I actually agree with Igor on something LOL | Syracusefan.com

I actually agree with Igor on something LOL

LAOrange

Starter
In his own inimical style, Igor states below that JB needs to sit Baye in favor of Coleman and Rak with the eventual insertion of Roberson. Effectively moving Baye to 9th on the depth chart.
We are going to need Coleman's offense in conference and Rak needs to work on his defense.
I hear that Baye's a leader and a stellar young man. He'll understand.

In his own inimical style, Igor states below that JB needs to sit Baye in favor of Coleman and Rak with the eventual insertion of Roberson. Effectively moving Baye to 9th on the depth chart.
We are going to need Coleman's offense in conference and Rak needs to work on his defense.

What he and maybe you are missing is who do you trust in the last 4 minutes of a game to be in the correct position on the back end of the zone and who is the best foul shooter of the three?

BMK has played in A LOT of big time games in his career and that is why he is in the game at the end. I have no problem with what JB does with the bigs at the end of the game.

Baye looked not so good in the first half to me yesterday but very very good coming off the bench late in the second half. I think he had 3-4 good rebounds in there, set very good screens and played the high post forward (who had been giving us issues) all the way out till he could be passed off to a guard at least twice and possibly 3 times. Baye is the best of our 3centers at seeing the play develop infront of him at the high post. He often arrives as the ball does and forces a quick pass out. He is also the best at recovering from covering the high post. He has had issues with the hands and isn't going to overpower anyone but I cannot remember one mistake he made yesterday down the stretch, thought he did a great job on D as did MikeG.

What he and maybe you are missing is who do you trust in the last 4 minutes of a game to be in the correct position on the back end of the zone and who is the best foul shooter of the three?

BMK has played in A LOT of big time games in his career and that is why he is in the game at the end. I have no problem with what JB does with the bigs at the end of the game.

While I agree with the basic thread of your post, we are a fairly impotent offensive team when both BMK and Silent G are on the court at the same time. I think we can all agree that BMK has maxed out on what he brings on that end of the floor, but maybe Mike can at least look to be a scoring threat when he's open. That will help a ton, because while BMK is good at D, Silent G has the potential to be one of the best ever at the top of the zone.

exactly on target. Jb trusts baye because jb knows where everyone is suppose to be on d and we don't. And jb sees that Baye is in the right place. The free throw shooting takes coleman completely out of play.

I'm not saying that we lose a game. It's just that quick hooks are not helping our two big guys develop. I saw signs of Baye -style defense at the 5 from Rak yesterday.

I have no problem with Baye in to close the game (especially yesterday, when Christmas was picking up fouls quickly), but Baye's a much worse free-throw shooter than Christmas. Much worse. (Incredible Big East semifinal streak last year notwithstanding.)

I have no problem with Baye in to close the game (especially yesterday, when Christmas was picking up fouls quickly), but Baye's a much worse free-throw shooter than Christmas. Much worse. (Incredible Big East semifinal streak last year notwithstanding.)

That's why he is never allowed to actually touch the ball unless it's a rebound.

exactly on target. Jb trusts baye because jb knows where everyone is suppose to be on d and we don't. And jb sees that Baye is in the right place. The free throw shooting takes coleman completely out of play.
Clearly he trusts BMK and doesn't trust the other two, and it is hard to really assess the positioning nuances while watching on TV or without knowing exactly how JB wants it played. But. Xmas is statistically better than BMK at literally everything, and the eye test backs up the stats in this case. I think we are harder to guard with him on the court because at least the D needs to at least account for him a bit, and I don't think we lose anything on D. It is my opinion that he has improved enough to be out there in the last few minutes of close games over BMK. If someone could pass my thoughts on to JB I'd surely appreciate it.

Baye looked not so good in the first half to me yesterday but very very good coming off the bench late in the second half. I think he had 3-4 good rebounds in there, set very good screens and played the high post forward (who had been giving us issues) all the way out till he could be passed off to a guard at least twice and possibly 3 times. Baye is the best of our 3centers at seeing the play develop infront of him at the high post. He often arrives as the ball does and forces a quick pass out. He is also the best at recovering from covering the high post. He has had issues with the hands and isn't going to overpower anyone but I cannot remember one mistake he made yesterday down the stretch, thought he did a great job on D as did MikeG.

THIS.

THIS.

That's why he is never allowed to actually touch the ball unless it's a rebound.

That's actually very funny. There was a sequence, I believe in the 2nd half yesterday, where he cut to the basket on the pick and roll with Ennis. He was open and Ennis thought better of throwing him the ball because who knows if he'd catch it. It's unfortunate that he plays great positional defense but often we play 4 on 5 on offense when he's in the game. It's a quandary.

I'm not saying that we lose a game. It's just that quick hooks are not helping our two big guys develop. I saw signs of Baye -style defense at the 5 from Rak yesterday.

Rak played the whole second half until he picked p his 4th foul. He played for a good stretch to start the 1st half ad then came in again when CJ got his 2nd. DC@ has to score and rebound to offset his defense or he will sit its just the way it is until he gets better on that end. JB is giving DC2 his chance to start every half what more can he ask for? Rak has to lead the 3 in minutes so I'm not sure I agree at all with this.

So, because he is a stellar young man you have no problem shafting him again? I'm glad JB is not you. BMK has given four hard years as the program guy. On more than one occasion he has been on the short end of the token starter concept. Now you want BMK to move aside so we can develop Roberson for next year? Please, next time you agree with igor on something -do a double check.

Way too early to pull the plug on this season to increase our odds for next year.

Arguing for the sake of arguing I will.

BMK is not the better foul shooter, in my opinion. Also, Rak has played in some pretty monster games himself, dating back to his freshman year.

The dude must bleed orange, he's stuck with us when he could have easily transferred out or gone into the NBA draft just based on raw talent and measurements.

For example look at Roscoe Smith. Anyone remember that dude from Uconn? Maybe some of us, because of the not top 10. He transferred to UNLV and is now leading the NCAAs in boards and is averaging a double double.

I see what Uconn fans thought of Roscoe his freshman year similar to what we've thought of Rak.

Rak is making strides on the offensive side of the game, he's already a formidable presence on defense due to his length and athleticism.

I think it could be a good idea to move BMK to 9th in the rotation, give Roberson some token minutes, and give Rak 25 minutes or so a game.

Rak may not be who you want at the end of the game now, but come March he could develop into the center Syracuse needs.

So, because he is a stellar young man you have no problem shafting him again? I'm glad JB is not you. BMK has given four hard years as the program guy. On more than one occasion he has been on the short end of the token starter concept. Now you want BMK to move aside so we can develop Roberson for next year? Please, next time you agree with igor on something -do a double check.

Way too early to pull the plug on this season to increase our odds for next year.

Christmas is getting around 20min a game
DC2 and Baye are both getting around 14-15min per game.

Just to throw it out there. Rak is getting the most minutes some at the 4 and DC2 is getting the same minutes as Baye he's just getting them early in half's instead of closing half's. JB obviously like Baye as the closer which I thought he did a nice job of yesterday.

We are going to need Coleman's offense
You lost me here. DC2 constantly brings the ball too low and gets stripped. When that doesn't happen he tends to chuck the ball towards the rim a la Terrence Roberts. Other than wide open dunks and putbacks, he has shown little evidence of an offensive game. Combine that with his free throw shooting and his defensive lapses and it's easy to see why he's on the bench. When BMK came in yesterday, SJU's foul line jumpers mysteriously ceased.

DC2 is out of lucky if Rak keeps developing his offense.

^^^^^^^^^
This big time!

Igor always makes some outlandish claims as to why the guy not playing should play, guys like Ethan Cole and Eric Williams.
That way, he can always claim to be correct, because he thinks he can't be proven wrong. The fact that JB wants to win every game, and certain guys don't play, tells you all you need to know about their current ability to help the team win

You lost me here. DC2 constantly brings the ball too low and gets stripped. When that doesn't happen he tends to chuck the ball towards the rim a la Terrence Roberts. Other than wide open dunks and putbacks, he has shown little evidence of an offensive game. Combine that with his free throw shooting and his defensive lapses and it's easy to see why he's on the bench. When BMK came in yesterday, SJU's foul line jumpers mysteriously ceased.

Yes.