I feel sorry for Mahoney! | Syracusefan.com

I feel sorry for Mahoney!

IDOC

Scout Team
Totally let down by our defense and he played a good game. I am just a season ticket holder but this far into the season we should not see these things: players looking at the defense coaches for guidance as the ball was hiked, obvious confusion for all of the second half with players wondering around trying to find out where they should be and zero pressure on their quarterback. We were out played and out coached but,”hope springs eternal”.

Mahoney is like a golfer that hits a 68 and the other guy hits a 67. Can only do what you can do.

That said, he has to hit the receivers while in stride and his almost 30 incompletions kept the game clock stopped and forced the D to get out there quicker than they should have.

As well as he played in the first half, he went 11-25 in the second. He didn't do the offense any favors himself. He didn't go through his progressions and it cost them on two interceptions. On the first INT, he had a man wide open for a touchdown.

The tale of two halves.

I'm a Mahoney fan, was bashed here pretty hard for even suggesting early in the season that the gap between Dungey and ZM wasn't nearly as vast as the perception.

However, he was bad in the 2nd half. Maybe that's a result of rarely playing (dead arm?). So even though 43 points should be enough to win every game and the D failed, Mahoney's performance in the second half was extremely disappointing.

He played great in the first half, not so much in the 2nd half.

Mahoney has and always will be limited by his wild inconsistency. We had this discussion about backups and QB depth chart prior to the season and one point I tried to make resonate was that Mahoney looks decent to good when you look at a stat sheet but from one quarter to the next, or series to the next, he looks night and day. We saw it against Wake. One drive, underthrowing everything. Next drive, sharp. Comes out after half, throwing behind, over or through people.

This game was shaping up to be a shootout from the first whistle and our defense really struggled with an up tempo, hurry up offense similar to ours. This is one where the offense had to keep going and had to keep up the pressure by driving and scoring and it just didn't happen.

And Mahoney's inconsistency was a big part of that.

He played an abysmal 2nd half. Numerous opportunities missed. Multiple terrible throws. No other way to describe it. I'm certain he gave it his all though and I'll always root for him.

I think in general there is this romantic concept that due to him being a backup and former walk-on, the expectations should be less than say on Dungey. So when he puts up a bunch of yards and TD's and we still lose, it's someone else's fault because we shouldn't expect Mahoney to be the one to carry the team.

Last edited:
As well as he played in the first half, he went 11-25 in the second. He didn't do the offense any favors himself. He didn't go through his progressions and it cost them on two interceptions. On the first INT, he had a man wide open for a touchdown.

I'm not sure it's that easy to determine what the progressions are for the average Joe seating in the seats or listening to color commentary (not aimed at you per se).

I'm pretty sure on the first INT Mahoney was trying to throw to the guy running wide open. The throw was that far off.

The tale of two halves.

I'm a Mahoney fan, was bashed here pretty hard for even suggesting early in the season that the gap between Dungey and ZM wasn't nearly as vast as the perception.

However, he was bad in the 2nd half. Maybe that's a result of rarely playing (dead arm?). So even though 43 points should be enough to win every game and the D failed, Mahoney's performance in the second half was extremely disappointing.

Its also a result of feeling like you have to score a td on every possession bc your D is a turnstile. Also, the play calls didn't help as wake just started jumping the 5 yard out patterns we ran all night!! Again, crickets in the middle of the field. And to think, the week ward gets nominated for some coordinator award he gets lit up like xmas in November.

The tale of two halves.

Aye , for whatever reason Mahoney's throws were really bad in the second half , especially in the 4th Q when the game was decided.

I don't see the point in playing Mahoney ever. All you need to do is look at his gamelog: in the three years
he's been at Cuse, he has won exactly two games (and I wouldn't count a game with Colgate as needing him
to perform) in which he has accumulated appreciable statistics. Granted, Dungey's injuries and games missed
have led to him playing against much better teams, but Mahoney's sole winning performance was Shafer's last
game against BC. He might be the backup, but he hardly gives SU a chance to win.

Kev

if the D shows up we score 60 yesterday and we are still bashing that job he did.. I do agree that better QB play we probably score 75 as many chances as Wake gave us but still 45 should have been enough.

Totally let down by our defense and he played a good game. I am just a season ticket holder but this far into the season we should not see these things: players looking at the defense coaches for guidance as the ball was hiked, obvious confusion for all of the second half with players wondering around trying to find out where they should be and zero pressure on their quarterback. We were out played and out coached but,”hope springs eternal”.
Mahoney played a good half.

I don't see the point in playing Mahoney ever. All you need to do is look at his gamelog: in the three years
he's been at Cuse, he has won exactly two games (and I wouldn't count a game with Colgate as needing him
to perform) in which he has accumulated appreciable statistics. Granted, Dungey's injuries and games missed
have led to him playing against much better teams, but Mahoney's sole winning performance was Shafer's last
game against BC. He might be the backup, but he hardly gives SU a chance to win.

Kev

Have you actually looked at the specific games/opponents he has played? In 2015 he went up against a Top 10 LSU team in his first ever game action and took them deep into the 4th quarter. Later that season he started against #1 Clemson and again took them deep into the 4th quarter. Last year against Pitt he put up 61 points.

Have you actually looked at the specific games/opponents he has played? In 2015 he went up against a Top 10 LSU team in his first ever game action and took them deep into the 4th quarter. Later that season he started against #1 Clemson and again took them deep into the 4th quarter. Last year against Pitt he put up 61 points.
The only problem he had was his arm got tired,The Defense and the coordinator lost this game ,after Wake ran the same play about 20 times you'd think they would put a spy on the QB ..A terrible Defensive performance...

He was ok. Will never get the overhyping he gets by some fans. Yesterday showed just how much we need Dungey. We score 70 with him yesterday.

Wake's staff made some adjustments that played into Mahoney's weaknesses. There are other reasons as to why the O struggled in the 2nd half. Wake's coaches get paid too.

Zack Mahoney 2017 NCAA FB Game Log

Qbr is 118.6* for Wake. Kid played his heart out. Sorry. Anytime you are asking your offense to put up 50+ for a chance, it's not on them.

I don't care if ED, TD, or Donovan freakin' McNabb played. If they weren't playing all 11 spots on D, and coming up with the game plan? The same result would have been deserved. Just one of those games, for a D that has been Rock solid all year. It happens.

Can you imagine if TD's shirt had been burned for this? Thank goodness, no.

I'm not giving up hope, that the D bounces back, or if Mahoney is slinging the ball.

*Higher than ED vs, MTSU, LSU, MIA, 1pt behind FSU

Last edited:
Mahoney is like a golfer that hits a 68 and the other guy hits a 67. Can only do what you can do.

That said, he has to hit the receivers while in stride and his almost 30 incompletions kept the game clock stopped and forced the D to get out there quicker than they should have.
mahoney is the opposite of me shooting a 50 on the front and a 36 on the back.