme, on the other hand, is horrendous.

"...

Agree with your bottom line, but the pressure and looks were not surprising, and other teams will now do the same thing. Need some wrinkles in the scheme to adjust to what we have. Elmore has earned more snaps. Big issue at RB and don't yet have the answer at the second outside receiver spot.

"Revisiting" this scheme = new Head Coach
One bad does not equal a new scheme

Yep.

i think we need to revisit this. this team does not appear to be at the point where they can execute in this scheme. receivers appear to loose focus and ol does not appear ready for this pace. just saying this as i am no expert. i do feel if this continues maybe we need to rethink our strategy a bit. just throwing this out there for more knowlegable commentary. execution was horrible. we do not throw north and south at all. is that because we can't??? i do not know.

It's not the scheme, it's the fact that there isn't an OL or receiver that's really worth a damn. Eta-Tawo showed that Baber's O can work (at least marginally), even with a crappy OL, as long as there's a WR with ability and can mix it up with 6'2" DBs. We don't have that now, and it's made worse with a miserable OL.

Agree with your bottom line, but the pressure and looks were not surprising, and other teams will now do the same thing. Need some wrinkles in the scheme to adjust to what we have. Elmore has earned more snaps. Big issue at RB and don't yet have the answer at the second outside receiver spot.

This Defense brings a unique volume of pressure, sure we will see more pressure. We will most likely no see this much pressure.

What is it about the OL that is the problem? Youth? Talent? Can't quite learn the system fast enough? Unable to learn the system? Are the WR's not doing their thing quickly enough? I'm sick of watching Dungey being chased like he's the only female in a bar full of men.

People have gotten used to coaches that tried to "fit" their offense to the talent. It hasn't worked. We've seen that over the years. If the talent isn't that good "fitting" your offense to it means your offense won't be good.

Babers has a proven offense, and he's not "fitting" what he does in the meantime to the current talent. It's painful to watch but is the right long term play. Because of the track record I'm willing to say that there is a talent issue, since we're struggling in ways against programs that should be considered a tier below where we are and that's not something that's ever been an issue for Babers.

The discouraging thing is it's hard to say what it is that we do well right now. Pitch and catch with Ish maybe? I think playing fast is about all we can do to press any advantage we've got.

What is it about the OL that is the problem? Youth? Talent? Can't quite learn the system fast enough? Unable to learn the system? Are the WR's not doing their thing quickly enough? I'm sick of watching Dungey being chased like he's the only female in a bar full of men.
I mean, the excessive number of drops indicate a talent issue I'd think.

People have gotten used to coaches that tried to "fit" their offense to the talent. It hasn't worked. We've seen that over the years. If the talent isn't that good "fitting" your offense to it means your offense won't be good.

Babers has a proven offense, and he's not "fitting" what he does in the meantime to the current talent. It's painful to watch but is the right long term play. Because of the track record I'm willing to say that there is a talent issue, since we're struggling in ways against programs that should be considered a tier below where we are and that's not something that's ever been an issue for Babers.

The discouraging thing is it's hard to say what it is that we do well right now. Pitch and catch with Ish maybe? I think playing fast is about all we can do to press any advantage we've got.
Ish has to catch. And dungey has to accurately pitch it. We had problems on both fronts yesterday.

Erv and Ishmael have a bad night and suddenly they're "not worth a damn"

They're not All Americans but they're not scrubs.

I feel that they are both complimentary players that NEED a big time play maker to help them produce better than they do. Solid WR's but they have flaws in their games that stand out when they face good defenses.

Erv and Ishmael have a bad night and suddenly they're "not worth a damn"

They're not All Americans but they're not scrubs.
Did Erv even see the ball in the 1st half?

Heavy feet, and too weak. As for Servais, his foot injury, I suspect, is worse than is being reported.

Heavy feet, and too weak. As for Servais, his foot injury, I suspect, is worse than is being reported.

Interesting...to weak, always thought the weight room would take care of that. Hurt losing Roberts as well and makes sense about Servais.

Interesting...to weak, always thought the weight room would take care of that. Hurt losing Roberts as well and makes sense about Servais.
Should really have said "heavy feet, or too weak". It's pretty much one or the other, not an "optimized" combination of the two.

Should really have said "heavy feet, or too weak". It's pretty much one or the other, not an "optimized" combination of the two.
I was interpreting it as they make up for their heavy feet by being too weak.

No don't worry, that's the way I read it.

I was interpreting it as they make up for their heavy feet by being too weak.
If you're talking McGloster, then I totally agree.

The strong OL aren't all that nimble on their feet. The nimble OL just aren't all that strong. I used to tell Steven that you don't have to be the strongest or fastest lineman, but rather be the strongest-fastest lineman. Kinda like optimizing the area under the curve.

#1 It won't happen
#2 It shouldn't happen
People were optimistically hoping that when HCDB said that this thing is going to take time, that it was coach speak. We're right where we should be on this long road back to relevance...just beyond the starting line. If you scrap an offense just because you aren't winning, you'll be spinning your tires forever. It would require a rebuild on top of a current rebuild. Then when the new offensive scheme isn't working to everyone's satisfaction after 14 games, we'll want to scrap that one and move on to another one? Sounds like an endless cycle to me. Let's just all sit back, give Dino 4 years to show us what he can do, knowing there will be plenty of bumps and dark days, and revisit scrapping this or that in 2020.

#1 It won't happen
#2 It shouldn't happen
People were optimistically hoping that when HCDB said that this thing is going to take time, that it was coach speak. We're right where we should be on this long road back to relevance...just beyond the starting line. If you scrap an offense just because you aren't winning, you'll be spinning your tires forever. It would require a rebuild on top of a current rebuild. Then when the new offensive scheme isn't working to everyone's satisfaction after 14 games, we'll want to scrap that one and move on to another one? Sounds like an endless cycle to me. Let's just all sit back, give Dino 4 years to show us what he can do, knowing there will be plenty of bumps and dark days, and revisit scrapping this or that in 2020.
The actual "hurry-up" is the best part of this offense. I'm not enamored with the route trees and failure to use the center of the field but, hopefully, that will be changed.

On a side note: I wonder if the staff intentionally put in another very vanilla offensive game plan fully expecting to move the ball against MTSU? Almost every pass was sideline oriented...even the very few vertical passes we attempted.

Um. Nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom