Hypothetical Recruiting Board | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical Recruiting Board

DilemaCuse

All Conference
This thread is designed for predicting what the recruiting board looks like at this point now that Tape and Towns are out

There's debate over what is needed, natural pg, scoring SF, or C

So go ahead and post who would be ideal to get the remaining scholarships that are available whether through HS or transfer market

Couple of things I noticed that maybe the insiders would know, what was it the staff preferred in Kadary over Josh Primo from Toronto who is set to announce soon?

Also would either of these HS Centers #2 and 3 from CT be an option at this point? I feel they should have offered the #1 kid, a pg who is going to A&M

A 4th guard and a combo forward center

I.E. Battle and Morgan

Just try to get the kid from Montreal before it's too late!!!! He fits the mold perfectly, big guard, good handle, would be great with Kadary!

Karim Mane! Come on down!

https://uga./news/wednesday-s-leftovers-greg-brown-karim-mane-duke

Speaking with him last week, Mane is holding out hope that the ban on visits will be lifted on April 15 and, if that is the case, would take a handful of visits before committing.

He has just taken a single official visit to Marquette on Jan. 4, and while the Golden Eagles remain a top suitor, Mane remains open to others. Beyond MSU, he is also speaking with Alabama, DePaul, Georgetown, Memphis, Pitt and Wake Forest. There was a belief earlier in the year that he might test the NBA waters, but there is now a better chance of Mane attending college in the fall.

Go get him for us, Quincy, tell the coaches to stop being so lazy! The French Canadian pipeline!

In a perfect world, we would have a 13 man roster broken out something like this:

2 centers
1 C/PF
2 PFs
2 SFs
1 SF/SG
2 SGs
2 PGs
1 CG

First line. Check (Sidibe and Edwards)
Second line. Check. Bol Ajak.
Third line. Check. Marek and Quincy.
Fourth line. Check. Maybe. Braswell and Newton.
Fifth line. No. You could put Buddy or Kadary here for emergency minutes but neither fits well.
Sixth line. No. Buddy. Short one.
Seventh line. No. Kadary. Short one.
Eight line. Check. Girard.

So assuming Braswell returns, I think we are in pretty good shape up front. That said, I think at minimum, we need a wing that can play SF and ideally also play some up front in the 2-3, as well as a combo guard that can play minutes at both guard positions.

Kind of surprised we are pursing transfers who play center. I can understand Tape since he only has one season left and a couple of our centers look like they have a way to go to be physically ready to contribute. I am going to assume we are interested in the kid from Cali only because he would be a really good fit for our system.

Let’s talk about the biggest missing ingredient. A SF who can shoot from the outside and drive.

Even though Marek and Quincy were big parts of the team this season, they didn’t play together much, and when they did, Marek was almost always at center. Can they co-exist playing together with a center? I question that, given you will have three guys who all will be trying to play in the paint. For spacing and ball movement, it would be better to have a true wing on the team that is a threat to score from the outside and is capable of slashing to the basket and scoring (and rebounding some too!). I think Newton will be that guy in a year or two but probably not as a frosh. Bras seems like a perimeter player on offense. That could be useful but unless he can show the ability to slash inside, he isn’t the answer we need here. We really need that slashing ability to take advantage of the space inside we know will be available to drive with our guards, and to take advantage of the passing ability of Marek, Joe and Buddy. It is a shame Towns went to OSU. He could have been really good replacing Elijah as our SF.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Elijah will return. If not, I think we need an experienced SF who can slash, and hopefully play passable defense, rebound some and also maybe pass and shoot well. That is asking a lot but I think a smart and talented SF might be out there that pines for the freedom to create and free lance that Elijah enjoyed. Hope we can find that player and convince him to enroll here.

Finding a guy with basically Eli's Jr. year skillset, who wants to transfer, is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

In the dark. While it's raining. Wearing a blindfold.

UNC can get a guy like that. (Cam Johnson, for 4 of his 7 years in college)
Duke can get a guy like that. (Rodney Hood)
Can we? Again?

Finding a guy with basically Eli's Jr. year skillset, who wants to transfer, is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Can we? Again?

Can we? Again?
Are we going to find another years very unlikely. We need someone who has a similar game.

Can we? Again?
When have we or any other team replaced a player with the exact same type of player?

It doesn't happen that's like saying let's replace Michael Jordan with Kobe Bryant.

Next year's team will be different than this year's team on offense and defense.

When have we or any other team replaced a player with the exact same type of player?

It doesn't happen that's like saying let's replace Michael Jordan with Kobe Bryant.

Next year's team will be different than this year's team on offense and defense.
Yep, people lament the loss of players every year and their impossible to replace offensive numbers. And every year players improve and step up and fill the void. Of course, this is done with varying results. But, the enjoyment, for me at least, is the fluid nature of the college game. I do wish it were a bit less fluid, but it is the nature of the game. Our coaches will fill the roster and the team will be competitive and we will complain about losses and celebrate wins...rinse, wash, repeat.

Would be nice to solidify the middle with a strong defensive 5. And we need a guard, of course. If he could play right away I'd go for Jamarius Burton from Wichita, but he can't.

Hypothetically, what if GMac were to find Bigfoot on one of his fishing trips. They bond over a salmon and he convinces him to shave and matriculate at SU.
Knowing our luck, we would shave Bigfoot and under all that fur is a scrawny 127lb dude with no back to the basket moves and a questionable outside shot.

Yep, people lament the loss of players every year and their impossible to replace offensive numbers. And every year players improve and step up and fill the void. Of course, this is done with varying results. But, the enjoyment, for me at least, is the fluid nature of the college game. I do wish it were a bit less fluid, but it is the nature of the game. Our coaches will fill the roster and the team will be competitive and we will complain about losses and celebrate wins...rinse, wash, repeat.

But are they REALLY filling the void?

I just wish Howard Washington would change his mind. There's your 4th guard.

Change his mind? I was pretty sure he was leaving as soon as his mom and dad were killing the program on social media very early in the season.

Change his mind? I was pretty sure he was leaving as soon as his mom and dad were killing the program on social media very early in the season.

What were they saying? I thought Howard was grateful for the way he'd been treated here.

I just wish Howard Washington would change his mind. There's your 4th guard.
When a player makes up his mind to leave, there is usually nothing that will change his mind. While I like Howard Washington and his stability also, the fact is that he showed very little offensive (points) during his limited minutes. He did distribute the ball well but did not look for his shot.

Long list here

Anybody worth taking?

When a player makes up his mind to leave, there is usually nothing that will change his mind. While I like Howard Washington and his stability also, the fact is that he showed very little offensive (points) during his limited minutes. He did distribute the ball well but did not look for his shot.

Which is why he'd make a perfect fourth guard. An emergency guy who is going to avoid mistakes and get the ball to other people.

In a perfect world, we would have a 13 man roster broken out something like this:

2 centers
1 C/PF
2 PFs
2 SFs
1 SF/SG
2 SGs
2 PGs
1 CG

First line. Check (Sidibe and Edwards)
Second line. Check. Bol Ajak.
Third line. Check. Marek and Quincy.
Fourth line. Check. Maybe. Braswell and Newton.
Fifth line. No. You could put Buddy or Kadary here for emergency minutes but neither fits well.
Sixth line. No. Buddy. Short one.
Seventh line. No. Kadary. Short one.
Eight line. Check. Girard.

So assuming Braswell returns, I think we are in pretty good shape up front. That said, I think at minimum, we need a wing that can play SF and ideally also play some up front in the 2-3, as well as a combo guard that can play minutes at both guard positions.

Kind of surprised we are pursing transfers who play center. I can understand Tape since he only has one season left and a couple of our centers look like they have a way to go to be physically ready to contribute. I am going to assume we are interested in the kid from Cali only because he would be a really good fit for our system.

Let’s talk about the biggest missing ingredient. A SF who can shoot from the outside and drive.

Even though Marek and Quincy were big parts of the team this season, they didn’t play together much, and when they did, Marek was almost always at center. Can they co-exist playing together with a center? I question that, given you will have three guys who all will be trying to play in the paint. For spacing and ball movement, it would be better to have a true wing on the team that is a threat to score from the outside and is capable of slashing to the basket and scoring (and rebounding some too!). I think Newton will be that guy in a year or two but probably not as a frosh. Bras seems like a perimeter player on offense. That could be useful but unless he can show the ability to slash inside, he isn’t the answer we need here. We really need that slashing ability to take advantage of the space inside we know will be available to drive with our guards, and to take advantage of the passing ability of Marek, Joe and Buddy. It is a shame Towns went to OSU. He could have been really good replacing Elijah as our SF.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Elijah will return. If not, I think we need an experienced SF who can slash, and hopefully play passable defense, rebound some and also maybe pass and shoot well. That is asking a lot but I think a smart and talented SF might be out there that pines for the freedom to create and free lance that Elijah enjoyed. Hope we can find that player and convince him to enroll here.
I think the staff is looking for rim protection to back up Sid, since Edwards has a way to go physically. That's what made Tape' (or someone like him) attractive. Hopefully we'll strike gold with another candidate - the kid out of Cali, for example.

As to the EH role - SG/SF slasher and scorer - it's hard not to look at Kadary's game (and his size at 6'6") and not think of him in that role. I do like Bras (and Woody) but neither is a slasher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom