I’m convinced | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’m convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get the logic of parsing wins and putting artificial qualifiers on a game...it's actually kinda silly, IMO.
I also don't see anywhere that says a road win at some crappy school, filled with mostly your own fans, where the home team is pathetically inept, should count as less than a regular W.
We won, for Pete's sake! Can we just be happy about that fact w/out all the "yeah, buts'..."?
As cynical, jaded, and pessimistic as some of our fanbase have become, I'm sure we'll have plenty of chances to biotche and moan about upcoming losses. But last night wasn't one of them. Sheesh.

It’s really not that difficult, the logic you apparently “don’t get.” It’s simply challenging and debating with those who are coming across as if these games in this 4 game win streak was some murderous row feat of sorts accomplishment. And, because of it, we now are rolling on all cylinders, on fire, etc. mantra. It’s called perspective.

That we have the ingredients to make a push. Three things need to happen in my opinion for this team to maximize their potential.

1) Symir and Frank need to eat into Joe and Jimmy’s minutes.

2) Cole needs to continue playing with confidence.

3) Buddy has to stop being a black hole. He shoots way too much with all the shooters we have.
Agreed on point 3 - the Boeheim brothers shoot first and ask questions later. Not very good teammates. They would not be allowed to do that at a different school.

It’s really not that difficult, the logic you apparently “don’t get.” It’s simply challenging and debating with those who are coming across as if these games in this 4 game win streak was some murderous row feat of sorts accomplishment. And, because of it, we now are rolling on all cylinders, on fire, etc. mantra. It’s called perspective.
Earlier this year w/out Buddy, Jesse, and JG3 not contributing until late, we probably lose this game. I have yet to read where folks are proclaiming this some major achievement, other than just a sign that we're better now than we were then. If I missed the ridiculously optimistic takes, then by all means, please enlighten me.
Otherwise I'll just enjoy the fact that we're on a 4 game winning streak with a decent chance to at the very least, continue the above-500 winning record when all is said and done. 3 weeks ago we couldn't say that with much confidence, but today we can.
One's man's "perspective", is another man's "Debbie Downer looking to diminish and/or minimize progress". JMHO

Last edited:
Wake is 19-5.

And we lost to VCU, Georgetown, Pitt and Colgate. We would have lost this game 3 weeks ago.
If we’d just freakin inbounded the ball against Wake on the road, made that shot on the last possession against FSU at home, and not had a complete no-show against Pitt, this team could easily be 10-3 in the conference and in first place. We’re not that far off the pace. We can compete with the top teams in the conference. We need to have a great game against Va Tech on Saturday.

herein lies the problem. The ACC is hot garbage. SU could win all their remaining regular season games except the DUKE game..win two in the ACC tourney..and still not get in the dance. Most of the games we play can only hurt us. This is the way.
Um, no. We have four Q1 and one Q2 games over the next few weeks. All are opportunities to build our resume. It’s still a long shot of course. But wins get you in the conversation.

What did Bill Parcells say? You are what your record says you are - we beat the tallest midgets and now our fans are delusional - we are not making the tournament - literally zero chance
Literally? Wrong.

Is it probable? No.

Could we win the ACCT and make the tournament? Yes.

You need to brush up on your definitions of things.

What did Bill Parcells say? You are what your record says you are - we beat the tallest midgets and now our fans are delusional - we are not making the tournament - literally zero chance
Not "literally zero chance."

His shot selection is right in line with the 2 guards that came before him. That’s never been a position where we’ve had a lot of efficiency. Battle and Cooney had the same green light.
tyus and cooney didnt have the number 1 center in the country or close to in fg % = edwards is shooting 69%! from the field...and swider and girard are shooting at +40% from 3! jimmy is at 38%...and buddy is near 35% from 3

the starting five averages 12, 13, 14, 14, and 19 per game that is unheard of in SU hoops history pretty sure

ANY bad shot that ANY player takes on this team is a DUMB SHOT...not primarily bc they cant make it but bc of the opportunity cost of forgoing a higher percentage shot of a teammate

all of the starters shoot at a high %

if this team can get an open shot every time down the floor - through teamwork and passing - it will be able to beat any team in the country...wont go undefeated but will shoot such a high % that other teams simply wont be able to match the scoring

with the range of weapons they have they really oughtta be able to get a good shot every time, basically

but they take a ton of bad shots...especailly once they build a lead with careful play..and start going iso/hero ball

using historical arguments that thats what the SU Sg does...seems to disregard the current reality of whats going on with the team...and the unusually balanced makeup of the roster

shot selection/creation is the number one way this team can level up from where they are right now, imo

Um, no. We have four Q1 and one Q2 games over the next few weeks. All are opportunities to build our resume. It’s still a long shot of course. But wins get you in the conversation.
We’re 1-7 in quad one games, how many do you think we get out of the next 4?

Interesting. Three separate reply posts about Tony's literal remark.

Perhaps, you all shouldn't take it so literal? Unless, of course, you all prefer to take this place so formal. Perhaps, he was being informal?

lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/

Learn to pronounce

adverb:

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

Similar: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter, exactly, precisely, faithfully, closely, strictly, strictly speaking, accurately, rigorously

Opposite: loosely, imprecisely, metaphorically
  • informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I was literally blown away by the response I got."
Definitions from Oxford Languages

Interesting. Three separate reply posts about Tony's literal remark.

Perhaps, you all shouldn't take it so literal? Unless, of course, you all prefer to take this place so formal. Perhaps, he was being informal?

lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/

Learn to pronounce

adverb:

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

Similar: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter, exactly, precisely, faithfully, closely, strictly, strictly speaking, accurately, rigorously

Opposite: loosely, imprecisely, metaphorically
  • informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I was literally blown away by the response I got."
Definitions from Oxford Languages
Perhaps, then, he literally shouldn't use the word "literally".

Perhaps, then, he literally shouldn't use the word "literally".

Or, perhaps, he was being informal as the definitions from the Oxford Languages suggests..."to express a strong feeling while not literally true." "I was literally blown away by the response I got."

It's interesting that they used that particular sentence. As, it appears by yours and the others whom replied to his post, it fits here perfectly.

Or, perhaps, he was being informal as the definitions from the Oxford Languages suggests..."to express a strong feeling while not literally true." "I was literally blown away by the response I got."

It's interesting that they used that particular sentence. As, it appears by yours and the others whom replied to his post, it fits here perfectly.
I guess you missed it when the OP said "literally zero chance".

Not too many ways to take that.

What does that phrase mean to you?

I guess you missed it when the OP said "literally zero chance".

Not too many ways to take that.

What does that phrase mean to you?

I didn't miss anything. Apparently, you missed (twice now) how that word does not have to be taken verbatim. Just as the Oxford Languages mentions and I provided. Again, for the third time, perhaps, he was using it informally, and as a matter of exaggeration, etc. You know, like the Oxford example given suggests.

Nicknack, also mentioned something similar in his post.

I've been around folks who use it as a matter of expression, exaggeration, etc. I don't sit around dissing someone about it, which was the apparent intent of all three of you who snidely replied to his post. Seemingly, the motivation came from not caring for the crux of his post, which was the Bill Parcels reference, beating up on 3 horrible teams during this run that aren't even on the NIT radar, along with his delusional remark, etc. So, instead of debating that matter, all of you chose the low hanging fruit route. Which, frankly, isn't surprising as all three of you paint with a rather Pollyanna brush here.

In answering your question, I'll respond by saying, I am likely able to decipher when someone is using it verbatim vs. one for exaggeration and/or accentuation.

Last edited:
I didn't miss anything. Apparently, you missed (twice now) how that word does not have to be taken verbatim. Just as the Oxford Languages mentions and I provided. Again, for the third time, perhaps, he was using it informally, and as a matter of exaggeration, etc. You know, like the Oxford example given suggests.

I've been around folks who use it as a matter of expression, exaggeration, etc. I don't sit around dissing someone about it, which was the apparent intent of all three of you who snidely replied to his post. Seemingly, the motivation came from not caring for the crux of his post, which was the Bill Parcels reference, beating up on 3 horrible teams during this run that aren't even on the NIT radar, along with his delusional remark, etc. So, instead of debating that matter, all of you chose the low hanging fruit route. Which, frankly, isn't surprising as all three of you paint with a Pollyanna brush here.

In answering your question, I'll respond by saying, I am likely able to decipher when someone is using it verbatim vs. one for exaggeration and/or accentuation.
So you really like to manufacture controversy, huh? Sometimes an inane comment is just an inane comment.

I've been around folks who use it as a matter of expression, exaggeration, etc. I don't sit around dissing someone about it, which was the apparent intent of all three of you who snidely replied to his post. Seemingly, the motivation came from not caring for the crux of his post, which was the Bill Parcels reference, beating up on 3 horrible teams during this run that aren't even on the NIT radar, along with his delusional remark, etc. So, instead of debating that matter, all of you chose the low hanging fruit route. Which, frankly, isn't surprising as all three of you paint with a rather Pollyanna brush here.

Weird hill to die on, but go for it.

"I am likely able to decipher when someone is using it verbatim vs. one for exaggeration and/or accentuation."

Please teach all us lowly humans how to do this. All I can do is read what was posted. "Literally zero chance."

Done here.

So you really like to manufacture controversy, huh? Sometimes an inane comment is just an inane comment.

Weird hill to die on, but go for it.

"I am likely able to decipher when someone is using it verbatim vs. one for exaggeration and/or accentuation."

Please teach all us lowly humans how to do this. All I can do is read what was posted. "Literally zero chance."

Done here.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Well be lucky to win one. Jessie is a huge loss. We can’t replace what he does and how he effects the offense and defense.
I posted that before the Jesse news, over/under may be set at 1 and be a tough bet to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom