I dread the Final Four this year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I dread the Final Four this year.

Again, BC has never been relevant in college basketball. They are a perennial power conference bottom feeder.

BC is such a low bar that the bar is barely above the floor.
I don't want to argue BC relevancy but that just isn't true. If you're only talking while in the ACC, yes. However, in the Big East, they had a few solid seasons where they finished in the top 25.

Hey! Look at all the Final Four talk in this thread.

Yeah.

These are probably $12 now...

huge-ass-beers-min-220x300.png

I don't want to argue BC relevancy but that just isn't true. If you're only talking while in the ACC, yes. However, in the Big East, they had a few solid seasons where they finished in the top 25.
Such a low, low, low bar. We’re talking about 40 years. They’re a garbage, irrelevant program.

Good god I can’t believe people here are actually trying to build up BC. How far have the fans around here sunk? Most here are grasping at straws trying to justify the decline. It’s apparent we’ve lowered our standards.

Again, BC has never been relevant in college basketball. They are a perennial power conference bottom feeder.

BC is such a low bar that the bar is barely above the floor.
They were good in the mid 2000s under Skinner. We were outclassed head to head with the Dudley/Craig Smith teams.

Right now you can't compare Syracuse to the teams playing next weekend. Its unfortunate. I think there is avery good chance we become a blueblood again if we don't do anything stupid like hire an assistant. We should really be making a change right now.

Kansas is the best of the bad choices.
For me, UNC is the best choice, then Kansas. Don't want to see Kansas win again and the championship will make Big 12 the best conference this year. We want ACC the best conference this year. That makes UNC is the best of four bad choices.

Such a low, low, low bar. We’re talking about 40 years. They’re a garbage, irrelevant program.

Good god I can’t believe people here are actually trying to build up BC. How far have the fans around here sunk? Most here are grasping at straws trying to justify the decline. It’s apparent we’ve lowered our standards.
You're moving the goal posts. You said BC has "never" been relevant. I just responded by telling you that isn't the case, which it isn't. That's it, nothing more.

For me, UNC is the best choice, then Kansas. Don't want to see Kansas win again and the championship will make Big 12 the best conference this year. We want ACC the best conference this year. That makes UNC is the best of four bad choices.
Ya maybe Hubert Davis is likeable but I still don't like UNC.

Actually you have raised your standards. This thread is ostensibly about the Final Four. When Jay Wright’s name came up the lament started about how he is in the FF and it just proves how bad we suck. The ten years decline you’re upset about contains as many, or more, Final Fours than any other ten year span in the program’s history. So you are saying FF’s are of paramount importance while also saying ours don’t count.

For the 18th time, everyone understands you are unhappy. We get it. You can stop whining about it now. And you can stop acting like anyone else who isn’t having an emotional meltdown has “lowered their standards” as if our standards have any effect whatsoever on the the performance of the program.

Actually you have raised your standards. This thread is ostensibly about the Final Four. When Jay Wright’s name came up the lament started about how he is in the FF and it just proves how bad we suck. The ten years decline you’re upset about contains as many, or more, Final Fours than any other ten year span in the program’s history. So you are saying FF’s are of paramount importance while also saying ours don’t count.

For the 18th time, everyone understands you are unhappy. We get it. You can stop whining about it now. And you can stop acting like anyone else who isn’t having an emotional meltdown has “lowered their standards” as if our standards have any effect whatsoever on the the performance of the program.
I almost wish we didn’t make the FF in 2016 so the countless posters here couldn’t point to that as the reason everything else is acceptable and are willing to tolerate our descent into mediocrity.

It was an outlier. I want the program back to being consistently in the Top Ten, having a top 4 seed in the NCAA and making deep runs, including Final Fours and winning National Championships.

People here are too willing to accept what we have become. I’m not.

Most of Jay Wright's team comes from within an hour's drive of the campus. He has one guy from VA and the rest of the team is basically Philly metro.

BC had a nice seven year stretch between 2001 and 2007. They even got as high as #3 in the AP poll one time which is hard to believe. They made the the tournament in 2009, and then rapidly collapsed... they never even hit mediocrity... they went from fairly good program for a stretch to perennially awful with no in between.

1648439546422.png

I don't think we are on life support per se. But we are certainly in danger of not being able to get back to the sustained standards we once had due to our brand equity slowly declining year by year.

We have certainly hit the point where sustained stretches of excellence from 1986-1991 or from 2009-2014 are going to be difficult to return to. Even in the period of 1992-2009 we seemed to be a consistent #4 to #6 seed (most of the time) even if we were never really top 10. (2003 being a bit of an exception)

I can't root for Nova, or Duke. Especially Nova for some reason. Another title for them would really irk me. Kansas would bother me too. Tough to say that UNC is probably my best bet to root for.

Good god I can’t believe people here are actually trying to build up BC. How far have the fans around here sunk? Most here are grasping at straws trying to justify the decline. R

They‘re not building up BC. They’re debating the definition of “life support.” Both are ridiculous pursuits, though. You’re prolly actually all on the same page, if you could get past the vague and hyperbolic use of that expression.

Definitely want Duke to lose. While I generally like and respect Nova/Wright I do not want them to win another title. If SU wants to lay claim to the best Northeastern team we cannot fall further behind Nova and UConn in titles. So either Kansas or UNC. UNC is better for the conference so I guess I am pulling for them.

This year I felt that things were wide open. There weren't dominate teams. Yet we are getting a 1 seed, two 2 seeds, and a blue blood. I was expecting a 3-6 seed (10-25 type team) to make it through.

They‘re not building up BC. They’re debating the definition of “life support.” Both are ridiculous pursuits, though. You’re prolly actually all on the same page, if you could get past the vague and hyperbolic use of that expression.
We’re not all on the same page. Too many folks here are willing to accept being a meddling, mediocre program that struggles through the regular season, is consistently on the bubble all because we managed to pull out two final fours and a couple of Sweet 16 runs over that time span. Meanwhile teams like UNC, Duke, Kansas and Nova have all had success in the tournament (exceeded our performances), while also exceeding our regular season and conference performances. These are programs that used to be our peers on an elite level. One could argue we were a bit behind KU, Duke and UNC, but we were almost always ahead of Nova. We are far behind all of those programs right now.

And we have some here that are willing to lower the bar of what our program should be by bringing in BC as a comparison.

Our program is on life support from being a elite college basketball program. It’s apparent far too many here are willing to accept our fall from the elite. They’ve tolerated and even supported JB’s decline in performance because he managed to pull a few rabbits out of his hat over the last 9 years.

JB won’t get back to another FF. We won’t be elite again until a change is made.

Zero winners in this Final Four. Just reinforces that Syracuse basketball is falling from its place that used to be with the elites. Nova has replaced us as the best program in the Northeast (they replaced us 4 years ago, this just solidifies it).

We won’t get back to the elite level until changes are made. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is Nova basically fell to a point of being irrelevant and were able to revive their program through the hard work and talent of Jay Wright, and they’re doing it with far inferior facilities. We could (should?) bounce back quickly with the right coaching hire.

It’s clear our program is on life support. Desperately needs a new direction. A decade of mediocrity and decline is enough.

We cannot return to being the beast of the east when we are in a se oriented conference. NE basketball is a brand that we are no longer part of. The ACC hurts our recruiting.

If I were the ACC I'd try to get Nova to go D1 football, scoop them up and create a true ACC NE basketball division. Need to weaken the BE. Money talks.

We cannot return to being the beast of the east when we are in a se oriented conference. NE basketball is a brand that we are no longer part of. The ACC hurts our recruiting.

If I were the ACC I'd try to get Nova to go D1 football, scoop them up and create a true ACC NE basketball division. Need to weaken the BE. Money talks.
Our recruiting hurts because the HC doesn't put in the effort he did 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years ago. Period.

We’re not all on the same page. Too many folks here are willing to accept being a meddling, mediocre program that struggles through the regular season, is consistently on the bubble all because we managed to pull out two final fours and a couple of Sweet 16 runs over that time span. Meanwhile teams like UNC, Duke, Kansas and Nova have all had success in the tournament (exceeded our performances), while also exceeding our regular season and conference performances. These are programs that used to be our peers on an elite level. One could argue we were a bit behind KU, Duke and UNC, but we were almost always ahead of Nova. We are far behind all of those programs right now.

And we have some here that are willing to lower the bar of what our program should be by bringing in BC as a comparison.

Our program is on life support from being a elite college basketball program. It’s apparent far too many here are willing to accept our fall from the elite. They’ve tolerated and even supported JB’s decline in performance because he managed to pull a few rabbits out of his hat over the last 9 years.

JB won’t get back to another FF. We won’t be elite again until a change is made.

In terms of historical performance IMO we are behind UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Indiana, UConn, Kansas, Louisville, Nova, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida. And the gap is widening. Then we have teams like Arkansas, Arizona, Wisconsin right on our tail. It wouldn't take much for us to fall outside of the Sweet 16 of historical programs.

Not really. You're creating an argument that doesn't exist and not reading posts as they are written.

I'm not happy with the mediocrity or JB, but life support is too far and not accurate. You're backed into your opinion and won't listen to anyone else. I say it takes one year to turn around a basketball program and you got snarky and didn't want to hear it.

Nobody is lowering the bar to BC.

Most people realize that things probably won't turn around until JB retires.

Not really. You're creating an argument that doesn't exist and not reading posts as they are written.

I'm not happy with the mediocrity or JB, but life support is too far and not accurate. You're backed into your opinion and won't listen to anyone else. I say it takes one year to turn around a basketball program and you got snarky and didn't want to hear it.

Nobody is lowering the bar to BC.

Most people realize that things probably won't turn around until JB retires.
Thanks for telling me what I think.

SMH

You're moving the goal posts. You said BC has "never" been relevant. I just responded by telling you that isn't the case, which it isn't. That's it, nothing more.
BC has never been an elite program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom