I hate games like that... | Syracusefan.com

I hate games like that...

RF2044

Living Legend
...where a mediocre [and in this case, 2-7 in the ACC] opponent:

• Lights us up from three, and seemingly can't miss

• Where their ball movement is so crisp, they get easy scoring opportunity after easy scoring opportunity

• Every basket we get [which seem to come at a 1:2 disadvantage] is a grind, an we struggle to score

• When our opponent comes out sharp, quickly puts us down double digits

• Where some no-name HC has his team better prepared, and coaches circles around our HOF'er

• And for all of the above, we have NO ANSWERS

Inexcusable.

Unfortunately, while we've all this movie many times before , it's happened with much greater frequency the last 9 years.

Last edited:
I will say. That was amazing ball movement by Va Tech. Crisp and decisive. Always made the extra pass for a better shot. Never see that from Syracuse. Last time I saw that type of ball movement with Syracuse was Wes Johnson year. That may be the best Syracuse passing team I ever saw.

When opponents know exactly what we do and we don’t have the talent advantage anymore then all it takes is for a coaching staff to spend the days before they play us drilling in exactly what to do.
In the past our length would be impossible to simulate in practice and thus make it hard once the game starts.

Now we are doing the same things in the past with less talented players in those spots and teams can prepare for us. If you put a player at the free throw line who can pass then every possession you will get an open look with patience.

Coaching and adjustments matter. First game to second game we saw major differences.

We are easy to prepare for. It shows when a team struggles against us now it’s likely that team has poor coaching in the days leading up and not preparing for our defense.

These Saturday to Monday games are good for us. Miami didn’t have much time to prepare. Sadly Virginia is so well coached they will be prepared.

I like Saturday to Monday games for Syracuse though because of the fact all we do is play zone.

When opponents know exactly what we do and we don’t have the talent advantage anymore then all it takes is for a coaching staff to spend the days before they play us drilling in exactly what to do.
In the past our length would be impossible to simulate in practice and thus make it hard once the game starts.

Now we are doing the same things in the past with less talented players in those spots and teams can prepare for us. If you put a player at the free throw line who can pass then every possession you will get an open look with patience.

Coaching and adjustments matter. First game to second game we saw major differences.

We are easy to prepare for. It shows when a team struggles against us now it’s likely that team has poor coaching in the days leading up and not preparing for our defense.

These Saturday to Monday games are good for us. Miami didn’t have much time to prepare. Sadly Virginia is so well coached they will be prepared.

I like Saturday to Monday games for Syracuse though because of the fact all we do is play zone.
It’s not just a talent issue. Todays game is not suited to the zone. Best we can hope is that Adam brings in some 5 star studs to help us outscore teams, cuz the defense ain’t gonna change until there’s a staff change.

We made a nice run from 20 down to around 10.. we then missed 2 fts and a layup and 3-4 wide open jumpers as VT made mistake after mistake. We then lost a simple rebound out of bounds. Ran into each other on a simple steal, lost another rebound out of bounds and Mintz stepped out of bounds. Very easily could have the lead down under 5-6 at that point but then VT made a couple 3s and it went back up to like 18..

Everything about this program is subpar. The players, the coaching, everything.

It needs a complete overhaul. No clue when that’s gonna come. Can’t come soon enough.
We need to POUND THE PORTAL!!! Amazing how many really good teams have added players who fit perfectly into their lineup. That said, Cole Swider would have been an important piece for us.

I really don't understand why any prospect of any value who thinks he can go pro would come to Syracuse in the first place since zone defense is illegal in the pro's. I would think he would want to play man to man in college to show his abilities.Maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.

I really don't understand why any prospect of any value who thinks he can go pro would come to Syracuse in the first place since zone defense is illegal in the pro's. I would think he would want to play man to man in college to show his abilities.Maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.
It’s not illegal in the pros anymore.

You’ll see it from time to time when the situation calls for it from a few teams, but no pro team plays it all game long.

Zone is not illegal in the pros anymore. They changed that in 2000. The center just can’t hang out in the painted area for more than 3 seconds when there is not an offensive player around.

You could add a fistful of million-dollar five stars and we still would have lost that game. There needs to be an adjustment as soon as the opposing team hits its second three-pointer in quick succession. Go back to zone later, but don't let them get wide eyes shooting.

You’ll see it from time to time when the situation calls for it from a few teams, but no pro team plays it all game long.
I never knew it was illegal. How did they even enforce that?

You could add a fistful of million-dollar five stars and we still would have lost that game. There needs to be an adjustment as soon as the opposing team hits its second three-pointer in quick succession. Go back to zone later, but don't let them get wide eyes shooting.
Not with you on this statement.

i don't really enjoy a blowout ever win or lose. unless i really hate the other team or coach.

Pros also constantly switch and don't play as grabby as college man. Not sure the anti-zone argument applies. Plus they're looking for scorers anyway.

Va Tech is one of the better teams in the league. Now that they have their full roster they are tough. That said, we aren't good and this part of the schedule I think will prove that. The only question remaining of any importance is when a move is made by JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom