Hypothetical Recruiting Board | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical Recruiting Board

Oh boy. If a kid isn't interested in SU , why should the staff reach out. Some on here think you can wave a magic wand and there is mutual interest. Sometimes it's as easy as maybe the player doesn't like SU. Every kid growing up has teams they dislike or could care less about.

So whats the consenus?
are the 2 remaining scholarships available going to be used this cycle for the 2020 season or not likely?

Just for conversation, do you think our staff is changing their recruting philosophy at all based off what we have seen so far this cycle and specifically the past few weeks? At one point this year they themselves mentioned wanting to be bigger and more physical and how they havent recruited the best in that aspect but we have yet to see them reach out to those "types" of players and continue to pursue the tall/long/lean types that for obvious reasons fit our style of play. (I'm not pretending to know all of the guys they are pursuing and reaching out to so maybe they are behind the scenes) just wanted to see what y'all thought and if you think our approach changes at all or if it's the tall/long/skinny approach to fit the system until the system in place changes? Seems like it's the same approach in my opinion. I guess they could be encouraged by bouramas end of the season play and JBAs development and size gains as well as the development of Jesse so maybe they arent too concerned about our roster situation going forward. However, it does seem like we have tried to pursue another 5 more then anything to end this recruiting cycle but its mostly been the same philosophy. Thoughts? (Not trying to start a crap storm just curious what y'all thought and figured it would be a good conversation)

Just for conversation, do you think our staff is changing their recruting philosophy at all based off what we have seen so far this cycle and specifically the past few weeks? At one point this year they themselves mentioned wanting to be bigger and more physical and how they havent recruited the best in that aspect but we have yet to see them reach out to those "types" of players and continue to pursue the tall/long/lean types that for obvious reasons fit our style of play. (I'm not pretending to know all of the guys they are pursuing and reaching out to so maybe they are behind the scenes) just wanted to see what y'all thought and if you think our approach changes at all or if it's the tall/long/skinny approach to fit the system until the system in place changes? Seems like it's the same approach in my opinion. I guess they could be encouraged by bouramas end of the season play and JBAs development and size gains as well as the development of Jesse so maybe they arent too concerned about our roster situation going forward. However, it does seem like we have tried to pursue another 5 more then anything to end this recruiting cycle but its mostly been the same philosophy. Thoughts? (Not trying to start a crap storm just curious what y'all thought and figured it would be a good conversation)

We reached out to Haarms. He wasn't long and lean. Same for Tape. It just didn't work out. They want a ready now guy who can play in the Power 5. A lot of the guys you are posting about that are 6'10 and 250 aren't getting elite offers. It tells me that most coaches don't think they can play at this level and we aren't going to offer someone who is 6'7" to play center because we play zone and we need someone who can protect the rim.

We reached out to Haarms. He wasn't long and lean. Same for Tape. It just didn't work out. They want a ready now guy who can play in the Power 5. A lot of the guys you are posting about that are 6'10 and 250 aren't getting elite offers. It tells me that most coaches don't think they can play at this level and we aren't going to offer someone who is 6'7" to play center because we play zone and we need someone who can protect the rim.
True I forgot Tape for some reason. He would of been great as well as Haarms.

With that said, didnt we offer a beast who was 6'8 to protect the rim at one time and he did pretty damn good? As well as others who were 6'9 give or take? Why do we HAVE to have a 7 footer? We have had undersized guys who really aren't undersized in college basketball it's just considered undersized for our staff and system.

With that said, didnt we offer a beast who was 6'8 to protect the rim at one time and he did pretty damn good? As well as others who were 6'9 give or take? Why do we HAVE to have a 7 footer? We have had undersized guys who really aren't undersized in college basketball it's just considered undersized for our staff and system.

It doesn't, but I haven't seen one of those out there yet this cycle. Most of the bigs out there seem to be going to mid majors. I don't see anyone going to the P5 or Big East.

It doesn't, but I haven't seen one of those out there yet this cycle. Most of the bigs out there seem to be going to mid majors. I don't see anyone going to the P5 or Big East.
I gotchya. True. Was just saying, JM was 6'8/JW was 6'8/RJ was 6'9

There was big guys like that during the 2019 cycle and now in the 2020 cycle and we dont seem to go after that "physical body type" unless they are 6'10 and above then we seem to not show much interest with the big guys. Just my opinion.

Sadly, same approach mostly.
Im surprised they didn't pursue the 2 guys from Putnam, Vlad and Josh Gray yet offered Ballard who was totally off the radar until early April and Josh Morgan who wasn't likely to leave the West Coast, didn't make sense to me but Im just an observer/poster. I don't know what the thinking or strategy is, I would love to be in those meetings as to who they decide to pursue.

But Tape and Haarms would of been those guys so I guess I cant really say we dont try because we have. Just seems more often then not we go for the specific type which tends to be the tall/long/skinny.

Sadly, same approach mostly.
Im surprised they didn't pursue the 2 guys from Putnam, Vlad and Josh Gray yet offered Ballard who was totally off the radar until early April and Josh Morgan who wasn't likely to leave the West Coast, didn't make sense to me but Im just an observer/poster. I don't know what the thinking or strategy is, I would love to be in those meetings as to who they decide to pursue.
Yea gray and sanogo would of been good ones. We are on frank so that's good. I guess we do try...just doesnt seem to work out for us lately I guess. Also theres alot of strange stuff with the Vlad recruitment...I dont think that has anything to do with out staff. They probably would be interested in him but Putnam has shut his recruitment down.

Last edited:
Before someone points this out, I realize not every kid in the country has interest in playing at Syracuse. Just seems like we certainly have a "type" and when the coaches made those remarks this season about being bigger/physical I was hoping to see us more active with that approach is all I'm saying. (Tape and Haarms would of been it) but not we are seeing more offers/interest for 2021 class that are the same prototypical cuse guys. Which is totally fine because then ones we are pursuing are VERY skilled. One of them is almost Hak like. But we need some enforcers as well to help these skinnier dudes out some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom