I feeling optimistic, I apologize in advance... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I feeling optimistic, I apologize in advance...

1st off - we arent as bad as our record indicates. We can win any game on our schedule.
2nd - evidence has shown we arent a good rebounding team, shooting team of late, or finishing a game team
3rd - its going to take a lot more than 9-9 and 1-1 in the ACCT at 20-13 to make the tourney. we need to win every "should win" or "could go either way" left and sneak in a few "shouldnt wins"

we are currently way on the outside looking in right now.

I like 1 and 2. I think you're wrong on 3

1st off - we arent as bad as our record indicates. We can win any game on our schedule.
2nd - evidence has shown we arent a good rebounding team, shooting team of late, or finishing a game team
3rd - its going to take a lot more than 9-9 and 1-1 in the ACCT at 20-13 to make the tourney. we need to win every "should win" or "could go either way" left and sneak in a few "shouldnt wins"

we are currently way on the outside looking in right now.

i dont think it would take alot more than 9-9 IF the committee takes no boeheim into consideration. thats the big x factor here. 9-9 in acc would mean 0-3 without boeheim, 9-6 with boeheim. 3 games over .500 in the acc is definitely tournament worthy when you combine them with the wins over uconn and a&m. the awful st johns loss was without boeheim also. just depends on how the committee grades us IF we get to 9 wins. anything under 9 and its over johnny.

Give the RPI some time to catchup and be less sucky at what it already sucks at.

If we win the games the op suggested, the rpi isn't going to change much. Its not like you can just go from 83 to 40 like that.

i dont think it would take alot more than 9-9 IF the committee takes no boeheim into consideration. thats the big x factor here.

very true. I have ZERO faith in that actually happening, though.

Imagine the media reaction if the committee chair actually says that in the interview about bubble teams on CBS at the end of selection show?

"head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting"

Our fan favorite (because he uses common sense) Jay Bilas would have a field day if the NCAA discounts the 9 game stretch from our "head coach in waiting"

Clem and wisconsin losses are killer. We had both of those as time was winding down. if we are 14-5 we are prob firmly on the bubble maybe on the good side. Currently, though, we are on outside looking in.

20-13 probably does not get us in.

also: UVA, Duke, Ville, and UNC are not automatic losses. Expecially Ville. Plant that game on the "could go either way" list. And heck UVA too. They have Brogdon and not much else.

NC State got in last season with just 20 wins and some really bad losses. They beat L'ville, Duke, and UNC, which was no easy task, but we could also pull off an upset or two to go with our UConn and Texas A&M wins.

NC State got in last season with just 20 wins and some really bad losses. They beat L'ville, Duke, and UNC, which was no easy task, but we could also pull off an upset or two to go with our UConn and Texas A&M wins.

We need to beat one of the big boys and then beat Pitt at home, right now A&M is our only top 50 win.

very true. I have ZERO faith in that actually happening, though.

Imagine the media reaction if the committee chair actually says that in the interview about bubble teams on CBS at the end of selection show?

"head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting" "head coach in waiting"

Our fan favorite (because he uses common sense) Jay Bilas would have a field day if the NCAA discounts the 9 game stretch from our "head coach in waiting"

I don't know why it's so unbelievable. The NCAA committee couldn't give a rat's a$$ about the reason for the suspension, so they're not going to penalize SU for it because it was a punishment. They have no dog in that fight. And it is just logical to treat it like a key player being out. I don't think it's going to be a gigantic factor, but it will win us some tie breakers if we finish the season strong.

@lville and @unc... if we can get our RPI into top 40 and SOS at 9, it would look a lot better. But i dont think we will winning the games that were described to get to 20-13.

I don't know why it's so unbelievable. The NCAA committee couldn't give a rat's a$$ about the reason for the suspension, so they're not going to penalize SU for it because it was a punishment. They have no dog in that fight. And it is just logical to treat it like a key player being out. I don't think it's going to be a gigantic factor, but it will win us some tie breakers if we finish the season strong.

i dont get your post. My post had nothing to do with the reason for the suspension.

@lville and @unc... if we can get our RPI into top 40 and SOS at 9, it would look a lot better. But i dont think we will winning the games that were described to get to 20-13.

I don't think we need to. If the team wins the games it's supposed to and upsets just one ranked team on the road, that should be enough.

i dont get your post. My post had nothing to do with the reason for the suspension.

I know; I was covering my bases. There are two points that have been made as to why the committee wouldn't do what the chairperson said. 1) They would feel some form of loyalty to the NCAA and not discount the losses because the suspension was handed down by the NCAA. 2) They won't discount the losses because they're just douches.

2 is probably more likely than 1, but I don't think either is likely.

I know; I was covering my bases. There are two points that have been made as to why the committee wouldn't do what the chairperson said. 1) They would feel some form of loyalty to the NCAA and not discount the losses because the suspension was handed down by the NCAA. 2) They won't discount the losses because they're just douches.

2 is probably more likely than 1, but I don't think either is likely.

what i meant by my post... is that they are discounting the losses that our designated "coach in waiting" coached. Its not like our 6th man went down. Or even Chino. Its our next head coach, who we selected long before any change happens to lock him in, that coached the games.

I totally understand there is a difference b/w JB and MH - but he is our head coach in waiting for Christ sake.

what i meant by my post... is that they are discounting the losses that our designated "coach in waiting" coached. Its not like our 6th man went down. Or even Chino. Its our next head coach, who we selected long before any change happens to lock him in, that coached the games.

I totally understand there is a difference b/w JB and MH - but he is our head coach in waiting for Christ sake.

I knew what you were saying. I'm saying they're still looking at it like we lost a key player. I doubt they're going to consider a young 'coach in waiting' to be anywhere near the caliber of a hall of famer who's been coaching longer than some of the members of the committee have been alive. Hop isn't the leader and this isn't his team. The committee will recongize that, I think.

Coach in Waiting doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. The team was having a very successful season before Hop took over. If they're successful in the post-suspension stretch to finish the season, the committee doesn't really have much of a choice other than to attribute those losses to JB being out.

If we win the games the op suggested, the rpi isn't going to change much. Its not like you can just go from 83 to 40 like that.

I wouldn't be surpised if you could though. The RPI is poop.

The RPI should always be taken with a grain of salt, and is but one small metric (supposedly, anyway) the committee refers to... that said, the RPI a month from now will be much closer to "real" and then a month after that it will be pretty much in line. If you peruse it right now, it takes just a little common sense to see bad teams ranked ridiculously high and good teams down in the 100s still. It's foolish look for any validity in it right now.

Cusefan0307 said:
I still think we win at least one game nobody expects us to win.
The problem is we will also lose 3 more games nobody expects us to lose

Go find another team to root for, h8r. Such a sad sally.

You hate syracuse.
tumblr_ml7i4s8vxf1s84fcqo1_400.gif

Fair enough -- sounds good to me. It's counter-intuitive that the NCAA would try to soften the blow of a punishment that they themselves laid down, but then again, they often don't make sense.
I said the same thing in the thread we had about it.

The NCAA dude said this. There was a thread about it last week. They said they'd take into consideration the fact that JB was not coaching as they do when a player misses games for injuries, etc.
They can say anything on the subject. How they actually factor it into the equation remains to be seen. I have my doubts it will impact anything they do in the end.

They can say anything on the subject. How they actually factor it into the equation remains to be seen. I have my doubts it will impact anything they do in the end.
I think if we show marked improvement with JB on the bench we will get some extra credit if we are on the bubble. In order for us to get on the bubble, we will need to play markedly better so the two work together.

I think if we show marked improvement with JB on the bench we will get some extra credit if we are on the bubble. In order for us to get on the bubble, we will need to play markedly better so the two work together.
But can't you just hear the selection committee chair fielding a question about this after Syracuse is left out of the field and saying "yes, we factored it in, but in the end felt their overall resume did not stack up with the at-large teams we selected."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom