I guess the grass is greener... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I guess the grass is greener...

Forget even 7 years ago. Remember when the league office sat by and allowed founding member SU to be screwed out of the Gator Bowl in 2001 by football-only member VaTech. Being a top dog then really paid off, right?

We have a long history in the Big East, but it hasn't gotten us anything in terms of power in forever.

Anyone down on the ACC move is a fool.

This move almost guarantees us stability for the foreseeable future. It guarantees our inclusion on what is to become a true Atlantic Coast Conference. It eliminates any thought of an unbalanced / bloated basketball conference. It guarantees our athletic program will receive solid income for facilities upgrades.

Rivalries be damned. The short-term loss of rivalries are far outweighed by the benefits to the university and athletic department.

What traditional rivalries are we losing in football? The only one I can think of is West Virginia, and that's a rivalry that we could continue in the non-conference schedule at some point.

Big East Basketball is awesome, I won't deny that. I agree that basketball will take a big hit in traditional rivalries and traditions (playing in Madison Square Garden for the Big East Tournament)... games against traditional rivalries in conference (UCONN, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, etc). However, the quality of basketball in the ACC is also very high with a tremendous amount of very high quality teams. Imagine now that North Carolina, Duke, and Maryland will likely be playing in the Dome every year! That would be tremendous.

I really like this move. I think that SU fits much better in the ACC academically and athletically it will be a step up. Additionally, I'm glad to see Syracuse making a pre-emptive move to have more control of their own fate. If they stayed put and the Big East blew up, I don't think that's where they would want to be. The Big East has been an abomination since the first teams left for the ACC 8 years ago, and now this may be the second strike to finally put the conference away. I think when everything settles, the Big 12 and Big East will no longer exist. There may be some sort of hybrid conference in it's place, but it won't have long term stability because it will be a patchwork conference made up of bridesmaids instead of brides that are just banding together to hold onto AQ status in football. Does anyone really think that a conference made up of UCONN, Rutgers, USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, Baylor, and TCU is going to be a long term option? I did not include WVU because I'm assuming if Syracuse and Pittsburgh leave, that WVU won't be far behind them heading elsewhere (SEC or ACC?).

It is going to be crazy to see the dome when Duke and NC come to town to play. I hope we can get a center of the dome set up and pack the place for at least one game. It would be crazy fun. Prob never happen but a boy can dream.

I think that we would see it... I'm surprised that we haven't done it for games against Big East rivals like UCONN, Villanova, or Georgetown. We probably would sell out +50,000 for basketball games in there.

it's delusional to think this way about SU unless Upstate NY was it's own country or an island unto itself.

Why? In bball I do not see UNC or Duke as being any tougher than Pitt, Nova, GTown or anyone else at the top. We don't win the BE regualr season every year. In football, are the ACC teams really that much better? Lax we will still be top dog and played UVa and Duke all the time anyways. I don't see where this hurts us at all.

The biggest thing that will change is no Big East Tournament in MSG anymore... maybe the ACC would look at hosting their conference tournament somewhere different in the future, but it most likely won't be at MSG. Losing the old rivals in BB will be offset (eventually) by the quality of teams in the ACC. New rivalries will develop over time.

It's also nice seeing all those fans who come out and watch and fill up the dome to watch SU football - delusional and I am being nice about it

I think you all see some kind of magic an the ACC move that I don;t and I really don;t appreciate the tone of the posts, but so be it. I dont; see where Miami or BC were helped at all with their moves, BC maybe a bit, Miami went the other way IMO. So assuming sme magic is going to happen because it's SU is bunch of bull. I'll wait and see. We probably will maintain our position in BB as a very good team thatc an challenge for an NC but still behind Duke. I have no desire to repalce our BE BB rivalries in BB with new ACC Rivalries. I'm not necessarily speaking out against or for a move if your comprehend my post, I'm bemoaning what will have been lost, it may have been lost when the BE was formed and Penn St was not included. If and when this happens it will take a few years to know anything and anyone on hear thinking they know is lying. Maybe it will be a great move and multiple NCs are coming our way in FB, because that's the way we will judge success. I think that's a big long shot. And I am not sold on the BE instability crap, that's a media and fan perception and I never thought the BCS or NCAA would leave major NE college football out of any future championship deal. To many eyes live in the NE.

The ACC move doesn't guarantee "magic" or national titles. My god man - lower the bar. This is about having a seat at the big boy table when all is said and done, and ensuring the health of our athletic department. The Big East might literally not exist on Tuesday, and you want to wait around to fight for some idealistic/traditional version of what you view as the right Eastern football conference?

Plus, look around - the Big East isn't what it used to be. It's a mishmash of schools resulting from sheer desperation. There is no theme in terms of geography, size, or academics. Hopefully the ACC takes UConn and Rutgirls, and the northern division of the conference becomes the best of what the old Big East was - Pitt, BC, Syracuse, etc. We'll play some traditional basketball-onlies out of conference, and life will make sense again.

Maybe I'm just projecting my own tastes, but I wold expect football attendance to get a nice boost. It's hard to really get a hold on attendance dynamics in the New Big East, because it's formation coincided with SU's descent into football suckitude. But personally I'd much rather come up to see us play even middling ACC teams like UNC, UVA, NC State, BC, etc. than USF, Cincy, Louisville & UConn. And we'll actually see the return of the marquee conference opponent (FSU, VT, UM) which we haven't had at all (save for maybe WVU) in 8 years.

Hoops attendance is largely insulated from our conference affiliation. If we're top 15 we're putting 30K in the building on a winter Saturday night no matter who's in the road unis.

5 now teams in the ACC have Big East ties. If they ever add 2 more (Rutgers, UCONN, or WV) then we would have the "SPLIT" we all wanted for years. A division of the fb/bb schools away from the G'Town, St.Johns...etc.

I think you all see some kind of magic an the ACC move that I don;t and I really don;t appreciate the tone of the posts, but so be it. I dont; see where Miami or BC were helped at all with their moves, BC maybe a bit, Miami went the other way IMO. So assuming sme magic is going to happen because it's SU is bunch of bull. I'll wait and see. We probably will maintain our position in BB as a very good team thatc an challenge for an NC but still behind Duke. I have no desire to repalce our BE BB rivalries in BB with new ACC Rivalries. I'm not necessarily speaking out against or for a move if your comprehend my post, I'm bemoaning what will have been lost, it may have been lost when the BE was formed and Penn St was not included. If and when this happens it will take a few years to know anything and anyone on hear thinking they know is lying. Maybe it will be a great move and multiple NCs are coming our way in FB, because that's the way we will judge success. I think that's a big long shot. And I am not sold on the BE instability crap, that's a media and fan perception and I never thought the BCS or NCAA would leave major NE college football out of any future championship deal. To many eyes live in the NE.

Don't mean to pile on, but the tone of these posts comes across as sulking so that probably explains why you don't like the responses.

But let's move on. It's gonna be all right, brother. Better than all right.

The BE tourney is just a weekend. We'll always have GMac and 6OT, but before that, it was just an obstacle course that tired our guys out for the Big Dance.

Georgetown is a great villain, but they've been riding our coattails for years. When we play now, it's more about our fans packing their arena.

A home football schedule of BC, MD, VT, Pitt, maybe an Miami, FSU, GA Tech, Clemson every other year, is going to sell more tickets than USF, Cincy, West Virginia. If you believe the football coaches, an empty stadium is our biggest issue in recruiting going forward.

The influx of ACC money will upgrade our outdated football facilities across the board, an issue since P's tenure, universally agreed upon as recruiting issue #2. Maybe it will keep some of the staff around longer too.

Trying here to be realistic and grounded, sure, there will be issues, but the word that keeps coming up is: Panacea.

and now SU becomes second rate in the ACC vs top dog in the Big East. Founding member to just like Miami and BC selling out it's tradition, rivalries and the rest of the teams in the BE (sorry, Miami never had any tradition). I guess the silver lining is that it's not the Big Ten... If and when this happens it's a sad day and for many of East Coast College football/ Basketball fans it's giving up on a dream that has existed prior to my time as a SU follower. Maybe they'll grow into some kind of football powerhouse, I tend to think nothing really changes for SU FB and that it all depends on the coach and his success and the teams success anyway.I will miss SU/ WVU, SU/ Gtown and all the rest. Many might think it's a great thing to go to the ACC, and I have nothing against the ACC, but from my perspective we just gave up and decided good fb cannot be played in the North East, maybe it can't and it's time sell out the farm, but that doens;t change the fact we are from the North East and all the challenges we face don't go away and maybe become harder. But when and if that happens something will be lost in all of this and it may take longer than my lifetime to find that something again in the ACC.
"SU becomes second rate in the ACC"

What nonsense.

When 33,000 pack the Dome for an Orange win versus Duke, there will be nothing "second rate" about it.

When Marrone beats North Carolina in Chapel Hill and then Clemson in Death Valley it will be first class all the way.

I will miss two games versus Georgetown and Villanova but I will enjoy seeing Duke, NC, NC State, Va, BC and Pitt.

And the fun will begin immediately so enjoy your short lifetime.

BC has done well with the ACC as far as football is concerned.

Miami's struggles have had nothing to do with its conference affiliation in my judgment.

This move was necessary. It will advance the school's academic, development and athletic programs.

Syracuse today is a national story and I am very pleased that we will once again see BC, Va Tech, Miami and Maryland in the Dome on Saturdays. And Duke and NC and UVA and the rest during the winter months.

I can't wait for it to begin.

"BC has done well with the ACC as far as football is concerned."

Um, in a word, no. They lost to Puke yesterday.

The biggest thing that will change is no Big East Tournament in MSG anymore... maybe the ACC would look at hosting their conference tournament somewhere different in the future, but it most likely won't be at MSG. Losing the old rivals in BB will be offset (eventually) by the quality of teams in the ACC. New rivalries will develop over time.

I tend to agree. I realize that this is a big blow for NY area fans for whom the annual trek to MSG was an integral part of their SU experience, but for the rest of us the BET was always a pleasant diversion before the REAL tournament began.

Must read for everyone in this thread:

In ACC, BC hasn't been out of its league

Gene DiFilippo in Boston Globe said:
“People ask me, ‘What are the two things that have changed in your 14 years here?’

“One is the expectations. We had three winning teams in football in 10 years and now we have had 12 consecutive winning teams. In 10 of those, we have won eight or more games; in six of those, we have won nine or more; and in two of those, we have won 10 or 11.

“The expectations are way different.

“No. 2 are the facilities. Every single thing in Conte Forum is brand new. We built a soccer/lacrosse stadium. We built a field hockey stadium. Baseball, we have most of the money raised. As soon as our strategic plan is approved, we’re going to build a baseball and softball facility on the Brighton campus.

“Our fans sometimes forget where we came from. I don’t, because I lived it every day.’’

There may be some sort of hybrid conference in it's place, but it won't have long term stability because it will be a patchwork conference made up of bridesmaids instead of brides that are just banding together to hold onto AQ status in football. Does anyone really think that a conference made up of UCONN, Rutgers, USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, Baylor, and TCU is going to be a long term option? I did not include WVU because I'm assuming if Syracuse and Pittsburgh leave, that WVU won't be far behind them heading elsewhere (SEC or ACC?).

I think a 12 team all-sports conference would stand a better chance than a 12/20 monstrosity. Unless the trend is to have 4 superconferences of 64 teams with everyone else shut out, there will have to be a 5th conference of all the leftovers.

I tend to agree. I realize that this is a big blow for NY area fans for whom the annual trek to MSG was an integral part of their SU experience, but for the rest of us the BET was always a pleasant diversion before the REAL tournament began.

Remember when everyone's attitude was "let's just lose out early so we're ready for the Big Dance, no one remembers/cares who wins the BE title."

Yeah, thanks a lot, GMac and Jonny.

Remember when everyone's attitude was "let's just lose out early so we're ready for the Big Dance, no one remembers/cares who wins the BE title."

Yeah, thanks a lot, GMac and Jonny.

I'm one of those guys, although I realize I'm in the minority. I appreciated the BET wins and the 6 OT game was one for the ages. Truthfully though, that win would have been just as special had it occured in the regular season. On a national basis, nobody cares if SU wins the BET; all they care about is how many NCAA appearances, how many Sweet 16's, Final Fours, and NC's. It's only in our own little universe that it carried great importance

Uh, BC has won their division twice in six years. They haven't had a losing record since joining the ACC and stared out winning 9, 10, 11, and 9 games.

So Um, in a word, yes, regardless of what happens this year.

When the Pac10, Big10, and ACC expand, they pull from other BCS conferences...when the Big East expands they go to CUSA, and Mountain West. That explains a lot in terms of power, stability.

and now SU becomes second rate in the ACC vs top dog in the Big East. Founding member to just like Miami and BC selling out it's tradition, rivalries and the rest of the teams in the BE (sorry, Miami never had any tradition). I guess the silver lining is that it's not the Big Ten... If and when this happens it's a sad day and for many of East Coast College football/ Basketball fans it's giving up on a dream that has existed prior to my time as a SU follower. Maybe they'll grow into some kind of football powerhouse, I tend to think nothing really changes for SU FB and that it all depends on the coach and his success and the teams success anyway.I will miss SU/ WVU, SU/ Gtown and all the rest. Many might think it's a great thing to go to the ACC, and I have nothing against the ACC, but from my perspective we just gave up and decided good fb cannot be played in the North East, maybe it can't and it's time sell out the farm, but that doens;t change the fact we are from the North East and all the challenges we face don't go away and maybe become harder. But when and if that happens something will be lost in all of this and it may take longer than my lifetime to find that something again in the ACC.

you obviously dont understand the landscape of college football. this has nothing to do with giving up on the league and northeast football. its about protecting our automatic bcs qualifier status and getting in a league thats gonna be one of the 4, 16 team superconferences! the big eeast is going to dissolve and be absorbed into the big ten or acc with some teams left out in the cold!!! we are being proactive here. just hope that maybe wvu and usf can join us. ithers like cinncy and rutgers may be considered by big ten. in the end its gonna be 16 in the acc, big ten, sec, and pac 16!!!

Call me crazy but I want UConn in the ACC too. I want that rivalry to carry over. I hate Pitt. haaaate Pitt. I'd rather see UConn than Pitt.

I'd rather play teams that I hate. That's what fans pay to see. Who even knows how UConn fares once Calhoun steps away...

The biggest thing that will change is no Big East Tournament in MSG anymore...
We'll still have games in MSG. Act like a man. Yeah, the BET was unique - but too often it was a double edged sword.

Why wouldn't I get a VHS of the 87 final 4 and watch it on loop just as impressive

The Final Four with two Big East teams and no national champion is more impressive than the Final Four with three Big East teams and the national champion? I think you're missing something.

Hoops attendance is largely insulated from our conference affiliation. If we're top 15 we're putting 30K in the building on a winter Saturday night no matter who's in the road unis.

This might be a bit of a stretch. Basketball attendance hasn't been all that impressive. We get 30,000 if Syracuse is highly ranked and if the opponent is attractive (Georgetown? Duke?) and if the game is on a Saturday and at night.

We'll see a lot of repeats of the December 4th game last year: Saturday night, Syracuse is #8 in the country, North Carolina State is the opponent (one of the four or five most attractive opponents in our future league), and only 22,000 tickets are sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom