I dont understand this board sometimes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I dont understand this board sometimes

We aren't what we are. We have 8-5 talent but will underachieve. We have lost 8 straight games where we had more talent than half the teams we lost to. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! Why is it that losing has become acceptable?
Says who?

Now you want it both ways. You constantly complain that the staff can't recruit but when it fits your argument you make a statement that we have 8-5 talent? Who knew?

Winning and losing can be habit-forming. Our hoops team has a habit of winning. They expect to win every game. In football, we have enough talent to win more than we lose but we have made a habit of losing and I don't think our team really thinks it can win most games. Like we fans, I think the team subconsciously expects bad things to happen to take away games. Is the blame on the players or coaches? Probably both.

We have to break the habit.

Winning and losing can be habit-forming. Our hoops team has a habit of winning. They expect to win every game. In football, we have enough talent to win more than we lose but we have made a habit of losing and I don't think our team really thinks it can win most games. Like we fans, I think the team subconsciously expects bad things to happen to take away games. Is the blame on the players or coaches? Probably both.

Agree completely. It's the culture and it's extremely difficult to break. Saying it is one thing, believing it, so that you can actually do it, is another.

Says who?

Now you want it both ways. You constantly complain that the staff can't recruit but when it fits your argument you make a statement that we have 8-5 talent? Who knew?

We have 8-5 talent IMO vs OUR schedule. If we were in the ACC I would think we have 5-7 talent. It is all relative. I think we lack playmakers. I think the staff is recruiting solid guys and a lot of depth. The lack of playmakers is keeping us from being a Top 40 team. I think a Top 60 team goes 8-5 with our schedule. I think we have Top 60 talent.

To me the teams problems seem more psychological then athletic ability. I see talent, but too many correctable mistakes are happening. I mean, we had 3 freakin' possessions in a row resulting in a turnover. You're not winning that game yet we only lost by a TD

Like someone mentioned I think they expect the worst and thus, the worst occurs.

I'm hoping the extra week off can be used to forget the past, re-orient, and focus on positive potentials. They can still win the Big East and go to the BCS, this really needs to be put across to them. There's still hope.

But man, I am praying we can somehow get over 40K for the friday night game. If silver lines the dome everywhere I fear the team might be deflated out of the gate. I want them inspired coming out of the gate firing. WE NEED TO WIN THIS GAME.

To me the teams problems seem more psychological then athletic ability. I see talent, but too many correctable mistakes are happening. I mean, we had 3 freakin' possessions in a row resulting in a turnover. You're not winning that game yet we only lost by a TD

Do you think the players are subconsciously committing turnovers? Would Nassib's passes stopped getting tipped at the LOS if we called in Dr Phil?

Do you think the players are subconsciously committing turnovers? Would Nassib's passes stopped getting tipped at the LOS if we called in Dr Phil?

Interesting question. Let's face it, when kids get to this level, they've obvioulsy been playing the game for a long time. Many of the weekly blunders are basic football fundamentals where kids have been quite aware of ball security, focus, etc., for a long time know. Is it possible that Marrone's approach/technique with the kids is making them play too uptight, too worried about making a mistake, etc. versus just going out there and playing?

Like someone mentioned I think they expect the worst and thus, the worst occurs.

I'm hoping the extra week off can be used to forget the past, re-orient, and focus on positive potentials. They can still win the Big East and go to the BCS, this really needs to be put across to them. There's still hope.

But man, I am praying we can somehow get over 40K for the friday night game. If silver lines the dome everywhere I fear the team might be deflated out of the gate. I want them inspired coming out of the gate firing. WE NEED TO WIN THIS GAME.
I think there will be a silver lining in Dome on Oct. 5th - just not the good kind, sadly.

Unfortunately we might not have 20,000 for the pitt game, hope I'm way off don't want a lot of empty seats around me.

Stop. With two weeks to prepare for their conference opener, and knowing they should probably be 3-1, this team should be sufficiently motivated. If they are not, then there will have been a massive failure all around. If they lose to Pitt it will because they are outplayed on the field, not because they see too many empty seats in the Dome.

Unfortunately we might not have 20,000 for the pitt game, hope I'm way off don't want a lot of empty seats around me.
I think we'll surpass 20k, but I will be surprised if we pass 30k.

It's a Friday night...so I'm guessing more like 34k.

We have 8-5 talent IMO vs OUR schedule. If we were in the ACC I would think we have 5-7 talent. It is all relative. I think we lack playmakers. I think the staff is recruiting solid guys and a lot of depth. The lack of playmakers is keeping us from being a Top 40 team. I think a Top 60 team goes 8-5 with our schedule. I think we have Top 60 talent.
This is correct, we have enough talent with a Big East schedule, but not enough talent for the FSU/Clemson types. We are on par with Maryland, Wake Forest Boston College in the ACC.

We have 8 games left. Pitt, USF, Connecticut, and Temple are all winnable games - whether we execute and win is another story.

We're due for an upset, and Marrone's teams have always matched up well with Rutgers regardless of how the season is going.

A 6 or 7 win season is still possible - but if the mental mistakes, penalties, and turnovers continue, you can forget about it.

One thing we have in our favor is Pugh coming back and that's going to have a huge effect on the line, Sweet Lou gets to go back to where he should be - depth, and Hickey can slide over to his natural RT spot. That is a big, big thing. Another thing is that the specials have seemed to straighten themselves out somewhat - hopefully they continue to head in the right direction.

As in the film, I believe that leadership is the cure, though the "Two-Bit Carney Hypnotist" is pretty funny. Nassib has shown it at times on offense, Lyn showed it at times against Minnesota, but in general we haven't seen enough big plays when we've needed them. It may be we don't have enough "playmakers", but I think it's more that the players and coaches don't seize the playmaker role enough. We miss so many opportunities that could have better results. I remember at one point there was discussion about the number of players that had been captains on their high school teams. We need some true captains on THIS team.

The personality of this team is difficult to describe. For me I thought going to Fort Drum would create a more obvious sense of team and discipline. I have to say I was a little surprised while watching video of groups of SU players doing Army team building exercises and most of the players are laughing and having a good time. That's not what I imagined. I seriously doubt anyone in the Army laughs while doing those same exercises. Sometimes the camera being on does that sort of thing which is why I never mentioned it back in August.

I do think this team is better than last year and more together. They just need to clean things up. I'd also like to see more leadership in all three phases. On offense I'm hoping Pugh, Chibane or even Mackey steps up as a vocal a leader on the field. Nassib can lead by running the offense, being positive and returning to his peak performance level asap after he makes a mistake. He's been doing a better job of that this year. He doesn't need to be a vocal leader if someone else has that personality. On defense I'm not sure who can be the leader on the field, but I trust that someone is capable. All phases of the special teams need one or two guys out there making sure people are lined up and ready to go.

I keep saying "baby steps", and its indisputable IMO, that this team has improved.
The ticky-tacky mistakes and mental aspects are what's killing us now, not so much the physical.
It's on HCDM...but some of this is just about growth, maturity, confidence, and execution.
Hate to keep saying "give it time", but we absolutely have to show steady improvement in wins and losses as this year plays out.
If we end it on an upswing, then we'll still be on track.
If the wheels fall off, then...couchburn

I think we have had 4 games - one that we should be expected to lose, one we should expect to win, and two toss-ups. Instead of going 1 - 1 in those games, we went 0 and 2. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Stop. With two weeks to prepare for their conference opener, and knowing they should probably be 3-1, this team should be sufficiently motivated. If they are not, then there will have been a massive failure all around. If they lose to Pitt it will because they are outplayed on the field, not because they see too many empty seats in the Dome.

I don't agree, the atmopshere influnces their play. these are kids and they feed off of the emotional highs of the game. the energy of the crowd motivates them, gives them just that extra push to win. They would be much better off playing in front of a capacity crowd and that crowd works against the opponent as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom