I assume the fan group they created is still active? | Syracusefan.com

I assume the fan group they created is still active?

upperdeck

Living Legend
how is the wifi/4g/ Out of town scores/PA stuff not being discussed and fixed

the tailgate thing does make me wonder. the quad was dead before the game? was that a friday night thing? the bounce house kid stuff and other fan friendly things were gone?

one year they asked for ideas and many of those things happened? in this say of facebook/twitter/web pages/blogs/FAQ why no central spot to send/organize ideas and have them respond to them as to why it would or wouldnt work so people stop asking the same questions over and over?

did anyone buy that crazy expensive box seat thing they were offering?

but he the ribbon board was running all game with nothing on it?

the Dome might be the last place on earth to go to get away from whats happening in the world.

Living away from CNY - I haven't been able to make a home game since 2011. I've been to plenty of away games in that time period - but this past Friday's game was my first opportunity to go to a home game now that I live back in NY.

Was truly shocked at how bad the gameday experience was. Couple of things really stand out to me...

1. Can't believe the WiFi thing hasn't been figured out yet. I have Verizon LTE, and I couldn't even load twitter to get updates (was trying to get info on Cordy). This seems to have been taken care of at every away game stadium I've been to. Very sad.

2. For the life of me, I don't understand how we haven't figured out promotions and game events. I watched one of the event handlers yell at Otto because he/she wasn't where they needed to be for the sprinting game. The thing with the grocery cart was just awful. I was sitting 4 rows from the field, and I couldn't hear the PA announcer. The bell - horrible. My wife (who has never been to a home game) said the bell was enough to stop her from coming back. Really annoying. I miss the whistle.

3. Fine Tailgate Lot - Enough to get my wife to agree to come to more home games. Awesome time with meeting some great people.

Need to fix this stuff. It matters to the causal fan.

there are some fixed that would make some stuff interesting.. the food truck thing at the fair. try it on the quad or Manley or skytop but let people know its happening. create some place for people to ask questions that isnt some canned FAQ of questions that have long been answered.

Hate being negative but why would the cheerleaders try to get fans to cheer 'Let's Go' with 'Syracuse" - way too long, lame and awkward. I literally cringed - it was embarrassing. Why not try "whose house' then 'our house'?

At least it appears that the 'pick your new seat' approach seemed to work. The empty seats were mostly in the 3rd tier so camera angles on the crowd might look better when focused lower.

My pet peeve - the horrible sound system makes most improvements not only moot but mute. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I think more people actually sang the national anthem played by the band then I had heard in years.

Pete Sala is a good guy but lives in the past. He was the one to bring back the cow bell, not Wildhack.

Here is what is typical university mentality - Pete Sala is running the Dome at peak efficiency - so much so that he's also sucked the living life and fun out of the gameday experience too. So as a typical administrator he will check box everything saying we ran this ship Friday night with no mistakes or injuries - check. Let's do the same next week - check. Don't let people out at halftime to go back to their tailgate then come back - lets blame it on smokers - check. Forget the pregame experience, now that I'm in charge of all facilities let's also keep all the grounds outside in perfect condition and not allow any festivities on the grounds - check.

The quad - SUs holy ground, they really don't want anyone there to mess up the lawn. Only 2 tents were set up whereas just 15 years ago the lawn was packed with tents and things to do. Unlike other universities where they welcome everyone everywhere to set up game day tents on any piece of grass, SU doesn't allow it because they are exclusive not inclusive of anyone outside the university to enjoy themselves pregame. While I know it's up to fans to create their own game day experience, with the parking lots situation that's terrible for football tailgating, they need to open up that quad for all fans and be far more community inclusive - meaning hey, if you don't have a parking pass in a close lot where you can tailgate and must walk a long way to get to the Dome - stop by the quad and do lots of stuff.

Instead, Pete and the administration have effectively "sucked the life and fun out of pregame" - check. I brought with me this game an out of town friend and his comment was that the Quad & Dome seem very cold and unfriendly compared his university where they invite and encourage people to come and have fun. I've been there on game days and it's really night and day difference...it's simply a shame because it could very easily be so much better.

Last edited:
Hate being negative but why would the cheerleaders try to get fans to cheer 'Let's Go' with 'Syracuse" - way too long, lame and awkward. I literally cringed - it was embarrassing. Why not try "whose house' then 'our house'?

At least it appears that the 'pick your new seat' approach seemed to work. The empty seats were mostly in the 3rd tier so camera angles on the crowd might look better when focused lower.

My pet peeve - the horrible sound system makes most improvements not only moot but mute. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I think more people actually sang the national anthem played by the band then I had heard in years.

The bell was certainly cringe-worthy and felt very small time.

This bugs me to no end. We have a golden opportunity in Whose House? Our House! and we're not using it! How pumped were we when it happened and we STILL talk about it here. It's actually been my ringtone since then lol. Even my young kids, who could give a hoot about football, go nuts when they hear it. I kept waiting for it. I thought they'd run out in the tunnel to it, nope. Then maybe I thought they'd use it how you suggested... or at the end of the game (it's not their fault...) Gah! Someone please implement this!

Next game: Otto wrecks the bell with a sledge hammer followed by the Elmira Express intro video and train whistle commences.

The atmosphere was so boring.
The Wifi was terrible had to use my own data.

It's a terrible environment and if they care about game experience they aren't doing anything to improve it.
The bell was just stupid.

3. Fine Tailgate Lot - Enough to get my wife to agree to come to more home games. Awesome time with meeting some great people.

Great to hear. I believe the tailgate has that affect on many.

I enjoyed watching you drop a huge plate of food and try to blame someone else. LOL.

It was the Russians. I was there.

Even UConn puts on a better Gameday experience ... FFS

And in all my social not knowing anyone awkwardness at the tailgate, I now know who you are lol :)

Now you know. Come say hello next time!

Honestly, not the worst thing I've ever done at a tailgate. I'm sure some posters here can attest.

Wake? NCSU? Louisville? Clemson? LOL

Now you know. Come say hello next time!

Honestly, not the worst thing I've ever done at a tailgate. I'm sure some posters here can attest.

Wake? NCSU? Louisville? Clemson? LOL
Haha, I will next time for sure! It was our first time and I was really wishing we had those name tags lol.

And in all my social not knowing anyone awkwardness at the tailgate, I now know who you are lol :)

That's right, you guys were coming to the tailgate. I had forgotten. I saw one prego walking around. Were you wearing a white top?

That's right, you guys were coming to the tailgate. I had forgotten. I saw one prego walking around. Were you wearing a white top?
No, I saw her at the game though lol. I had my "I married into this" shirt on. I thought you commented on it. Maybe that was someone else lol

No, I saw her at the game though lol. I had my "I married into this" shirt on. I thought you commented on it. Maybe that was someone else lol

Wasn't me. I guess I didn't see you then. Lots of people there.

I was at the OU game yesterday. One thing they did really well was to allow college groups, clubs, fraternities and sororities to have tents and sell food, drinks and snacks. This was in an open quad area, and they also have a group that rents space to tailgaters who wish to tailgate directly across from the stadium. The offer includes what the tailgate group wants from just a tent/chairs and tables to full catering.

Perhaps SU should look into these ideas, money makers for the school and for the groups associated with the school. They still host an official tailgate that gets you into the practice facility loaded with restaurants, for $30 it's all you can eat. Another revenue stream for the AD/School.

I wondered why the dont offer some tailgating service in the quad. you could have 20-30 groups of people pay a small fee for a space or a full deal. give people a way to get their stuff in 2-3 hrs early and get out later as part of the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom