i guess we will always have 2003 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i guess we will always have 2003

It's why the NBA has the best Playoff system. There's a true champion at the end of the day.

Perhaps. The first two rounds are a snooze fest though.

Our recruiting is fine. We cannot have a roster of 12 burger boys. We can't be the Georgia football of college basketball and bury top 20 recruits behind other top 20 recruits. Boeheim doesn't bury kids its terrible for team chemistry. He only likes to play 8 guys or so. Even Kentucky and Duke who are recruiting better than anyone ever has are pushing kids out after 1 year to make room for new recruits. K told Tucker to scram after a couple months pretty sure transferring wasn't Tuckers idea K saw the kid and decided he'd rather have the open scholly.

For the first time in a while we have a bunch of open scholarships right now from 2019 forward we can go after anyone without needing someone to leave to open up a scholly/playing time. We've got a nice 8/9 man rotation for next season. We have recent tournament success and first round picks every year. Top players right now hate committing early. I actually think we are going to bring in some really good classes and start recruiting like UK/Duke getting commitments from top 20 players late in the process. We just won't have 2 years to look forward to those classes like we were able to do with past loaded classes. Duke fans weren't able to look forward to Zion Williamson last summer.

JB doesn't bury kids? Come on...

First off I am tough on JB but the man is freaking back breaking shot in the 87 from 2 NC.

If I were as old now during the 88-90 stretch I would be crazy with how we underachieved but at least those seasons were fun to watch thru the grind I bet.

If JB has high end elite talent he doesn’t waste it. He gets close. The problem is now we don’t really get that elite of elite talent. We get elite talent that thru high usage get their numbers elevated and go to the draft.

If JB had this year’s Duke roster he is doing better than Elite 8.

I don’t think we will the NC till we have an good shooting team that resembles the 2013 or 2016 team defensively.

I've been following SU since before JB became HC. The irony is that during the late 70s and all of the 80s JB had a rep for being a great recruiter but a mediocre bench coach who couldn't win the big game. We had several early tournament flame-outs. More recently he's masterfully gotten to some F4s with so-so talent. Now the rap is he can't recruit like he used to.

I've been following SU since before JB became HC. The irony is that during the late 70s and all of the 80s JB had a rep for being a great recruiter but a mediocre bench coach who couldn't win the big game. We had several early tournament flame-outs. More recently he's masterfully gotten to some F4s with so-so talent. Now the rap is he can't recruit like he used to.
In the 1980s players didn’t leave before their Junior year unless they were Magic or Isiah Thomas.
Thus, the teams were all better and while I am sure we had good talent it wasn’t the elite of the elite.

Pearl Washington was stud that was JB’s first real stud. I don’t know if we really had any inexcusable flameouts from 1981-1985.

1986 I have watched that loss to Navy that was a bad loss at home.
1987 was special.
1988-1990 those were all elite teams that should have done more but whatever.
1991 I have read the PS stuff hurt the program and it was bad March.
1992 was solid season we just lost to a better team in Worcester.
1994 we were a 4 seed and could have won that OT game against Mizzou.

The thing about JB is that really only had Pearl, Coleman, Owens, Carmelo as elite recruits.

We have had other really good recruits but those are the elite 4.

That is why the 1980s he couldn’t coach doesn’t make sense because everyone had talent. Now the talent doesn’t stay any longer than they have too.

JB doesn't bury kids? Come on...

Not talking about guys getting the JB dog house treatment was more referring to recruiting over guys yet keeping them around.

But back to my point about the next few years... we should be in position next few classes to nab a highly ranked recruit late in the game with PT and schollies available. We haven't been in position to do that since our move to the ACC. Getting left at the alter by punks like Quade/Tucker/Bazley is part of the game these days. Would be nice to have those 3 next year but I like what we have instead. I think Frank will have a really good season this is his first offseason hes had coming off a year where he played a lot and gained experience hes big and has a really nice 3 point stroke. Glad Marek isn't getting his minutes cut and reduced to a role player which happens if Bazley comes. We lost the Duke game because instead of being up 7 at half we were down 7 sitting him for Moyer. Plenty of PT for Hughes/Carey/Buddy. Plenty of scholarships to offer top recruits late in the game going forward.

In the 1980s players didn’t leave before their Junior year unless they were Magic or Isiah Thomas.
Thus, the teams were all better and while I am sure we had good talent it wasn’t the elite of the elite.

Pearl Washington was stud that was JB’s first real stud. I don’t know if we really had any inexcusable flameouts from 1981-1985.

1986 I have watched that loss to Navy that was a bad loss at home.
1987 was special.
1988-1990 those were all elite teams that should have done more but whatever.
1991 I have read the PS stuff hurt the program and it was bad March.
1992 was solid season we just lost to a better team in Worcester.
1994 we were a 4 seed and could have won that OT game against Mizzou.

The thing about JB is that really only had Pearl, Coleman, Owens, Carmelo as elite recruits.

We have had other really good recruits but those are the elite 4.

That is why the 1980s he couldn’t coach doesn’t make sense because everyone had talent. Now the talent doesn’t stay any longer than they have too.

My sense is that given your age you weren't around to watch those games in the 1980s but tell me if I'm wrong. I watched all of these games either in person or on TV. I can say with absolute certainty that the national rep on JB back then was that he was a so-so bench coach that couldn't win the big game.

Roosevelt Bouie was a big time recruit in 1976. He played at a small school outside of Rochester but he was a 6'11" guy that could run the floor and was a major shot blocker. He was a force right away.

In 1980 SU was the #1 seed in the East (had been #1 in the country for part of the year). We lost in the Sweet 16 to Iowa (#5 seed). JB got a crucial technical foul during that game. He got a lot of grief after that loss

In 1983 SU lost an NCAA game at the Dome to Ohio State. That was a bad loss. We were a 6 and they were a 3 but not being able to take advantage of your home court was not good.

In 1984 we were a 3 seed and lost to a 7 seed in UVA that had upset the 2 seed in Arkansas. That was an upset.

In 1985 SU lost to Ga Tech. We were a 7 and they were a 2. GaTech was a good team but they blew us out easily so another shaky performance.

The 1986 loss to Navy was bad because once again it was at the Dome and we were a 2 seed losing to a 7 seed. They had David Robinson but we played poorly once again. Gave up 97 points.

By this time you can see how JB's rep is starting to take a beating.

1987 and 1989 were great. Excellent teams but we didn't win the big game.

1988 and 1991 were brutal flame-outs to lesser teams. So was 1990 when we lost to Minnesota.

Not talking about guys getting the JB dog house treatment was more referring to recruiting over guys yet keeping them around.

But back to my point about the next few years... we should be in position next few classes to nab a highly ranked recruit late in the game with PT and schollies available. We haven't been in position to do that since our move to the ACC. Getting left at the alter by punks like Quade/Tucker/Bazley is part of the game these days. Would be nice to have those 3 next year but I like what we have instead. I think Frank will have a really good season this is his first offseason hes had coming off a year where he played a lot and gained experience hes big and has a really nice 3 point stroke. Glad Marek isn't getting his minutes cut and reduced to a role player which happens if Bazley comes. We lost the Duke game because instead of being up 7 at half we were down 7 sitting him for Moyer. Plenty of PT for Hughes/Carey/Buddy. Plenty of scholarships to offer top recruits late in the game going forward.

Yes but certain guys are off limits because of all zone. The staff has to reach out to make sure a player is down with all zone before they really start committing to recruiting him harder. Usually the sloppy seconds. Also, I was taking a wait and see approach in regards to the transition game coming back. Losing Bazely is a huge blow to those prospects. Frank isn’t a running type of PG and JB slowed the game down in order to grind out games and preserve energy. Carey is going to want to push the ball and get downhill. He also has been quoted saying that the staff feels like he is a one and done type player. If we’re thin again with numbers/bodies combined with Boeheim slowing the game down again; I’m going to have an ulcer. Recruits won’t want to come to play in our offense, IMO. You rip Virginia but they move the ball with a purpose TO get a good shot. Not stall out, pound the rock in one place, and force up a bad shot as the shot clock expires make or miss. Objectively, what is attractive about our scheme if we continue to plod, pound the rock, and not get downhill? We had at least two games with 3 assists total!!! How is that even possible?

Yes but certain guys are off limits because of all zone. The staff has to reach out to make sure a player is down with all zone before they really start committing to recruiting him harder. Usually the sloppy seconds. Also, I was taking a wait and see approach in regards to the transition game coming back. Losing Bazely is a huge blow to those prospects. Frank isn’t a running type of PG and JB slowed the game down in order to grind out games and preserve energy. Carey is going to want to push the ball and get downhill. He also has been quoted saying that the staff feels like he is a one and done type player. If we’re thin again with numbers/bodies combined with Boeheim slowing the game down again; I’m going to have an ulcer. Recruits won’t want to come to play in our offense, IMO. You rip Virginia but they move the ball with a purpose TO get a good shot. Not stall out, pound the rock in one place, and force up a bad shot as the shot clock expires make or miss. Objectively, what is attractive about our scheme if we continue to plod, pound the rock, and not get downhill? We had at least two games with 3 assists total!!! How is that even possible?

That's one of the only unfortunate aspects of SU winning three tournament games this year. Some folks forget how brutally painful it was to watch that offense and how without some serious reinforcements it is possible we may see a similar version next year.

So technically it is a championship. The representatives in the final four are the champions of the regions. They get trophies and everything. Just saying.
All year, we hear about and talk about, The Road to the Final Four. If we make the Final Four, that should be celebrated to no end.

351 teams and only 3 end the season with a tournament win. And we’d certainly rather lose in the Final Four than win either of the other 2 tournaments.

This game will kill you if you consider failure to be anything less then a national championship.

That's one of the only unfortunate aspects of SU winning three tournament games this year. Some folks forget how brutally painful it was to watch that offense and how without some serious reinforcements it is possible we may see a similar version next year.

Precisely. Like a free pass to not improve it and/or not get more bodies up in here because they got to the Sweet 16 playing 6 or whatever.

the program is totally healthy. nothing to see here.

It’s just another year for a program that is up and down like 99% of the other teams in college basketball. We’re actually lucky enough to know we’ll be somewhere in the top 30% of the CBB world no matter what.

Gotta lower your expectations in some regards our D was elite this year and damn close to UVA level definitely was one of the 5 best in the country. We were probably one of the 5 youngest teams in the nation. We might have played one of the 5 toughest schedules in the nation. Our PG was the oldest player and it was his first year logging big minutes and hes a combo guard who will turn it over at times.

We beat MSU and probably beat Duke if we didn't have to insert Moyer for Marek late in the first half when we had a 5 point lead. And our offense definitely could have used the guy who quit on us before the season and the guy who quit on us midseason.

2003 is getting pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

may as well cling to those helms titles if we are gonna do that.

Last edited:

That transition only happened for SU fans. For casual fans in the rest of the country the 80s rep has stuck; they think we recruit with Dook & UK for some reason.

10 posts...no knowledge of what’s really going on...

Posts such as these is what makes this board juvenile and high school 'clickish' at times. So, because Frankie doesn't have a plethora of posts, he has no clue? It really shouldn't have any bearing whatsoever, the number of one's posts. How do you know whether he hasn't followed the program for decades? Frankly, the shear volume of some of these handles are stunning, but all the power to them for having such an absorbent amount of free time of their hands. You may not agree with one's post, but simply dissing it because of volume, or giving it such high respect for an excessive amount, shouldn't be the threshold.

Syracuse University basketball is:

- 5th all-time in Wins (1988)

- 7th all-time in AP Top 25 finishes (30)

- 7th all-time (tied) in NCAA appearances (39)

- 11th all-time (tied) in Final Four appearances (6)

- 16th all-time (tied) in National Championships (1)

A little perspective to the sky is falling crowd. Although I understand its not the style of a daily message board, sometimes you just gotta step back, take a breath and see the big picture.

Syracuse University basketball is:

- 5th all-time in Wins (1988)

- 7th all-time in AP Top 25 finishes (30)

- 7th all-time (tied) in NCAA appearances (39)

- 11th all-time (tied) in Final Four appearances (6)

- 16th all-time (tied) in National Championships (1)

A little perspective to the sky is falling crowd. Although I understand its not the style of a daily message board, sometimes you just gotta step back, take a breath and see the big picture.

The sky isn't falling and to Syracuse's credit, they've made many a late run to Elite Eight's, Final Four's and national championships B.B. (Before Boeheim) and since he took over. You can't argue against Syracuse's longevity over damn near a century of basketball. With that said, we can't dismiss the value of a championship. Can't hold onto 2003 forever. That's all I'm saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom