I don't think I've ever seen this before re: AP/Coaches Poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't think I've ever seen this before re: AP/Coaches Poll

If I had a vote I wouldn’t put Clemson in the top 5.
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Auburn
4. LSU
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Wisconsin
8. Clemson
9. Oregon
10. Iowa

Would be my top 10 on a ballot.

The coastal’s a dumpster fire. Thats not a win that jumps you over the sitting 1.

Never said it was. You asked who they beat of note and if you’re saying beating a top 3-4 team in Clemson’s conference by 39 isn’t impressive you’re being more harsh to Clemson than me.

Bama is blowing out everyone they play. Clemson just was a 2 point conversion away from losing to a mid tier team from that “dumpster fire” that a week ago was beat by App St. and is 2-3 on the year.

The week 5 rankings don’t matter. If anything Clemson’s probably glad because now Dabo can go back on TV and play the underdog card.

Yeah, but a 1 point win that should have been an overtime game against one of those Coastal dumpster fire teams can drop you from #1.

I'm surprised they didn't fall further, as impressive as some of the other top teams have looked.
Sure, if Bama had beaten say LSU/Georgia/Aurbun/florida or a more impressive sec team by now that clemson hadnt already done a more impressive job beating (A&M).

I just think this early in the season it’s a bit silly. In conference opponents can play you tough when you’re on the road.

And... that’s why you don’t get a ballot.
Clemson has not been as impressive as the other teams IMO.
You realize each person’s ballot is subjective.
Nobody’s poll is right.

Clemson
Bama
Georgia
Oklahoma
OSU

Is my top 5. Auburn’s been impressive but that’s not rookie Fromm or Tua, they’ll hit a brick wall vs LSU and Bama. Or maybe i’ll have some major crow.

Who impressive has Bama pummeled? This ranking is based off of the name alone and which conference “matters”.

Bama’s done nothing in 2019 to earn this.
Duke who clemson could meet in the acc title game. Where is Clemson's big win?

Clemson has not looked great this year even against bad teams like Syracuse.

They're reminding me a lot of 2014 Florida State. They're going to sneak into the Playoff only to get blasted.

That 2014 FSU team had a TON of games where they went down big early and had to come back and/or escaped at the very end. It was literally over half the games they played that year. They were 3-11 against the spread in 2014. Clemson has only had one game like that in their first five games. It's extremely rare for a team to go wire-to-wire in-conference without being challenged.

Reactions: gbo
And everyone will complain when they play Samford on Nov 23.

People complain that we aren’t allowed to construct our schedule in the most advantageous way for us. Also, people are crazy.

The poll as shown by the OP shows 5 SEC teams. The fact remains that alone is not logical. Too many voters don't have a clue and watch Finebaum. They should immediately be replaced by a barrel of monkeys.

As to Auburn, I was at the TAMU game, if they win out, then the SEC is third class. TAMU has issues and Auburn should have won by much more. Their QB could not hit a receiver more than 10-15 yards down field Yes, there was plenty of YAC, but every play over 20 yards the ball was 5 yards or more off target.

I expect LSU and Bama beat Auburn. LSU has them in Death Valley. I think UGA can beat them, too, but the game is at Auburn.

Clemson hasn't looked impressive. I have no problem with the drop. The polls don't matter anyway. The committee will determine who they think is top 4. If Clemson goes undefeated, they'll be in. If the slip up, they won't. Their schedule and unimpresssive wins so far don't leave room for error.

And everyone will complain when they play Samford on Nov 23.
Without looking I can almost guarantee you thats the week before the Iron Bowl with Alabama. Alabama also miraculously schedules North Eastern Southern Polytechnical University that weekend. It's amazing :)

I guess people forget that the last 4 years Clemson has always had a game where they either lose or come dangerously close to it against a team the media doesn't deem "good"...
Hey...

The ACC is historically bad looking at S&P+. If you want to make the argument that a team shouldn't drop unless they lose, that's fine, but if not, you can't argue that Clemson is a better team than Bama so far this season.

The poll as shown by the OP shows 5 SEC teams.

Auburn beat Oregon on a neutral field. LSU won at Texas. Georgia beat Notre Dame. Those three teams and obviously Bama have to be in the Top 10. Florida I'm not quite sold on yet but they're still 5-0.

Without looking I can almost guarantee you thats the week before the Iron Bowl with Alabama. Alabama also miraculously schedules North Eastern Southern Polytechnical University that weekend. It's amazing :)
Clemson has often scheduled a patsy the week before their game with South Carolina. I don't think they did last year and this year it's a conference game, but they still have Wofford coming up in November.

Some SEC teams schedule cream puffs OOC. Alabama and Auburn have actually done a good job of scheduling a good P5 team most years.

Auburn beat Oregon on a neutral field. LSU won at Texas. Georgia beat Notre Dame. Those three teams and obviously Bama have to be in the Top 10. Florida I'm not quite sold on yet but they're still 5-0.

I think the issue with the SEC is that their middle is often overrated.

The top teams you listed are legit. But those teams somehow get credit for beating the middle, which is on par with the middle of every other P5 conference (SC lost to UNC, Miss St lost to Kansas St, Ole Miss lost to Memphis, Mizzou lost to Wyoming, Arkansas lost to San Jose St, etc).

It's always weird that the top few SEC teams are lauded for running the SEC gauntlet, when that really only applies to when they beat another top team. The rest ain't all that impressive.

I think the issue with the SEC is that their middle is often overrated.

The top teams you listed are legit. But those teams somehow get credit for beating the middle, which is on par with the middle of every other P5 conference (SC lost to UNC, Miss St lost to Kansas St, Ole Miss lost to Memphis, Mizzou lost to Wyoming, Arkansas lost to San Jose St, etc).

It's always weird that the top few SEC teams are lauded for running the SEC gauntlet, when that really only applies to when they beat another top team. The rest ain't all that impressive.
The SEC East sans Georgia and Florida has been highly mediocre but that TOUGH SECZ gauntlet.
Florida lost to Missouri at home last year and barely paid for in the polls. We lost to undefeated Notre Dame with our QB hurt and we fell crazy.
The top SEC teams are legit. Their middle is always overrated.
Ole Miss/Kentucky/Mississippi State/Missouri are basically on the level of Virginia Tech and NC State but get SEC credit.

The SEC East sans Georgia and Florida has been highly mediocre but that TOUGH SECZ gauntlet.
Florida lost to Missouri at home last year and barely paid for in the polls. We lost to undefeated Notre Dame with our QB hurt and we fell crazy.
The top SEC teams are legit. Their middle is always overrated.
Ole Miss/Kentucky/Mississippi State/Missouri are basically on the level of Virginia Tech and NC State but get SEC credit.
It depends on the division. Georgia certainly has an easier road in the east. The west is legit this year. Auburn proved itself OOC. LSU beat Texas. The winner of the division will likely play Georgia in the SEC championship game. Whoever comes oit of that will have proven themself. I can't think of another division in other conference that's better this year.

Man I hate defending the SEC. I hope Clemson gets their crap together so I don't have to watch tje SEC win another NC.

I guess people forget that the last 4 years Clemson has always had a game where they either lose or come dangerously close to it against a team the media doesn't deem "good"...
Ya it's no big deal I would bet my house on clemson being in the title game again but can't fault voters for putting bama ahead of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom