I feel ashamed today | Syracusefan.com

I feel ashamed today

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
Last night was the first time in my (short) life that I've ever done the following 2 things.

1) Left during the 2nd quarter to go to the bathroom when I could have held it until halftime. In the time that I walked in, p!ssed, and came out S Fla had already scored. So I said, "screw it I'm going to stop and get some food and a drink too".

2) Left before the game was over. Never done this even during the GRob era. I was ready to leave during the 3rd Quarter but the offense tempted me to stay by marching down the field and flirting with the end zone - a couple times.

--> Like OrangeNauburn stated in his thread, I'm spent too. I'm not saying Marrone won't be successful but I'm sick of watching conservative over thinking football on offense and then overly aggressive stupid football on the other side. This is the first weekend that I'm more excited to watch other college football games and my Chicago Bears play then SU football. That sucks! Big time.

If you have an offensive plan then let's freakin' see it already. I understand some of the conservative play in some games when Nassib can't get the ball with 5 yards of the receiver, or the receiver can't catch the ball, or run the right route. But your not going to win going 3 and out either. So run what you want to run.

What was also very unfortunate and disappointing was watching the ESPN cameras continuously pan the somber crowd in the 2nd half and commenting how the crowd was just waiting for something positive to happen...this did not look good on national TV...

I hate to say it but I was so frustrated by the 2nd half I was just sitting there in my seat. Many times covering my face with dropped TD passes. I did get up and make noise on some 3rd downs but man, I'm telling you it was really hard to pull myself out of my seat. I'm usually up every 3rd down making noise, in the very least but I just couldn't muster the energy. I feel drained by this year.

Last night was the first time in my (short) life that I've ever done the following 2 things.

1) Left during the 2nd quarter to go to the bathroom when I could have held it until halftime. In the time that I walked in, p!ssed, and came out S Fla had already scored. So I said, "screw it I'm going to stop and get some food and a drink too".

2) Left before the game was over. Never done this even during the GRob era. I was ready to leave during the 3rd Quarter but the offense tempted me to stay by marching down the field and flirting with the end zone - a couple times.

--> Like OrangeNauburn stated in his thread, I'm spent too. I'm not saying Marrone won't be successful but I'm sick of watching conservative over thinking football on offense and then overly aggressive stupid football on the other side. This is the first weekend that I'm more excited to watch other college football games and my Chicago Bears play then SU football. That sucks! Big time.

If you have an offensive plan then let's freakin' see it already. I understand some of the conservative play in some games when Nassib can't get the ball with 5 yards of the receiver, or the receiver can't catch the ball, or run the right route. But your not going to win going 3 and out either. So run what you want to run.
I think there's one of two ways this can go.

One, you can support the team all out through thick and thin. The Saltine Warrior knows they need it.

Two, loss of interest by the fans is a great way to encourage change because it communicates a clear message to the university that the fan is not satisfied. That communication could make things better.

I don't think you should feel ashamed. You're a paying customer. Your obligation ended once cash exchanged hands. The program's obligation began once cash exchanged hands. They didn't meet expectations. They should be ashamed.

It's normal to feel bad after your team loses. Losing sucks.,
but you have to put things into their proper perspective.

There are bigger tragedies in life.

It's normal to feel bad after your team loses. Losing sucks.,
but you have to put things into their proper perspective.

There are bigger tragedies in life.

Do you bike?

Loss of interest by the fans is a great way to encourage change because it communicates a clear message to the university that the fan is not satisfied. That communication could make things better.

This is a risky approach, if the thought by a fan choosing to not attend is that it's creating an incentive for the school to make improvements. It may actually be doing the exact opposite.

One of the buzzwords from when Miami left for the ACC was revenue certainty. They could project what their revenues would be next year...and five years from now...and ten years from now. It made it a lot easier to justify long-term expenses like coaching contracts, because they knew the revenues would be there to support it. This is much more critical at a private university like Syracuse or Miami than it is at a public university.

If we've got a fan bases with erratic attendance patterns, Syracuse needs to eliminate as much risk as possible from their budgeting process. The best way to do that is assume low attendance will be the norm, and pocket the additional revenue if there's a good run where those expectations are exceeded. So by voting with your wallet and not going to games, it may mean that Syracuse believes the best course of action is to cut expenses, pocket the ACC money, and accept that Syracuse will typically be 3-9 or 4-8. But, they'll be in the black doing so.

If people choose to not go because it's not the best way to spend their entertainment dollars today, so be it. Games like yesterday are unwatchable, so it's a reasonable decision. If fans want to paint themselves as heroes sending a message to the university so that they know they need to make the product better, those fans should know there's a chance it will actually do the opposite. How likely my senario is can be debated, but if I were running the university my biggest concern is keeping in the black, so I'd be having discussions about managing football expenses and accepting the consequences already.

This is a risky approach, if the thought by a fan choosing to not attend is that it's creating an incentive for the school to make improvements. It may actually be doing the exact opposite.

One of the buzzwords from when Miami left for the ACC was revenue certainty. They could project what their revenues would be next year...and five years from now...and ten years from now. It made it a lot easier to justify long-term expenses like coaching contracts, because they knew the revenues would be there to support it. This is much more critical at a private university like Syracuse or Miami than it is at a public university.

If we've got a fan bases with erratic attendance patterns, Syracuse needs to eliminate as much risk as possible from their budgeting process. The best way to do that is assume low attendance will be the norm, and pocket the additional revenue if there's a good run where those expectations are exceeded. So by voting with your wallet and not going to games, it may mean that Syracuse believes the best course of action is to cut expenses, pocket the ACC money, and accept that Syracuse will typically be 3-9 or 4-8. But, they'll be in the black doing so.

If people choose to not go because it's not the best way to spend their entertainment dollars today, so be it. Games like yesterday are unwatchable, so it's a reasonable decision. If fans want to paint themselves as heroes sending a message to the university so that they know they need to make the product better, those fans should know there's a chance it will actually do the opposite. How likely my senario is can be debated, but if I were running the university my biggest concern is keeping in the black, so I'd be having discussions about managing football expenses and accepting the consequences already.
This is a stellar post and an awesome argument against doing what I posted.

I'm spent too. I'm not saying Marrone won't be successful but I'm sick of watching conservative over thinking football on offense and then overly aggressive stupid football on the other side.

To me, this statement perfectly summarizes what i feel watching this team play.

The offense is brutal to watch the (at least) 1st 20 minutes of every game. Run, run, pass /playing not to lose is tough. We only wake up and try to score after we're losing. Then we do pass, pass, pass. Not sure why there can't be a happy medium.

Nice post. I agree completely and share your concerns on this.

I agree w qdawg- by the second half, I had become very ho-hum about the whole thing. Friends who are fans of other programs were texting me about how horrible the team is to watch. I fell asleep on the couch during the 4th quarter.

It's hard enough to watch your team lose, even more to watch them the bed in all aspects of the game. They are bad in every single category at the moment, and it's exhausting for me. Offensive line, RB, WR, QB, DL, LB, DB, punting, punt RETURNS, kickoffs, KO returns (maybe not all that bad on KO returns- but not spectacular, either), and coaching. This team just seems to lack passion and intensity- my response to texts coming in was that they seem to be just rolling over at this point.

At the beginning of the year, I felt 6-6 would be ok for this team, considering the losses from last year's roster. I also felt like the team's youth would mean we'd see some improvement as the season progressed. Instead, it seems to be the opposite; we're playing with less passion now than a month ago.

Hoping the bye week helps. 2 years ago we came off of 3-straight losses, including a mind-numbing game at Louisville, and pasted a ranked Rutgers team.

If we pull off a good win in the next few weeks, I'll feel a little better. I don't mind giving Marrone 5-6 years to get to a point where >7-8 wins is standard, but it's tough to watch the backslide.

I hate to say it but I was so frustrated by the 2nd half I was just sitting there in my seat. Many times covering my face with dropped TD passes. I did get up and make noise on some 3rd downs but man, I'm telling you it was really hard to pull myself out of my seat. I'm usually up every 3rd down making noise, in the very least but I just couldn't muster the energy. I feel drained by this year.

I couldve written this post verbatim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom