I don't care what measure you use... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I don't care what measure you use...

he didn't lose the ball, he slipped and fell, and lost the ball. and how are layups forced shots? he blew by his guy and got to the basket. he didn't finish but they aren't forced shots. jb gave him credit for being aggressive and getting to the hole but he has to make those.
Come off it, bees. I know you have a man crush on Triche but he's been in a funk for weeks. We need him to get on track but he is a basket case at this point.

yep, for not finishing. as was dion for not finishing and not running the play jb called.
I didn't say anything about dion. I'm not in the middle of that debate here. Both players need to step up in my opinion.

At least he is playing team defense and valuing the ball in end of game sits.

Come off it, bees. I know you have a man crush on Triche but he's been in a funk for weeks. We need him to get on track but he is a basket case at this point.
He and Dion have been MIA. We need both these guys back on track. If I watch Dion shoot one more fall away foul line jumper I'm going to go postal.

Come on men!! The 02-03 team was getting down by 15 to every team they played all through February!! They were relying on 2 FT's by Jeremy McNeil and 3 do-overs to beat PU as recently as 2/1. They played great against MSU and won a very close game, and unranked MSU mind you. They got down by 18 in the tournament to OSU. The world is not ending right now.

You're exaggerating. They were a better pressing team, so you always felt like they would come back. Opponents like WVU would get cold from outside in the second half. Pitt was a very good team. So was MSU.

Most important, though, they didn't get sloppy on offense. They trailed early in games because teams shot the lights out.

Plus they had Melo.

(Please spare us the "They have a Melo now" snark.)

come off what? saying the missed layups aren't forced shots? must be a triche hater.

Any layup that doesn't land in the cylinder inside rim is forced. Heck even some that do are. Those layups didn't look like they were in the cylinder.

Just a off game for triche it happens.
Fact is Dion did force some things off the dribble as well but his 3-6 shooting and 1 turnover and 2 assists were better then 0-6.
I liked how triche got a hand out in the perimeter late in the game and got that big rebound late in the game though. I liked how Dion only took 6 shots today instead of 12. I liked how dion was breathing hard on defense. :)

You're exaggerating. They were a better pressing team, so you always felt like they would come back. Opponents like WVU would get cold from outside in the second half. Pitt was a very good team. So was MSU.

Most important, though, they didn't get sloppy on offense. They trailed early in games because teams shot the lights out.

Plus they had Melo.

I mean if you want to make stuff up about past seasons so you can feel devastated about this team, go ahead. In 2003 we were completely dominant and there was no doubt or question that we had the NC wrapped up through that whole season. Any close games we had were due to historically fluke performances by opponents.

I guess I don't understand the point.

he didn't lose the ball, he slipped and fell, and lost the ball. and how are layups forced shots? he blew by his guy and got to the basket. he didn't finish but they aren't forced shots. jb gave him credit for being aggressive and getting to the hole but he has to make those.
Although Triche failed to finish those drives, it was good to see him finally get to the rim like that again. His offense will come around soon.

And he continues to play tenaciously at the top of the zone and rarely gets caught out of position. I think that's why JB had him in down the stretch tonight.

come off what? saying the missed layups aren't forced shots? must be a triche hater.
Come off the excuses train. I like Triche. Not a hater. He's been awful lately.

I felt they were fine tonight.
We were down 18-5
USF missed their last 9 shots of the half we took a 4 point lead at the half.

Then we got up 13 around the 12 mintue mark of the second half screwed around...
Triche forced 2 layups a jumper and dribbled one off his foot , Dion forced a layup, CJ forced a drive from the three point line(not his game), Melo(from beyond the free throw line), and Scoop trying to beat a clear double team.
Just a few bad plays put together.

Then we got up like 8-10 again and did the same thing only giving usf like 8 fast break points.

Tonight we could have blew this team out but forced transition shots drives, layups and didn't. Thats ok though we won comfortably.

Triche's drive and dribble off his foot killed our momentum, ended our scoring run, and ended their drought. That was a huge play. That could have been the possession that broke their back and solidified the blow out, but instead they got an easy transition bucket and their confidence back.

Come off the excuses train. I like Triche. Not a hater. He's been awful lately.

show me the excuse made for him. no where did i say he played well.

We're not going to win a NC unless Triche plays to his capability. JB has to allow him to work through things and get his groove back. He's a good player who brings a lot to the table. I am confident he will get it together.

We're not going to win a NC unless Triche plays to his capability. JB has to allow him to work through things and get his groove back. He's a good player who brings a lot to the table. I am confident he will get it together.
You are more confident n Brandon than he is in himself.

You are more confident n Brandon than he is in himself.

I am confident in him but I'll admit that he frustrates me. He is a better shooter, rebounder, defender and overall athlete than Scoop but to Scoop's credit he has been getting it done. I do not like Scoop as a defender particularly in the 2H of games where he has played a lot. No energy and he moves in a two foot radius. No doubt though that Scoop is massively improved over last year. He deserves a lot of credit for that.

I mean if you want to make stuff up about past seasons so you can feel devastated about this team, go ahead. In 2003 we were completely dominant and there was no doubt or question that we had the NC wrapped up through that whole season. Any close games we had were due to historically fluke performances by opponents.

I guess I don't understand the point.

What did I make up exactly? That team did not trail every opponent by 15 points in February, so who is making things up? Pitt was ranked #2 when we beat them and already had a win over us earlier in the year. MSU went to the Elite Eight.

I don't remember the exact number of comeback wins the NC team had, but it was more than 10. It's one thing to have a team that routinely proves it can erase a double-digit lead behind a solid press and a variety of offensive weapons. It's another to have a team that continues to win ugly because they get into bad habits. The 02-03 team was always focused because they started the season unranked and had to work their way up. This year's rendition has been in the top five since the beginning and they took their feet off the gas a while ago.

Come on men!! The 02-03 team was getting down by 15 to every team they played all through February!! They were relying on 2 FT's by Jeremy McNeil and 3 do-overs to beat PU as recently as 2/1. They played great against MSU and won a very close game, and unranked MSU mind you. They got down by 18 in the tournament to OSU. The world is not ending right now.
Absolutely, but that team also could score at will. I think that's the concern right now for most, the offense. With that said, they keep coming through, so hopefully that continues.

show me the excuse made for him. no where did i say he played well.

Maybe we're thinking about different plays, but I don't believe he slipped when he lost the ball. He tried to cross a guy over on the break and got the ball cleanly stolen.

Maybe we're thinking about different plays, but I don't believe he slipped when he lost the ball. He tried to cross a guy over on the break and got the ball cleanly stolen.

yea, it was a different play. the one you're talking about i didn't watch a replay of but some posters here did and they said the usf player kicked the ball or something.

Syracuse has a range (just like every other team does). Our range goes from Ville/GTown/USF type games to Uconn type games. We are winning every game in that range. In years prior our low range games would be losses. Big difference.

Blowout wins in the regular season dont mean in the NCAAs.

I haven't read the entire thread but I have to say that the only measure that counts is Ws and Ls and by that measure, we are not playing mediocre basketball.

yea, it was a different play. the one you're talking about i didn't watch a replay of but some posters here did and they said the usf player kicked the ball or something.

Thanks, I usually watch the replay but didn't catch that one.

Plus they had Melo.

And in 2003, on boards like this everyone would gripe that our defense wasnt good enough to win..."We cant just outscore teams every night!"

You can win by being a great defensive team (which we are). Gottlieb the other night (on a different game) was talking about shooting percentage numbers. I forget the exact numbers but essentially what he said was "if you hold a team under 44% you are a good defensive team, if you hold them under 41% you are great, if you hold them under 40% you are ridiculous."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom