I asked before the season if people would be patient with JB this year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I asked before the season if people would be patient with JB this year...

Yeah but your post doesn’t kiss JB’s ass like the poster wants and the post he is responding is comparing our program to the top program in the nation that hasn’t been close to the bubble.
Maybe if we had that talent the comparison would even be close.
It’s like comparing the New England Patriots to the New Orleans Saints.
Both have done well recently but one is a dynasty and the other is really solid and has 1 title.

Let me rephrase that, how many nba guys has SU had last 5 years ; how many nba guys has Vill had last 5 yrs? Its interesting to think about

Yeah but your post doesn’t kiss JB’s ass like the poster wants and the post he is responding is comparing our program to the top program in the nation that hasn’t been close to the bubble.
Maybe if we had that talent the comparison would even be close.
It’s like comparing the New England Patriots to the New Orleans Saints.
Both have done well recently but one is a dynasty and the other is really solid and has 1 title.

You are really something. I'm not kissing JB's ass nor am I asking anyone else to do it. And Cheri was not comparing our program to Duke if you read it again.
The question was how would we react if we had the talent that Duke has this year and were performing as they are. Then there might be some real reason to get upset.
We have a team that most thought would be a work in progress. Anyone could see that we'd be offensively challenged. The zone was keeping us in games because of that.
Do I like to see games like the last two? No. But I still think this team will improve.
It's easy to have high expectations when you have solid talent. You need to have patience when you have players that are still learning what they need to do.

The question is when will current situation change. 40 years is a long time. Have to call a spade a spade. Fill in the blanks

yes we'll likely lose buddy....
JB was already supposedly on his way out the door before hop left.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say he has to go, let him enjoy his last few years on his terms, hes earned it. But safe to say pretty sizable pressure on making the right pick on his successor!

Boeheim was dumb when James Thues was passing to Deshaun Williams. He was smart when Gerry McNamara was passing to Carmelo Anthony.
Good point. JB was lucky when GMac was passing to Carmelo. Carmelo was almost a generational talent, though. We should have an offense that works with the kinds of players we can more typically expect, and then when we do get a superstar, that offense should still be effective. Realistically, though, we don't even compete for recruits of that ilk. Bazely is coming, but we didn't recruit him in a normal context.

Other teams, that don't recruit nearly as well as we do, have more dynamic, versatile approaches. Just because we beat them doesn't mean our scheme is better than theirs.

You look at bigtime programs who have won a national championship like Villanova, Gtown, Ucon. A lotta different directions they can go after succession plan...

Yesterday was just really frustrating the way it went down.

Big picture, I'm patient.

Combo of sanctions, kids leaving earlier than planned when they were recruited have put us where we are. It will be better next year and beyond.

And we beat G'Town, UConn, Maryland so I'm not going to complain too much. My expectations were lower.

Yesterday was just a gut punch though. Leading basically the entire game and ends like that.

I wouldnt say he has to go, let him enjoy his last few years on his terms, hes earned it. But safe to say pretty sizable pressure on making the right pick on his successor!

He has earned it not disputing that fact. But we all know who should be leading this program. Hop should be coaching this squad.

He has earned it not disputing that fact. But we all know who should be leading this program. Hop should be coaching this squad.
Not convinced we d be better off with Hop as succession plan. Maybe maybe not. I am more concerned that we supposedly had a succession plan only to learn we didnt at all. And how that effects our next supposed succession plan. Which obviously will be very critical as we navigate the shark infested waters of acc! Lol

And pretty clearly these succession plans have and will impact recruiting. I think we re seeing it to some degree this year.

because I knew it was going to be a rough year, especially offensively due to a lack of offensive talent. I was assured by multiple people that everyone knew this was a developmental year until reinforcements came in next year. Boy you guys were wrong!!!
I can be patient with JB overall this season. But that doesn’t mean his coaching the past couple of games can’t be up for criticism. Not calling a timeout for that final possession was a mistake. I’m hopeful the offense will improve as the season wears on and he’ll fix the sudden rebounding issue. But JB needs to find some answers.

because I knew it was going to be a rough year, especially offensively due to a lack of offensive talent. I was assured by multiple people that everyone knew this was a developmental year until reinforcements came in next year. Boy you guys were wrong!!!
Explain to me how we managed to score against Maryland, Kansas and Gtown, etc. Sorry, but the offense has suddenly hit a new low.

A

Nobody on the board wanted Hop until he beat Kansas this year in Washington. Revisionist history.
nobody wanted hop until he proved he could actually head coach elsewhere. big difference.

Oshae has no chance of getting drafted this year. That’s delusional. I think he’ll improve his shooting percentages as the season wears on, but not enough to be a legit draft prospect yet.
They should be better but i notice you really didnt answer my question about Carey or Hughes being better than Battle. I doubt many fans expect them to be. Imo we really need either OB or TB to come back; if both leave next season might not be much different. We also need a healthy Sid. But if those moons align next year should be very exciting!

Getting drafted and leaving are not the same thing. Pretty sure Devendorf and Harris left but werent drafted. And then even if you are drafted, i couldnt tell you where exactly Lydon and Mal are right now. OB is far from certain in coming back imo

I've accepted that the offense is dependent on the talent of the individual players. That's why Bazley and Carey are such big recruits. The offense ain't changing under JB, especially when his coaching tree all played for him.

I was frustrated yesterday because we just did not have the same fire as we did early in the year. I'm over it now. It's not surprising we're going to do dumb things. We're still a very young/inexperienced team.
I am not mad about the team this year.
I am frustrated we don’t change.
You can’t be stagnant.
It’s not a recipe for success when you don’t have the pieces.
You should not make chicken salad if you don’t have the ingredients for it.
Make chicken soup.
That is frustrating.
JB gets ultra defensive whenever this is brought up.
Watch other teams.
Players cut and move and try to help get a good shot.
Why can’t we do that?
He’s obsessed with only running an NBA style offense, even when we don’t have all the right personnel for it. Even if you don’t scrap the entire offense, why not be creative and run some different sets? That said, we were more effective earlier in the year. We need to get that fire back again. Guys are playing way too tentatively.

sidibe is injured (but we play him anyway). but players leaving our program does come back a bit to the head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom