I for one am glad we gave Thompson the time he needed | Syracusefan.com

I for one am glad we gave Thompson the time he needed

I'm looking forward to his development. We all knew what he could do on offense, but defense was the question. It looks like his D is picking up finally. If he can keep it up (not to oversell it), we might have just found the big man scoring threat and 'energy guy' that we've been missing.

I loved what I saw from him today, but most of what he did is not what we need in big games. The jumpers look great when they go in, but we have guys who can make jumpers. Against the really good defenses, they weren't there for him. We need him getting paint points in my opinion. Roberson, Coleman, and Thompson shooting 10+ jumpers a game combined is not a successful formula in my opinion. The need to figure out how to get these guys dunks, not 12 - 15 jump shots.

It was only 1 game, but really like TT's mid range shooting ability. And loved the high post game they played esp in first half where guards fed TT in the middle and he hit the mid range J. That opens the floor up where he can shoot, dish low, or kick out for 3.

SU still took a lot of 3s, but also had some nice passing, not just around the horn up top all game.

Bottom line, it really helps when the players can hit shots. Now, they need to do it against stiff competition. At least it gives them some confidence back.

I loved what I saw from him today, but most of what he did is not what we need in big games. The jumpers look great when they go in, but we have guys who can make jumpers. Against the really good defenses, they weren't there for him. We need him getting paint points in my opinion. Roberson, Coleman, and Thompson shooting 10+ jumpers a game combined is not a successful formula in my opinion. The need to figure out how to get these guys dunks, not 12 - 15 jump shots.
generraly agree w your post but it wasn't just perimeter stuff from him today - had a couple of strong inside baskets and a few strong defensive plays - I really think it's coming together for him...
it might be a bit of hyperbole after his game today but I honestly look at him right now as a very similar player as McCollough two years ago - and maybe even a better all around player than Chris was

He certainly gives us a nice option vs a zone. He's very comfortable at the high post. I wouldnt expect this kind of performance against good man defenses.

It's nice to have options however.

The top of our zone is soooo bad though...and even when they steals...I have no confidence in any of our guards on the break.

Not. A One.

TT has shown he can make a good % of these 12-15 foot jumpers so I want to see him keep taking them. It will help keep the opposing D off balance.

He certainly gives us a nice option vs a zone. He's very comfortable at the high post. I wouldnt expect this kind of performance against good man defenses.

The top of our zone is soooo bad though...and even when they steals...I have no confidence in any of our guards on the break.

Not. A One.
I don't know, the zone certainly wasn't consistently good throughout the whole game but in that span from late 1st half thru mid 2nd half it was very good - much more active both up top and at the basket challenging shots - I'm confident it will at least get to be "effective enough" against good teams

generraly agree w your post but it wasn't just perimeter stuff from him today - had a couple of strong inside baskets and a few strong defensive plays - I really think it's coming together for him...
it might be a bit of hyperbole after his game today but I honestly look at him right now as a very similar player as McCollough two years ago - and maybe even a better all around player than Chris was

That's why I added the disclaimer of "most of" because his inside play was nice too. He was active inside when the game was close and plays like taking the feed from Gillon and moving straight to dunk it is great. Those are the plays he needs to make right now.

Not. A One.

Agree about TT. I strongly believe one of the keys to the season is going to be his continued development, especially at the high post.

Anyone waiting for the "light to go" with respect to a fast break offense is going to be disappointed I'm afraid.

it's hard to play constantly looking over your shoulder. we do have really good players. not's not an issue. let's give these guys a little free rein .

Not. A One.

Great point. Really makes you appreciate how great G was last year on the fast break, and even Cooney for that matter.

I thought Tyus would be a killer on the fast break, he's not there yet though.

I don't know, the zone certainly wasn't consistently good throughout the whole game but in that span from late 1st half thru mid 2nd half it was very good - much more active both up top and at the basket challenging shots - I'm confident it will at least get to be "effective enough" against good teams
Yep. There is no doubt the zone needs to get better, but I think in most games this year the zone will keep the point total of the opposing team fairly low. What's killing us more than our first shot defense is our rebounding. We had some tough bounces today, but we gotta get better there.

No, this team needs an inside threat, even if it's from mid-range. Although we think this team can make jumpers, some "reliable" guys have been missing some relatively easy shots. We need 4 guys contributing to win a game. We can't do it with only 1 or 2 guys having a good game. I welcome offense from anywhere with this team.

No, this team needs an inside threat, even if it's from mid-range. Although we think this team can make jumpers, some "reliable" guys have been missing some relatively easy shots. We need 4 guys contributing to win a game. We can't do it with only 1 or 2 guys having a good game. I welcome offense from anywhere with this team.

I don't disagree in general but the way we are rebounding we get one shot per possession and I'd rather a 15 foot jumper be taken by Lydon, White, FH, Battle, Gillon than DC, Robey, TT. Also, them being 15 feet away from the basket also means there is no chance to rebound their missed jumpers. In that light, TT shooting 40% from 15 feet is probably worse than Lydon shooting 35% from there.

I don't disagree in general but the way we are rebounding we get one shot per possession and I'd rather a 15 foot jumper be taken by Lydon, White, FH, Battle, Gillon than DC, Robey, TT. Also, them being 15 feet away from the basket also means there is no chance to rebound their missed jumpers. In that light, TT shooting 40% from 15 feet is probably worse than Lydon shooting 35% from there.

I would disagree on the rebounding point. Shooting from 10 to 15 feet away, especially if you're tall, the shooter has an advantage on the rebound. About 1/3 of the shots are going to come back toward the shooter, either off the front rim or the back rim. And the shooter is looking right at the rim. If he's not blocked out, he may actually have the best chance at the rebound.

Thompson is at least noticed on the court. We loved that shot because he made it against BU, hated when he took some earlier this year and they missed. You notice him on the floor which I can't always say for our bigs.

I would welcome the ability for somebody, anybody to make a layup. Frank and Lydon, in particular, have missed more shots within 5 feet of the hoop this year than I've ever seen any Syracuse player miss in my life. Frank is particularly bad when he manages to get by the primary defender enough to get a decent look but can't quite get all the way to the rim. He shoots something like a hybrid layup/floater, which should at least go down half the time, but he finds a way to miss it every single time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom