I am giving this team one more shot | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I am giving this team one more shot

He had the highest FG shooting percentage of anyone on the team (except for Baye, who played very limited minutes) for 4 straight years, They never fed him the ball until his senior year. I'm guessing that was part of the coach's game plan.
He's a center that averaged 3 or 4 shots per season the 1st 3 years. He should have the highest FG% on the team. That's how it works when half your shots are dunks and the rest are put backs. I'd look for other arguments then that one.

I am watching the NC state game... If I don't see a total team effort starting at the top down then I'm out for the rest of this year... It's been a frustrating ride and I'm at my rope's end...
You have about 5 hours to get your site dialed in. Remember squeeze the trigger as you exhale.

I am trying to remember a prior post that I made: its the Covid-19 year. I won't hold anything that happens in basketball against anyone. In addition to the stress of basketball and school, and being young adults, now there are the Covid-19 restrictions: who knows what is going on at home and with families, and how did the virus impact certain players, etc. (I think Joe has been severely hampered, but just my observation.)

I get frustrated watching. I take a deep breath, and turn it off. In the grand scheme of everything, a "bad" season is nothing.
Do we need a new head guy? Yes!
When? Soon as possible!
Should it be someone in the bench currently? No!
Should it be Hopkins? IMO, no, it should be totally new blood, plus, if JB is nudged out, I don't think Hopkins would return. That said, I could live with Hop.

I just don't see a fire in the belly of the other guys that leads me to think that at the kitchen table, they can get a top 20 recruit and family totally worked up enough to buy into SU and his vision that they will want to come play here. Hop was that guy for us (I know, I know, inconsistent, but there are others out there who can bring that to the table.)

Its interesting how this season has been the breaking point for some of us. Not just on moving on from JB but from JB's footprint as well. IF any of the assistants are sensing that kind of change it may behoove them to get the resumes ready.

Do we need a new head guy? Yes!
When? Soon as possible!
Should it be someone in the bench currently? No!
Should it be Hopkins? IMO, no, it should be totally new blood, plus, if JB is nudged out, I don't think Hopkins would return. That said, I could live with Hop.

I just don't see a fire in the belly of the other guys that leads me to think that at the kitchen table, they can get a top 20 recruit and family totally worked up enough to buy into SU and his vision that they will want to come play here. Hop was that guy for us (I know, I know, inconsistent, but there are others out there who can bring that to the table.)
Those are my exact thoughts as well. The basketball program is the meal ticket for the athletic department, there is absolutely no reason to make an easy or cheaper choice and let someone with no head coaching experience take over the captains seat.

The bottom line is are you having fun being a fan? It’s really not fun anymore.

No. I was able to handle 4 years of mediocrity with the Final Four and Sweet 16. It's been 3 more years. It's not fun. I have a friend I turned into a mini Cuse fan and SHE watches games that I forget are on and then have to look up what happened so she doesn't yell at me. She's a Nova fan so college basketball is fun for her and she still likes to watch. I fortunately just discovered Yellowstone and that's eating up my time now.

Its interesting how this season has been the breaking point for some of us. Not just on moving on from JB but from JB's footprint as well. IF any of the assistants are sensing that kind of change it may behoove them to get the resumes ready.
Started to lose my mind at some point in '18-'19 when Oshae was chucking 3s all season despite shooting 27% from downtown. We were coming off a nice lil tourney run and had everyone back so was pumped for a possible Final Four run. Instead the season was a miserable grind that ended on a 2-5 streak and one and done in the tourney. How the heck is that even possible with the entire starting 5 back from a tourney tested team and then Elijah Hughes added to it. Sadly it's only gotten worse.

Started to lose my mind at some point in '18-'19 when Oshae was chucking 3s all season despite shooting 27% from downtown. We were coming off a nice lil tourney run and had everyone back so was pumped for a possible Final Four run. Instead the season was a miserable grind that ended on a 2-5 streak and one and done in the tourney. How the heck is that even possible with the entire starting 5 back from a tourney tested team and then Elijah Hughes added to it. Sadly it's only gotten worse.

That team was such a gut punch. At least they give us the courtesy of letting us know early that they're not going to be particularly good. In 2002 we got up to #7 before the wheels came off.

It got to me once I noticed the difference in how JAB reacted to players not named Buddy. IMO, he has one agenda only and that is to get Buddy to play professionally. He knows he is near the end and watching his son play professionally would make him more happy then watching SU after he is done. Does JAB want to win, sure, but his decision making is clearly favoring Buddy's future.

That's about the time that the long-rolling cascade of losing my fandom finally petered out.

The NCAA run in 2018 was...interesting. The MSU game was a legitimate good win, even though it was a horrible game. The Duke game was even decently played. So when Tyus Battle decided to come back to school, I had moderately high hopes and remember in mid-summer being truly excited about basketball season and impatient for it to start.

That's the last time I remember experiencing any emotional response to college basketball. Brissett, a player who I really liked, embarked on that dreadful (yet successful?!) season-long NBA audition, the team was indistinguishable from every 2014-2021 team, and it just wasn't interesting anymore. Not fun when they won, not disappointing when they lost. Just background noise.

It got to me once I noticed the difference in how JAB reacted to players not named Buddy. IMO, he has one agenda only and that is to get Buddy to play professionally. He knows he is near the end and watching his son play professionally would make him more happy then watching SU after he is done. Does JAB want to win, sure, but his decision making is clearly favoring Buddy's future.
That seems like an absolutely nutty idea at first glimpse but I don't know what kind of excuses to make for him when he does truly odd things like move Buddy to the 3 in a blowout to ensure that he plays 40 mins instead of letting one of the young guys come in that actually plays that position. In any other case he would say that the 2 doesn't practice enough on the backline of the zone so he can't give him minutes there but none of the rules that have applied and been said a million times over the last 25 years I've been watching seem to apply now.

That's about the time that the long-rolling cascade of losing my fandom finally petered out.

The NCAA run in 2018 was...interesting. The MSU game was a legitimate good win, even though it was a horrible game. The Duke game was even decently played. So when Tyus Battle decided to come back to school, I had moderately high hopes and remember in mid-summer being truly excited about basketball season and impatient for it to start.

That's the last time I remember experiencing any emotional response to college basketball. Brissett, a player who I really liked, embarked on that dreadful (yet successful?!) season-long NBA audition, the team was indistinguishable from every 2014-2021 team, and it just wasn't interesting anymore. Not fun when they won, not disappointing when they lost. Just background noise.
That Michigan State game is the last vivid basketball memory that I have. Can still remember exactly where I was. My wife and I were visiting my parents in Ft. Lauderdale and went out to watch it at a little happy hour spot. Expected to be disappointed but ended up making everyone stay there for 2+ hours while my parents were getting pissed because they could care less.

This is 100% where I am. I never thought I'd voice the words, "I cannot wait for JB to retire," but this is the year I finally have said it. I have consistently turned off games before they are over, as it pains me to see where we have fallen. I still think the brand is good enough to bounce back...but it's going to be a tough time waiting for that to happen.(On a side note, I am a die hard Bills fan, so I know I can make it! Hahaha!)

Does JAB want to win, sure, but his decision making is clearly favoring Buddy's future.
A head coach needs to step down when it’s clear there is a conflict of interest. Ironically he’s not helping Buddy’s professional chances in Europe by cratering his efficiency and exposing his limitations.

This is 100% where I am. I never thought I'd voice the words, "I cannot wait for JB to retire," but this is the year I finally have said it. I have consistently turned off games before they are over, as it pains me to see where we have fallen. I still think the brand is good enough to bounce back...but it's going to be a tough time waiting for that to happen.(On a side note, I am a die hard Bills fan, so I know I can make it! Hahaha!)

In reality, you get a Nate Oats type and we can bounce back in year 1.

You have about 5 hours to get your site dialed in. Remember squeeze the trigger as you exhale.
Ready to turn the remote... Prove me wrong JB...

If Jim wants to see his kid play professional basketball he should start taking Russian language classes.

Less reactionary yelling from jb in the first half. Step in the right direction. Someone got to him

I am watching the NC state game... If I don't see a total team effort starting at the top down then I'm out for the rest of this year... It's been a frustrating ride and I'm at my rope's end...
I can't bear any SU loss any more. I only tape them and watch the games we won. Even not watching the losing games, I am still sad in the next three days after each loss.

that’s why I gave them one more. Like the more even keeled jb

that’s why I gave them one more. Like the more even keeled jb
alright, you gave them the one more. how much rope does this win earn the team in your eyes?

alright, you gave them the one more. how much rope does this win earn the team in your eyes?
I’ll give them a couple more. If jb gets tunnel vision and starts yelling at everyone but buddy I’ll pull the plug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom