I feeling optimistic, I apologize in advance... | Syracusefan.com

I feeling optimistic, I apologize in advance...

Orangemen

All Conference
This may be crazy, but I see a path that may lead this team to the NCAA tourney. Given that Clemson is apparently not terrible, that loss sort of alters my impression of what this team may be (and makes that loss all the more awful because it may have possibly been a good win for this team).

Looking at the schedule ahead we have-

@WF- could go either way

@Duke- loss

@ Virginia- loss

ND- win

GT- win

VPI- win

FSU- win

@BC- win

@Louisville- loss

Pitt- could go either way

NCSU- win

@UNC- loss

@FSU- loss

If we win the WF and Pitt games, that gets us to 9-9 in conf and 19-12 on the year. With JB on the bench we would be 15-7, with good wins over UConn, TAM, and Pitt. If we can pick up that ever elusive first ACCT win, our case would get a little better.

Not saying that we can definitely win every game I labeled up there as a win or either way, but it’s definitely possible.

We will still have at least one big win. I never count on beating Pitt, so scratch that one, but we will have a crazy hot shooting night and beat Duke or Louisville or somebody. We know it is possible for us to get hot in a short period and win a tournament. This team looks like 2006 where we could be mediocre and then get hot at the right time and win the ACCT.

The loss at home to a poor Wisconsin team and a loss at MSG, our 2nd home, to a TERRIBLE St. John's team really hurts the SU resume. Our terrible loss to Clemson hurts too. Only true positives were wins against UConn and Texas A&M. Playing good teams well for 35 minutes does not count. Every team in the ACC has show flaws this year. UNC and Duke are obviously still the best with UVA right behind them. After that it's anybody's guess as to which teams will finish in the top half of the ACC. The game away at Wake Forest is really a huge game for SU.

The loss at home to a poor Wisconsin team and a loss at MSG, our 2nd home, to a TERRIBLE St. John's team really hurts the SU resume. Our terrible loss to Clemson hurts too. Only true positives were wins against UConn and Texas A&M. Playing good teams well for 35 minutes does not count. Every team in the ACC has show flaws this year. UNC and Duke are obviously still the best with UVA right behind them. After that it's anybody's guess as to which teams will finish in the top half of the ACC. The game away at Wake Forest is really a huge game for SU.

The loss to Clemson wasn't terrible in terms of quality. They just beat Duke at home. That one was terrible in that we had in our hands and it would have been a good line item on the resume.

The loss to Clemson wasn't terrible in terms of quality. They just beat Duke at home. That one was terrible in that we had in our hands and it would have been a good line item on the resume.
I agree. That's what I meant.

I think 10-8 in the ACC gets us in the NCAAT, especially if we can get a win or two in the ACCT.

9-9 puts us squarely on the bubble and will probably require two ACCT wins.

So, can we finish out the ACC schedule with no more than 5 losses? I think it's doable. We have to beat the teams we're supposed to though. There can be absolutely no more losses to unranked ACC teams.

The committee is going to discount the losses under Hop.

Not to be snarky, but how could you possibly know this?
The NCAA dude said this. There was a thread about it last week. They said they'd take into consideration the fact that JB was not coaching as they do when a player misses games for injuries, etc.

Fair enough -- sounds good to me. It's counter-intuitive that the NCAA would try to soften the blow of a punishment that they themselves laid down, but then again, they often don't make sense.
Adding to that... words and actions are very different

Cusefan0307 said:
I still think we win at least one game nobody expects us to win.

We always do.

Good thread...I feel optimistic as well. DC is making strides, TR is gaining traction. I think a realistic goal is 9-9 in conference. If we can snag some big scalps along the way, and we have lots of opportunities, then we will get in the big dance.

But unfortunately this year that could apply to like Virginia Tech. I kid.
I know you kid, but after watching them beat Wake last night (and uva last week) Buzz has himself a good team - not sure they're a tourney team yet but they're certainly not an ACC cellar team anymore

i think 9 wins is the max for this team, which would leave us right on the bubble, which ill gladly take right now. we simply cant lose another home game. all our home games the rest of the way are winnable.

notre dame
georgia tech
virginia tech
florida st
pitt
nc state

if we can run the table at home (possible but not likely) that gets us to 7 acc wins. lets give automatic losses to road games at duke, virginia, louisville and north carolina. i just dont see this team going into any of those enviornments and winning. that means we'd need to win 2 of these 3 road games to get to 9 acc wins: wake, boston college, florida st.

not impossible to get to 9-9, but i think 7-11 or 8-10 is more realistic. that clemson loss is a killer.

1st off - we arent as bad as our record indicates. We can win any game on our schedule.
2nd - evidence has shown we arent a good rebounding team, shooting team of late, or finishing a game team
3rd - its going to take a lot more than 9-9 and 1-1 in the ACCT at 20-13 to make the tourney. we need to win every "should win" or "could go either way" left and sneak in a few "shouldnt wins"

we are currently way on the outside looking in right now.

i think 9 wins is the max for this team, which would leave us right on the bubble, which ill gladly take right now. we simply cant lose another home game. all our home games the rest of the way are winnable.

notre dame
georgia tech
virginia tech
florida st
pitt
nc state

if we can run the table at home (possible but not likely) that gets us to 7 acc wins. lets give automatic losses to road games at duke, virginia, louisville and north carolina. i just dont see this team going into any of those enviornments and winning. that means we'd need to win 2 of these 3 road games to get to 9 acc wins: wake, boston college, florida st.

not impossible to get to 9-9, but i think 7-11 or 8-10 is more realistic. that clemson loss is a killer.

Clem and wisconsin losses are killer. We had both of those as time was winding down. if we are 14-5 we are prob firmly on the bubble maybe on the good side. Currently, though, we are on outside looking in.

20-13 probably does not get us in.

also: UVA, Duke, Ville, and UNC are not automatic losses. Expecially Ville. Plant that game on the "could go either way" list. And heck UVA too. They have Brogdon and not much else.

This may be crazy, but I see a path that may lead this team to the NCAA tourney. Given that Clemson is apparently not terrible, that loss sort of alters my impression of what this team may be (and makes that loss all the more awful because it may have possibly been a good win for this team).

Looking at the schedule ahead we have-

@WF- could go either way

@Duke- loss

@ Virginia- loss

ND- win

GT- win

VPI- win

FSU- win

@BC- win

@Louisville- loss

Pitt- could go either way

NCSU- win

@UNC- loss

@FSU- loss

If we win the WF and Pitt games, that gets us to 9-9 in conf and 19-12 on the year. With JB on the bench we would be 15-7, with good wins over UConn, TAM, and Pitt. If we can pick up that ever elusive first ACCT win, our case would get a little better.

Not saying that we can definitely win every game I labeled up there as a win or either way, but it’s definitely possible.

I don't think thats enough, our rpi is in the 80's, and we currently have one top 50 win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom