I Don't Care What they Say: | Syracusefan.com

I Don't Care What they Say:

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
1. Mackey looks like Rudy out there. He looks about 5' 9" and 230 lbs. This isn't going to get better as the season goes on. I mean, we refused to run on 3rd and inches a couple times, for an obvious reason. We need someone to be better than him next season. But he is pretty good at shotgun snaps, which we seemingly were unable to do last year, so there's that.

2. Bailey had a decent game, but is not an every down back. I'm glad that Smith got some carries, but we need either him or another back to emerge as a pound the ball inside threat between the tackles. Or give it to that FB who has looked so good on swing passes out of the backfield.

3. The defense played remarkably well for so many injuries and so little offense today. We only had 2 freaking first downs at half time. But they just wore down. Hope this one doesn't hurt too bad, emotionally. We really need to get some guys back healthy.

4. I told you this game was huge. We really needed this game because this team is just not there yet. We're still playing on hype and emotion, not pure talent. Getting to 6 wins is going to be challenging, and this needed to be one of them. Remember how we wore down last year, going from 6-2 to 7-5?

5. How bad was the kicking game today? Wow.

6. Nassib was due to be human, but he made just a couple mistakes too many today.

agreed -- my issue is with the horrendous play calling. I defended hackett last week when we scored 33 and won. This game, with the positions we were in, we should have scored 40. disgusted. :bang:

1. Mackey looks like Rudy out there. He looks about 5' 9" and 230 lbs. This isn't going to get better as the season goes on. I mean, we refused to run on 3rd and inches a couple times, for an obvious reason. We need someone to be better than him next season. But he is pretty good at shotgun snaps, which we seemingly were unable to do last year, so there's that.

2. Bailey had a decent game, but is not an every down back. I'm glad that Smith got some carries, but we need either him or another back to emerge as a pound the ball inside threat between the tackles. Or give it to that FB who has looked so good on swing passes out of the backfield.

3. The defense played remarkably well for so many injuries and so little offense today. We only had 2 freaking first downs at half time. But they just wore down. Hope this one doesn't hurt too bad, emotionally. We really need to get some guys back healthy.

4. I told you this game was huge. We really needed this game because this team is just not there yet. We're still playing on hype and emotion, not pure talent. Getting to 6 wins is going to be challenging, and this needed to be one of them. Remember how we wore down last year, going from 6-2 to 7-5?

5. How bad was the kicking game today? Wow.

6. Nassib was due to be human, but he made just a couple mistakes too many today.

This says it all. I'll wake up in the morning ready to move on. Tough tough loss.
GO ORANGE !

agreed -- my issue is with the horrendous play calling. I defended hackett last week when we scored 33 and won. This game, with the positions we were in, we should have scored 40. disgusted. :bang:
Absolutely. I will add that I'd like to see Bailey run outside more. Good things happen when he bounces outside of the tackles.

I thought what Macky did today was OK. What concerns me more is what we can't do as a team with him there. The QB sneak. Everyone else uses it on 3rd or 4th and less than 1. We can't and won't.

he is a liability period not saying we have anyone better this year but he is what he is and undersized under hard working kid who is technically sound smart and plays his ass off he just doesnt have the size to play at this level and no amount of hustle can make up for it

he is a liability period not saying we have anyone better this year but he is what he is and undersized under hard working kid who is technically sound smart and plays his ass off he just doesnt have the size to play at this level and no amount of hustle can make up for it

Do we have anyone to take his place on short yardage?

Yes Allport if he isnt hurt should be playing Center in short yardage situations

I thought what Macky did today was OK. What concerns me more is what we can't do as a team with him there. The QB sneak. Everyone else uses it on 3rd or 4th and less than 1. We can't and won't.

I'm trying to be pro-Mackey for obvious reasons. I'd really like the kid to succeed. But he just does not pass the looks test, and the idea that we can't call a QB sneak with him at center is troubling. And if we pull him for someone else, that obviously signals the play call.

Like I said earlier, if he's playing, he's the best we've got (just like the Paulus situation late in that year). But I hope that someone can beat him out next year.

The real shame in all of this is that the defense turned in not just a game that was above what could be expected but really blew even the most optimistic fan's expectations (except for a few dropped INT opportunities). The defense alone could have accounted for 21 to 28 points if the offense and PAT/FG units were able to convert.

Something is telling me Marrone will run very difficult practices over the next few weeks of practice.

I'm trying to be pro-Mackey for obvious reasons. I'd really like the kid to succeed. But he just does not pass the looks test, and the idea that we can't call a QB sneak with him at center is troubling. And if we pull him for someone else, that obviously signals the play call.

Like I said earlier, if he's playing, he's the best we've got (just like the Paulus situation late in that year). But I hope that someone can beat him out next year.

Isn't Trudo supposed to be the center of the future?

i hope marrone does not run difficult practices for the next few weeks. imho, he needs to lighten up somewhat. he is pressing himself to much, he looks 10 years older since he started this job. i think he demeanor in the week leading up to this game created a tense situation for the players, certainly it did for us fans. he will be a great coach. this is a time to regroup not point fingers, and focus on needs(s/t). i believe that he will do just that.

Yeah - we need it...

I dunno what the answer is... maybe Tiller needs to rep some snaps at center just for the QB Sneak?

It's an integral play... you simply can't have it in your arsenal...

As Marrone has said... "We're not good enough to make numerous mistakes and expect to win games."

We're also not good enough to convert short yardage w/o a QB sneak at least in the arsenal... especially with Carter gone...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom