I Actually Was Calling for Frank... | Syracusefan.com

I Actually Was Calling for Frank...

I don't understand why Frank wasn't brought in to try and change the flow when our O was stagnating & John wasn't doing anything positive & they were killing us during that early 2nd half run.

And when we do bring him in it's always for Battle.

Lots of things to question about lineup changes. End of 1st half Gillon, who was an absolute mess comes in for O, then after he turns it over, TT comes in for D? Makes no sense.

Heck, give some run to Battle at PG. It's less crazy than Gbinije.

And when we do bring him in it's always for Battle.
YEah I never get this - JB must think that Battle isn't quite 100% conditioned yet.

It's bad enough that FH/JG aren't even average PG's right now - but when they're both in the game? Sheesh.

I'm almost leaning with Frank by default because he doesn't kill us nearly as much on D. Gillon would be a perfect spark plug off the bench - but playing him for 38 minutes in the ACC is becoming a major liability. He has had big moments though - 43 vs. NC State; the shot vs. Louisville; the laast 3minute stretch vs. FSU. But If he isn't on fire on offense, his liability on defense isn't worth having out there IMO.

When Gillon doesn't hit 3's, he does nothing positive for our offense. He doesn't create for others, doesn't get us in any kind of rhythm, and doesn't drive and finish at the rim.

Sometimes, it wouldn't be the worst idea ever to play Frank next to Battle and just see what happens. Will Frank inexplicably dribble the ball off his foot, then his forehead, then out of bounds? Yeah, probably twice. Will he shoot a half floater half layup that bricks off the backboard? Yeah, probably 3 times. The crazy thing is though, that's not any worse than Gillon dribbling the ball around for 15 seconds with everbody just standing and staring at him, then trying to maneuver around screens crappily just to dish the ball to somebody who's not in a position to make a play.

Gillon should have never gone back in after half arsing the miscue between him and White on the sideline. Who is he not to hustle and get after that ball? Sit down. The 4o point game ruined him.

Yeah, he p*ssed me off twice in a matter of seconds on that play. First, how hard is it to grab a basketball from a guy handing it to you? Use your freaking hands and hold the big orange thing in front of your face, dude! And of course, second was him just watching it roll between his legs and backing away from it like it was a grenade.

Am I alone in thinking that Frank seems to have turned the corner?

He's playing much better on defense while giving us actual zone length and on offense, most his turnovers are plays where he's making the right pass but is a tough play for a collegiate player on the receiving end of the pass to handle. His vision is clearly legit but he has to reign it in and know he's not playing with NBA All Stars.

His jumpshot looks solid and he's taking it to the basket with results.

Why has he not taken over the lead guard spot?

He's playing much better on defense while giving us actual zone length and on offense, most his turnovers are plays where he's making the right pass but is a tough play for a collegiate player on the receiving end of the pass to handle. His vision is clearly legit but he has to reign it in and know he's not playing with NBA All Stars.

The one he tried to make to TT could have been huge. He realized mid-air that TT wasn't going to get high enough to go dunk so he threw it dumbly away.

I think the case with Howard is we forgot what actually developing a player looks like and think if they're not an NBA prospect by their sophomore year that they're useless and doomed to transfer. It's ridiculous. He's improved noticeably from his freshman year and will hopefully tie up the unnecessary turnovers and continue to improve his jumper going into next year.

Because we have to make next season as tough for ourselves as possible.

I think the case with Howard is we forgot what actually developing a player looks like and think if they're not an NBA prospect by their sophomore year that they're useless and doomed to transfer. It's ridiculous. He's improved noticeably from his freshman year and will hopefully tie up the unnecessary turnovers and continue to improve his jumper going into next year.

I assume it has to be the off court incident(s) from a month or two ago that are keeping him held back. I'm short on the details of all that and missed some since removed posts that I think hinted at what the deal was, so I'm a little in the dark, but it really must've been bad if he's still not getting a shot to play much. It's a real shame because we'd need him next year. Heck, we need him this year.

I assume it has to be the off court incident(s) from a month or two ago that are keeping him held back. I'm short on the details of all that and missed some since removed posts that I think hinted at what the deal was, so I'm a little in the dark, but it really must've been bad if he's still not getting a shot to play much. It's a real shame because we'd need him next year. Heck, we need him this year.
I think you have a good point. If incident was that bad he should have been booted off the team. If he stays play him when you need him & put the past behind.

Gillon should have never gone back in after half arsing the miscue between him and White on the sideline. Who is he not to hustle and get after that ball? Sit down. The 4o point game ruined him.

That was a throw the remote moment for me also. I can handle not playing well, but lack of hustle is just outrageous.

That was a throw the remote moment for me also. I can handle not playing well, but lack of hustle is just outrageous.
I think it was more confusion on John's part then lack of hustle. He has hustled all year long if nothing else. I think he was trying to process if he was better off to try and get to the ball or get back on D & the moment's hesitation looked like he wasn't hustling, but that just isn't John's MO. Once he had even a slight hesitation then he had no choice but to try and get back, which he did albeit late and unsuccessfully. We all have slight brain freezes at times.

I think it was more confusion on John's part then lack of hustle. He has hustled all year long if nothing else. I think he was trying to process if he was better off to try and get to the ball or get back on D & the moment's hesitation looked like he wasn't hustling, but that just isn't John's MO. Once he had even a slight hesitation then he had no choice but to try and get back, which he did albeit late and unsuccessfully. We all have slight brain freezes at times.

He got back without trying for the ball, and then he didn't even try to stop the break. Ole was the defense he played.

YEah I never get this - JB must think that Battle isn't quite 100% conditioned yet.

It's bad enough that FH/JG aren't even average PG's right now - but when they're both in the game? Sheesh.

I'm almost leaning with Frank by default because he doesn't kill us nearly as much on D. Gillon would be a perfect spark plug off the bench - but playing him for 38 minutes in the ACC is becoming a major liability. He has had big moments though - 43 vs. NC State; the shot vs. Louisville; the laast 3minute stretch vs. FSU. But If he isn't on fire on offense, his liability on defense isn't worth having out there IMO.

I concur - Frank has been okay on defense lately, and certainly the most disruptive on defense the past two games with tipped balls and getting into passing lanes. If he can play like that on D, it's another advantage over Gillon.

I can't even believe Frank is back in the discussion for PT...but here we are.

Frank is officially our best point guard now. Gillon is killing us out there.
I think our best point guard is officially the guys who hasn't been playing. It's defiantly not Frank. He can't shoot and turns the ball over just over mid court to key a break away dunk. He can't run the offense or penetrate and finish. I will roll with Gillon and don't think it's close to be honest.

I think our best point guard is officially the guys who hasn't been playing. It's defiantly not Frank. He can't shoot and turns the ball over just over mid court to key a break away dunk. He can't run the offense or penetrate and finish. I will roll with Gillon and don't think it's close to be honest.

I am not understanding your first 2 sentences.

You didn't watch the game last night then. He penetrated and finished against their biggest guy who blocked shots from pretty much every other SU player during the same game. He also hit a three pointer well before Gillon (AIRBALL!!!) did last night. I'm pretty sure they both had 2 assists, despite the fact one guy played 12 minutes and the other one played 35.

I am not understanding your first 2 sentences.
What I was saying is that when one guy isn't playing a lot of minutes they become the guy because you are watching the guy who is playing struggle and play like crap. Frank made some good plays when he was in there but he would not have sustained it for a longer period of time in my opinion. He would have gotten his pocket picked starting our offense and thrown bounce passes at big men's feet. That is who he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom