Hypotheical: Would you trade the 96, 13 and 16 final four runs for the 87 championship? | Syracusefan.com

Hypotheical: Would you trade the 96, 13 and 16 final four runs for the 87 championship?

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Might seem like an easy answer to some but not so much for myself. I know it's all about winning championships in the end but Final Four runs are something I also hold very dear as well. Those three runs in 96, 13 and 16 were very special to me for different reasons. All three brought us magical games that have gone down in Syracuse lore. So would you trade Wallace to Cipolla, shutting down the number one seed Hoosiers in the sweet 16 and the comeback in Chicago to finally beat Virginia for a Keith Smart miss or a couple extra made free throws?

I was in 11 years old in 1987, I cried after Syracuse lost that game. But I also got a little misty for different reasons entirely in 96 and 16. I honestly think i'd prefer having those three runs than the championship.

Might seem like an easy answer to some but not so much for myself. I know it's all about winning championships in the end but Final Four runs are something I also hold very dear as well. Those three runs in 96, 13 and 16 were very special to me for different reasons. All three brought us magical games that have gone down in Syracuse lore. So would you trade Wallace to Cipolla, shutting down the number one seed Hoosiers in the sweet 16 and the comeback in Chicago to finally beat Virginia for a Keith Smart miss or a couple extra made free throws?

I was in 11 years old in 1987, I cried after Syracuse lost that game. But I also got a little misty for different reasons entirely in 96 and 16. I honestly think i'd prefer having those three runs than the championship.

I personally wouldn't. I think the fact that we have been to a Final Four in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s is a testament to our program's sustained longevity and I wouldn't want to trade that in.

Those three runs in 96, 13 and 16 were very special to me for different reasons. All three brought us magical games that have gone down in Syracuse lore. So would you trade Wallace to Cipolla, shutting down the number one seed Hoosiers in the sweet 16 and the comeback in Chicago to finally beat Virginia for a Keith Smart miss or a couple extra made free throws?

I would trade the last 2 Final Fours for a Keith Smart "around and out" in 1987 in a heartbeat. But the 1996 team was one of the best times in SU basketball history.

Tough question...but yes I would.

Really hurt to lose that '87 title game against Indiana. Still, SU needed the recent FF runs to rebuild its status with current fans and current recruits.

Tough question! Im not sure. Losing that title game was so painful—and it lasted a long time, especially when coupled with the 1989 Elite Eight loss to Illinois with one of our best rosters ever. I like the consistency of us having a Final Four in every decade since the 70s and then two recent ones. That and all our Big East championships (regular season and tourneys) have kept us among the elite teams and best programs in the country.

As a side note, I always believed that winning the title in 87 or 89 could have changed the trajectory of Cuse hoops and sent us to a higher level. But then again, the stupid early 90s NCAA investigation really hurt us and helped UConn to overtake us in recruiting.

I would trade the last 2 Final Fours for a Keith Smart "around and out" in 1987 in a heartbeat. But the 1996 team was one of the best times in SU basketball history.
I can say that I would trade our two recent Final Fours for a championship in 2010 or 2012.

No. And only because I didn't start following until 88-89. Sorry, I'm selfish. :)

My initial reaction was to say 'yes', since I still remember how devastated I was as a 15 year old back in '87. But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that 2003 meant so much more to me (given the years of suffering) - and I agree with a previous post about how I take pride in the sustained run and the fact that we've been back to the Final Four again and again over the years.

And I'm man enough to admit that I did literally cry tears of joy when we came back and beat Virginia in 2016. I still can't believe that happened.

Nope was too young in 87 and would never trade the GEORGIA game or the UVa win.

I was 14 and I cried as well. It was utterly heartbreaking to lose the title like that. ...just make 1 out of two Derrick... Ugh I have never watched it since.

We should have had that... add 2010 to that as well. feg!

Easy...Yes!!! The pain of the '87 Championship game was too much.

I guess it's because I was a fan longer, but the 1987 loss, for me, was not that devastating, because to me, it announced us as a legit national power. We clearly outplayed Indiana under Bobby Knight. Our previous Final Four was kind of a joke, and we were openly mocked in Sports Illustrated in 1975.

After Pearl left early, I was heartbroken to lose such a once-in-a-lifetime talent, losing the NCAA tournament on our home floor to Navy, a team we had badly beaten already that season.

So for me, 1987 indicated that we were finally a force to be reckoned with. Seikaly was coming back the next year, Coleman was back, Sherm was back, we were freaking loaded, and remained a powerhouse until sanctions. So I didn't take the loss in 1987 quite so badly as many here did - and in part, because it was one of the great games I've ever seen. Coleman's two-handed block/catch of that shot; the fast break where the alley oop attempt was tipped, only for another SU player to dunk it home. So many great moments in that game. It was a shame we lost, but we were the better team, we had a brilliant future in front of us, and we looked like the Showtime LA Lakers out there.

I wonder why you didn't add 1975 to the list we had to give up. While that was a stunner, to say the least, it was special to me. It allowed me to say to the guys back home (Umass and B.C. fans) see, we went to the final four. Back to the question at hand. One of the best board questions of all time. It basically asks if we would rather be N.C. State than us. Or Nova. Yes. Gun to my head, yes. I will take the two titles.

I will say this...I probably would trade for the 87 championship for this one reason...if SU wins it there our history is completely different. We probably get Kenny Anderson etc. just an example. The last 25 years probably would be totally different in terms of players here etc. exciting to think about, but I will say ‘96 was awesome! ‘13 and ‘16 were also great because my son was just getting into basketball and into SU for ‘13 and then ‘16 he took it personally like I do. Damn that Triche charge call.

I guess it's because I was a fan longer, but the 1987 loss, for me, was not that devastating, because to me, it announced us as a legit national power. We clearly outplayed Indiana under Bobby Knight. Our previous Final Four was kind of a joke, and we were openly mocked in Sports Illustrated in 1975.

After Pearl left early, I was heartbroken to lose such a once-in-a-lifetime talent, losing the NCAA tournament on our home floor to Navy, a team we had badly beaten already that season.

So for me, 1987 indicated that we were finally a force to be reckoned with. Seikaly was coming back the next year, Coleman was back, Sherm was back, we were freaking loaded, and remained a powerhouse until sanctions. So I didn't take the loss in 1987 quite so badly as many here did - and in part, because it was one of the great games I've ever seen. Coleman's two-handed block/catch of that shot; the fast break where the alley oop attempt was tipped, only for another SU player to dunk it home. So many great moments in that game. It was a shame we lost, but we were the better team, we had a brilliant future in front of us, and we looked like the Showtime LA Lakers out there.

That lob pass was intended for Triche and was tipped to Seikaly! On that Coleman block I still don’t understand how that was a foul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom