I asked before the season if people would be patient with JB this year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I asked before the season if people would be patient with JB this year...

They don’t have to be better than Battle because the rest of the talent will be better. They are both excellent shooters and fwiw the coaches think Carey may be a one and done. I don’t think Oshae is going anywhere with his 33% shooting.
Tough to tell with freshmen. On one hand rankings are tough to be overly reliant on but it seems to me Careys ranking is in line with MCW and Dion and neither of those had big impact their first year; in fact Mcw barely played. Baz has a ranking where he could be a transformative player like Melo or Bagley but we will see. I agree w you on OB, in fact i dont think TB is ready either. But then again didnt think Lydon, Mal or Ennis were quite ready either and they all left. Great for them !

Tough to tell with freshmen. On one hand rankings are tough to be overly reliant on but it seems to me Careys ranking is in line with MCW and Dion and neither of those had big impact their first year; in fact Mcw barely played. Baz has a ranking where he could be a transformative player like Melo or Bagley but we will see. I agree w you on OB, in fact i dont think TB is ready either. But then again didnt think Lydon, Mal or Ennis were quite ready either and they all left. Great for them !

Also I know the fans hate Frank, but overall he’s been pretty good this year and I expect him to be even better next year. He’s shooting 37% from three. 40 isn’t out of the possibility going forward.

I am not mad about the team this year.
I am frustrated we don’t change.
You can’t be stagnant.
It’s not a recipe for success when you don’t have the pieces.
You should not make chicken salad if you don’t have the ingredients for it.
Make chicken soup.
That is frustrating.
JB gets ultra defensive whenever this is brought up.
Watch other teams.
Players cut and move and try to help get a good shot.
Why can’t we do that?

You can’t be stagnant.
Make chicken soup.
That is frustrating.

That’s fair. I just don’t know what offense we can run with this group.

If you watched the game yesterday teams are leaving Marek, Oshae, and Moyer wide open on the perimeter. In theory that’s an open shot, but they can’t make it 9 out of ten times. They cannot make ten footers so teams have walled off the rim.

Howard is our only consistent jump shooter and teams are starting to be really physical with battle.

I think you have a legit argument some years. Last year we did not utilize Lydons strengths at all. Our pg was a midget and couldn’t pass to him. This year in the at league he’s putting up double doubles every night so someone is doing something better with him. This group can’t score outside of a silo and I’m not sure what offense would give them more open looks when they already are getting open looks they can’t make.

You can’t be stagnant.
Make chicken soup.
That is frustrating.
Watch other teams.
Players cut and move and try to help get a good shot.
Why can’t we do that?

Are we better off isolating our best player for the last shot or running our normal offense and getting the ball to whoever among the "big three" is open and sending the other two to the boards?

That’s fair. I just don’t know what offense we can run with this group.

If you watched the game yesterday teams are leaving Marek, Oshae, and Moyer wide open on the perimeter. In theory that’s an open shot, but they can’t make it 9 out of ten times. They cannot make ten footers so teams have walled off the rim.

Howard is our only consistent jump shooter and teams are starting to be really physical with battle.

I think you have a legit argument some years. Last year we did not utilize Lydons strengths at all. Our pg was a midget and couldn’t pass to him. This year in the at league he’s putting up double doubles every night so someone is doing something better with him. This group can’t score outside of a silo and I’m not sure what offense would give them more open looks when they already are getting open looks they can’t make.
We don’t we run double screens and then have a guy cut.
If teams zone us put a guy at the FT line.
Screen the top of the zone to force it to collapse like teams do to us.
I get frustrated because we do the same things and rely on making tough shots.
Grab a rebound and run in transition don’t let a defense get set.

last night i'd say howard and battle were the only options. (sorry oshae) isolate either on a drive and hope for hoop or harm.

Are we better off isolating our best player for the last shot or running our normal offense and getting the ball to whoever among the "big three" is open and sending the other two to the boards?
How about running a play.
ISO ball is easy to defend.
If only one player is moving the defense doesn’t have to be stressed.

Our offense is easy to defend with effort.

Basketball Set Plays - Zone Plays, Man Plays, Out of Bounds Plays, Special Situations Plays

It’s not hard to find offensive sets.
We don’t run any except 1-4 with a ball screen and big is never a threat to shoot.

Usually I'm too frustrated to watch any more basketball for the day after we lose, particularly the way we lost. But I did watch the Wyoming - Boise State game last night to support my mom's team. Not saying Wyoming is nearly the program we are. But the difference with their movement on offense was drastic, particularly since I still had our game fresh in my mind.

Can you imagine if we had Duke's team, their expectations instead of SU's and what this board would look like? We had fairly low expectations preseason and the team raised them by gutting it out, winning 6 OOC games each by less than 10 points while losing 3 of our 4 games by a total of only 11 points. I said preseason, this team should be enjoyed just watching the ups and downs of each player's development and molding of the team throughout the year. Frustration is taking over because they have exceeded expectations by winning close ones and losing some even closer ones. I hate it when we lose just like everyone else but I have to remind myself that if there's ever a team that I knew needed a patient outlook it's this one.

i'd have season tickets if i knew jb was bringing in a top 5 class every year. he doesn't and hasn't in a long while.

Can you imagine if we had Duke's team, their expectations instead of SU's and what this board would look like? We had fairly low expectations preseason and the team raised them by gutting it out, winning 6 OOC games each by less than 10 points while losing 3 of our 4 games by a total of only 11 points. I said preseason, this team should be enjoyed just watching the ups and downs of each player's development and molding of the team throughout the year. Frustration is taking over because they have exceeded expectations by winning close ones and losing some even closer ones. I hate it when we lose just like everyone else but I have to remind myself that if there's ever a team that I knew needed a patient outlook it's this one.
Coach K has 5 NCs.
You realize NCs build you credibility.
Duke underachieves for sure but they have rings.
Do you think Patriots fans kill Belichick for losing to the Jets in 2010?
No because the team has 5 titles.
Comparing Duke to Syracuse isn’t the same thing.
Since 1998 Duke hasn’t been below a 6 seed in the tournament.

Can you imagine if we had Duke's team, their expectations instead of SU's and what this board would look like? We had fairly low expectations preseason and the team raised them by gutting it out, winning 6 OOC games each by less than 10 points while losing 3 of our 4 games by a total of only 11 points. I said preseason, this team should be enjoyed just watching the ups and downs of each player's development and molding of the team throughout the year. Frustration is taking over because they have exceeded expectations by winning close ones and losing some even closer ones. I hate it when we lose just like everyone else but I have to remind myself that if there's ever a team that I knew needed a patient outlook it's this one. (no excuses just being realistic)
yeah but their coach is at least better than a girls high school coach and he's not mean to reporters in press conferences and also he doesn't stubbornly stick to a defense that just gets shredded all the time

who wouldn't ? 30K plus every night.

Last edited:

Very similar to our board. Coach K can’t coach defense anymore and doesn’t use his bench.

Last edited:
Very similar to our board. Coach K can’t coach defense anymore and doesn’t use husband bench.
Coach K is a terrible defensive coach.
No doubt.
He is just lucky he has NBA talent to make his offenses good.
K like JB plays a short bench as well but if I had Bagley, Carter, Duval I would do that as well.
Those guys just can’t play good D.

We should never compare our program to Duke.
Duke hasn’t been close to the bubble since K came from back surgery.
We have missed the tournament in 2002, 2007, 2008, 2015, 2017.

We aren’t in that league.

Coach K has 5 NCs.
You realize NCs build you credibility.
Duke underachieves for sure but they have rings.
Do you think Patriots fans kill Belichick for losing to the Jets in 2010?
No because the team has 5 titles.
Comparing Duke to Syracuse isn’t the same thing.
Since 1998 Duke hasn’t been below a 6 seed in the tournament.

Fair points for sure.

K's been hanging around some bad seeds apparently. eddie haskells.

Boeheim was dumb when James Thues was passing to Deshaun Williams. He was smart when Gerry McNamara was passing to Carmelo Anthony.
Actually it was Billy who was passing to Melo, and Gerry that made that team.

This ^^^^^^^!

When i read this forum i dont so much see fans freaking out over the microcosm of this season. I more see fans who fear bigger picture troublesome trends are setting in. Hopefully those fears are completely misplaced! But i doubt we ll get much clarity on those fears or trends anytime too soon! Lol
Yeah but your post doesn’t kiss JB’s ass like the poster wants and the post he is responding is comparing our program to the top program in the nation that hasn’t been close to the bubble.
Maybe if we had that talent the comparison would even be close.
It’s like comparing the New England Patriots to the New Orleans Saints.
Both have done well recently but one is a dynasty and the other is really solid and has 1 title.

Yeah but your post doesn’t kiss JB’s ass like the poster wants and the post he is responding is comparing our program to the top program in the nation that hasn’t been close to the bubble.
Maybe if we had that talent the comparison would even be close.
It’s like comparing the New England Patriots to the New Orleans Saints.
Both have done well recently but one is a dynasty and the other is really solid and has 1 title.
Villanova doesnt have Dukes talent but has outperformed Duke the last two + seasons, for whatever thats worth. A lot of ways to get it done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom