hurry up offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hurry up offense

If you're talking McGloster, then I totally agree.

The strong OL aren't all that nimble on their feet. The nimble OL just aren't all that strong. I used to tell Steven that you don't have to be the strongest or fastest lineman, but rather be the strongest-fastest lineman. Kinda like optimizing the area under the curve.
I look at a player like McGloster, and obviously hoped he really had improved, but he's exactly the kind of limited player with exactly the kind of background and pedigree that tells me we still have some gaps if he's our best option.

The young guys playing are probably our best option but that's problematic too since they aren't yet what they can be.

Scheme yesterday was to counter the expected blitzes by quick pitches to the sidelines allowing our edge guys to beat the DB one-on-one. Didn't work and we weren't ready to adjust. Don't understand not using Pierce in the middle of the field at all. Seems like that would have been there all game.

The actual "hurry-up" is the best part of this offense. I'm not enamored with the route trees and failure to use the center of the field but, hopefully, that will be changed.

On a side note: I wonder if the staff intentionally put in another very vanilla offensive game plan fully expecting to move the ball against MTSU? Almost every pass was sideline oriented...even the very few vertical passes we attempted.
that was one of my points, we do not throw north and south at alL. appreciate all the comments and insights. we cannot catch ball, cannot block, etc. well i guess it is a talent issue. how do we maximize what we have????are there other players we need to give shot to?? i believe all are right about the uptempo --in the long term. i also believe this team as they are, has problems with that. it was one of the worst performances in awhile, and play calling was poor. its just a matter of time that the sideline passing game gets one or more pick six. we are totally one dimensional--sideline passing game,thats it.
i thought dungey played well as did mahony for the brief time he was in.

if you cant run block, or get WR separation, or handle blitzes, there isnt a ton of stuff left you can run.. we went to a wacky formation and jet screens and blocked those just as poorly.

we moved the ball inside the 40 all day and for all of that, had we kicked a FG instead of failing on fourth and made the other we missed. we still just needed a fg to win late on the last 2 drives.

no idea if anyone was open all day because the internet feed is such a bad view of the game and so seldom show any replays.

if they cant fix the oline mistakes then you cant run the other pass routes that dont require the speed to get open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom