I for one am glad we gave Thompson the time he needed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I for one am glad we gave Thompson the time he needed

He's definitely our best freshman.

TT has a beautiful stroke for a big guy and has really been on the money with his 15 footers all season. Hopefully, he'll be around a while and we can see him really develop into an offensive monster.

Great point. Really makes you appreciate how great G was last year on the fast break, and even Cooney for that matter.

I thought Tyus would be a killer on the fast break, he's not there yet though.

I think the disappointment of the past two weeks is coloring your memory. Those two were horrible on the break. Run your defender into your teammate, shrink the floor, break the glass horrible. I can't remember players who so consistently made it easy for one defender to guard two, or for whom every non-dunk shot at the rim was such an adventure.

Some of the current players are startlingly bad at finishing, but I'm optimistic that the fundamentals are at least a little improved from last season.

For the record, I love TT.

But does anyone else get the sense that he's got some Kevin McHale-esque black hole to him?

Last edited:
Looks like TT has some Kevin Garnett nasty attitude in him. And we sure could use some of that.

Let it be known for the record I change my avatar pick before the season started!

TT hitting that 3 was sooooooo sweet!!!! Now we need Lydon to heat up and have both of them on the wings.

For the record, I love TT.

But does anyone else get the sense that he's got some Kevin McHale-esque black hole to him?

Perhaps, but - if he keeps going 10/13, who cares?
We desperately need scoring. He can do that.

I'll play the heel, I'm good at it! You knew this was coming with his meteoric rise: HE GONE!!!! (during the game when he nailed a 3, I was tempted to come here just to post that)

JB finally can Boeheim Roberson when he wishes, and has struck gold with this kid. Yeah it's early, and I dont care. I'm not sure I'm as solid as I was on Lydon when everyone else had him as last in the class, but I think I almost have that level of confidence from the eye test.

Sobecuse25 mentioned his temperment, which I am also impressed by. He doesn't seem to get excited or down, and his reactions tell me he is about business and thinking about how to improve when things dont go as planned. I think that's a HUGE part of a player's potential, his mental formulas. The guy didnt come in here sexy at all like a flashy newcomer, but looks like he has the potential to be rock solid and even play multiple positions if it were ever necessary.

If we're ever playing against the zone or if it otherwise warrants, he could be the big who hits those jump shots in the soft part of the D. Yeah I'd love to see most of his offense at the rim taking what is available, but I love what a versatil weapon JB has found himself. Use him right JB, even if it ends up getting talk of ** ****!

Perhaps, but - if he keeps going 10/13, who cares?
We desperately need scoring. He can do that.

He's not going to keep going 10-13.

When he goes 10-13 nobody cares because that's 77% from the field, many of which came on long jumpers. But when he's not shooting that well, it could be disruptive to the offensive flow. There's a fine line between gunner and taking shots within the structure of the team offense.

When he goes 10-13 nobody cares because that's 77% from the field, many of which came on long jumpers. But when he's not shooting that well, it could be disruptive to the offensive flow. There's a fine line between gunner and taking shots within the structure of the team offense.

At some point when other players step up and he'd be lower onthe radar, I could see him more naturally getting points without disrupting the flow. Maybe it's based more on hope, but I think it's fairly likely.

I think your point is both valid and good. The improvement of other players would seem to be the key ingredient to his numbers, in my opinion.

At some point when other players step up and he'd be lower onthe radar, I could see him more naturally getting points without disrupting the flow. Maybe it's based more on hope, but I think it's fairly likely.

I think your point is both valid and good. The improvement of other players would seem to be the key ingredient to his numbers, in my opinion.
look out folks, we seem to be in the midst of one of those patented CaptainJ posting binges!
;)

look out folks, we seem to be in the midst of one of those patented CaptainJ posting binges!
;)

Like a spirit getting noticed, your post may save the board from any more, or much more, anyhow...and cause me to vanish back into the ether from whence I appeared. If I could only figure out a way like the Batman Signal(tm) for the board to call upon me as needed, like having certain PRN benzodiazepines(xanax, etc) in your pocket in case the situation arises. I do feel the call to mention there was a poster whom I wish we could shine that light right now for him to return and uplift the place. I am impressed that the meltdown didnt seem to endure long, which sets the pieces in place to hopefully as a poster(not as a fan) get to say the word "meltdown" again. lol I didnt intend the poetry at the end, but I'll gladly take it.

Peace be unto the sordid lot of you.

Not sure what your definition of a long jumper is. He took 6 shots in the paint, making 5. He took another 5 shots around the elbow (which I wouldn't define as a long jumper, especially for a guy with his skill set), making 4, which is where we desperately need someone to work effectively, especially when teams zone us. He also took 2 threes, making one. JB probably doesn't want him taking many of those, but he was feeling it on both attempts, and just let them fly.

upload_2016-12-13_11-56-4.png

Not sure what your definition of a long jumper is. He took 6 shots in the paint, making 5. He took another 5 shots around the elbow (which I wouldn't define as a long jumper, especially for a guy with his skill set), making 4, which is where we desperately need someone to work effectively, especially when teams zone us. He also took 2 threes, making one. JB probably doesn't want him taking many of those, but he was feeling it on both attempts, and just let them fly.

View attachment 84730

7 of his 13 shots -- more than half -- came from beyond the foul line or further. That's what I consider to be long jumpers.

Obviously, Thompson can shoot, and he was on Saturday. That isn't the issue I'm pointing out. The issue is that he has a tendency to force offense, and has shown himself to be somewhat of a black hole when he comes into games. All's well when he is in the zone like he was Saturday, but it could be problematic at other times, when a bit of restraint might fit the team offensive concept better.

Given the overall problems we're having running effective half court sets, I want to see things settle into a state of harmony as opposed to seeing one-on-one play that could potentially be disruptive.

That said, I'm all in favor of TT getting more run. He's proven capable.

7 of his 13 shots -- more than half -- came from beyond the foul line. That's what I consider to be long jumpers.

Obviously, Thompson can shoot, and he was on Saturday. That isn't the issue I'm pointing out. The issue is that he has a tendency to force offense, and has shown himself to be somewhat of a black hole when he comes into games. All's well when he is in the zone like he was Saturday, but it could be problematic at other times, when a bit of restraint might fit the team offensive concept better.

Given the overall problems we're having running effective half court sets, I want to see things settle into a state of harmony as opposed to seeing one-on-one play that could potentially be disruptive.

The thing is, most of those shots were pretty wide open. I like that he doesn't hesitate. He knows where he is on the floor and what he wants to do with the ball. Something that Tyler Lydon should take note of. I would hope that his vision and passing ability would get better once he gets more experience and the game slows down a bit for him. I feel like tunnel vision and black hole syndrome could have more to do with the speed of the game than a selfishness issue.

7 of his 13 shots -- more than half -- came from beyond the foul line or further. That's what I consider to be long jumpers.

I actually don't think any of the shots were forced. I was fine with every shot. He also had a great high low pass play as well.

I actually don't think any of the shots were forced. I was fine with every shot. He also had a great high low pass play as well.

Just to be clear, I never said that any of the shots were forced--just that Thompson shows a bit of a black hole streak. And it wasn't just last game, its been noticeable all season. Kid puts the ball up almost every time he can.

Saturday, he made the shots. IMO, that's the difference [and a fine line] between everybody being okay with the outcome versus a player being a gunner -- not making shots.

Just to be clear, I never said that any of the shots were forced--just that Thompson shows a bit of a black hole streak. And it wasn't just last game, its been noticeable all season. Kid puts the ball up almost every time he can.

Saturday, he made the shots. IMO, that's the difference [and a fine line] between everybody being okay with the outcome versus a player being a gunner -- not making shots.

I wish he could donate some of his black hole to Lydon and others. That said, a black hole could be a refreshing change for the team, if he proves himself worthy of it, which has yet to be seen. If a "black hole"(tm) can maintain a high shooting perecentage, it isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

I wish he could donate some of his black hole to Lydon and others.

INDEED. That would be lovely.

If a "black hole"(tm) can maintain a high shooting perecentage, it isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

Kobe and KD say "hi". ;)

TT shoots J's when he's open.
Lydon pump fakes, giving the D player time to close out on what had been an open look.

Kobe and KD say "hi". ;)

TT shoots J's when he's open.
Lydon pump fakes, giving the D player time to close out on what had been an open look.

Not to get off topic, but another thing I noticed with a number of his and other Cuse players' pump fakes, is that when they do get past their man, they usually stop and slowly kick it back out(not for a shot). It gets frustrating as a fan to see them take an advantage and consistently give it right back, like an NFL team with an empty red zone trip.

Your assumption is correct. He has the highest usage percentage on the team.

It will be telling against better competition. He obviously looks to score, which isn't a bad thing but if his shot isn't falling or the defense isn't giving him opportunities he will need to move the ball. And he will need to learn to move the ball in a timely fashion to keep things flowing. I haven't seen a ton of that from him against the better teams we played. He did hit Lydon on a cut to the hoop and White for an open 3 last game however so I'm not ready to say he's a black hole yet. There is evidence that points both ways so far.

He certainly doesn't remind me of Cooney, as his shot's are coming with far less effort(and actually going in). As Jordoo noted, whether he uses them or not, he at least has the tools to be a better than average passer. Part of this is of course going to be on Boeheim, to instill balance into his habits. I may be getting ahead of myself, but wouldnt it be great if he becomes good enough to at least have teams focus on him like Cooney did? I think that could potentially help his teammates' scoring, instead of hurting it as was implied with the black hole moniker.

Ok, I feel obligated to tribute the moniker. I'm also curious if arbiter OttoInGrotto will certify it as an actual proper noun nickname, organically earned?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom