Hyperbolic Vitale statement of the night | Syracusefan.com

Hyperbolic Vitale statement of the night

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Said that it will have to be a Villanova vs Gtown finals situation for Kentucky to lose. Some team is going to have to play a perfect game to beat them.

I dont get it. The hype on this team is like three standard deviations beyond reality. Yes, they are a good team. Yes, they may even be a dominant team. But please, they are not a generationally great team. Is there one guy on that team that is at Patrick Ewings level of dominance? This is a team that lets Columbia and Buffalo hang around deep into the second half.

Am I just blind or something for not buying into the hype?

They're good but I'd hold up on building a siamese statue of the twins at the rupp. Well balanced and the big guys are scary but they can be stopped in the turny. They might even lose a conference game if it's an off night and not dominant on the boards. We'll see how it's all spun after the 'ville.

Said that it will have to be a Villanova vs Gtown finals situation for Kentucky to lose. Some team is going to have to play a perfect game to beat them.

I dont get it. The hype on this team is like three standard deviations beyond reality. Yes, they are a good team. Yes, they may even be a dominant team. But please, they are not a generationally great team. Is there one guy on that team that is at Patrick Ewings level of dominance? This is a team that lets Columbia and Buffalo hang around deep into the second half.

Ridiculous. Kentucky is a 2.5 point favorite over Duke on neutral court. Heck, they're only 4 point faves over Ohio St. on a neutral court.

They have soooooooooooo much talent. Multiple guys can have an off night and there are multiple other guys to balance it out. And defense doesn't have off nights.

KY seems to play up or down to their competition. They rise up and are motivated to easily handle the Texas's and UNC's, but then they seem to just show up to beat the Columbia's. As much as I dislike them, they are a dominating team, even without Poythress, which hurts but they are still very deep. Any team can have a What game and lose, but Dickie V has a point. Interestingly, I was actually in attendance when Villanova beat Gtown for the championship, and ironically it was in Rupp Arena.

That is crazy. Kentucky dominated Kansas on a neutral court but all the rest if their games have been at coRUPPt Arena. They get all the calls at home. Calipari has followed the Coach K playbook and plays neutral site games against good teams and then home games. UK is the best team in the country right now but them losing is not a Gtown 85 situation. If they played in the B1G\ACC they would lose a couple of road games their conference sucks though.
Vitale's act is thin he loves K/Calipari/Roy Williams/Pitino and loves to talk in hyperbola.
Kentucky will be a favorite in every game but they won't run the table.

I don't think they will lose more than a game or two.

I could see a team that zones them and somehow limits them to shooting a lot of 3's and midrange shots, slows it down, and shoots the lights out from 3 knocking them off in the tournament.

But they're looking pretty tough.

They don't have to be a once in a generation team to dominate the current college hoops landscape. Most of these teams suck.

OrangeDW said:
I don't think they will lose more than a game or two. I could see a team that zones them and somehow limits them to shooting a lot of 3's and midrange shots, slows it down, and shoots the lights out from 3 knocking them off in the tournament. But they're looking pretty tough. They don't have to be a once in a generation team to dominate the current college hoops landscape. Most of these teams suck.

I wouldn't want them going inside either, they have a few legit big men.

The Kentucky hype is beginning to echo the rah rah hysteria that surrounded the 1990–91 UNLV Runnin' Rebels. A team with a similarly ethically challenged coach.

I hope the "experts" prove to be equally fallible.

He's always over the top. Duke, Arizona, Louisville are very strong and each would have a very real shot at beating UK. The hype for UK is only going to grow since there doesn't seem to be anyone in the SEC that can beat them with Florida being a little down this year.

At this point, Kentucky would have to be about even money against the field. I hope the committee gives them the toughest draw ever.

sounds familiar. jan. 2011

During the first half of the Kansas-Baylor basketball game, which followed the SU-Pitt game on ESPN, commentator Dick Vitale remarked, "No one is going to beat Syracuse in the regular season." As Dickie V wrote last week, the Orange have already beaten several ranked teams like Florida and Marquette, plus they blew out Seton Hall by 26 in the Big East opener.

anyone seen that banner?

"anyone seen that banner"

I think it's somewhere in New England?

sounds familiar. jan. 2011

During the first half of the Kansas-Baylor basketball game, which followed the SU-Pitt game on ESPN, commentator Dick Vitale remarked, "No one is going to beat Syracuse in the regular season." As Dickie V wrote last week, the Orange have already beaten several ranked teams like Florida and Marquette, plus they blew out Seton Hall by 26 in the Big East opener.

anyone seen that banner?

I mean, that was a pretty good prediction on his part, we only lost one regular season game that year (at ND).

Remember that most of the players are extremely young, freshmen. They are the clear #1 RIGHT NOW just a month into their NCAA careers. Imagine where Cal will have them in 3-4 months. Last year's team turned it on right when they needed to and I suspect this year they could develop into a truly dominant team.

Vitale is ridiculous. He is one of the most over the top guys out there. Why is anyone surprised?

I mean, that was a pretty good prediction on his part, we only lost one regular season game that year (at ND).

That would have been January 2012, no?

That would have been January 2012, no?

I think tbonezone may have meant Jan 2012 if we're talking about beating Florida/Marquette/Seton Hall.

I think tbonezone may have meant Jan 2012 if we're talking about beating Florida/Marquette/Seton Hall.

Well, if tbonezone got the date wrong [which makes sense], then I agree with your post above: as improbable / unlikely as going undefeated through a regular season is, we nearly accomplished it that year. And if Vitale made that prediction--when the odds were heavily in favor of it not happening--then it was a pretty good call on his part.

Kentucky is good and they will only get better as their younger players play more. It will take a team having their best game to beat them or one of the worst games by Kentucky.

Eric15 said:

Without the BE defensive player of the year. We could have gone undefeated, with ease.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if they went undefeated, but saying a perfect storm has to occur to stop is a little overboard. That's Vitale's shtick though. He'll probably say the same about Arizona soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom