I hate how ESPN holds fans as hostages... | Syracusefan.com

I hate how ESPN holds fans as hostages...

cto

Administrator
Less than two weeks before the UConn game, and we're still waiting for ESPN to announce when it will start.

I realize that television contracts mean revenues for colleges, but it is ridiculous to wait so long to announce starting times -- especially when they can range between noon and 8 p.m.

It simply is not fair to fans who live four or more hours away (or even closer for that matter). Do we need a hotel room? If so, for which night? Can I make other Saturday morning plans? Or evening plans? Or Sunday morning plans?

Maybe it makes no difference for some of you, but I suspect most people have lives outside of football games.

Less than two weeks before the UConn game, and we're still waiting for ESPN to announce when it will start.

I realize that television contracts mean revenues for colleges, but it is ridiculous to wait so long to announce starting times -- especially when they can range between noon and 8 p.m.

It simply is not fair to fans who live four or more hours away (or even closer for that matter). Do we need a hotel room? If so, for which night? Can I make other Saturday morning plans? Or evening plans? Or Sunday morning plans?

Maybe it makes no difference for some of you, but I suspect most people have lives outside of football games.

According to Buzz Shaw we need to get one ... :)

I have to imagine most people would agree with you.

It is ridiculous that we don't know when kickoff is yet.

This game isn't exactly LSU/Bama where they would flex to primetime for a national audience like the Sunday night NFL games.

Syracuse will always have rooms available even if they don't post the game time until the day before the game.

Syracuse will always have rooms available even if they don't post the game time until the day before the game.
You're sure to get a good hotel room in Syracuse for this game, but you may want to book now ;)

I'm not talking about the availability of rooms..... I am talking about people wanting to be able to schedule their lives!

Agree. The game time determines whether I get a room for just Friday, just Saturday or both. Right now I have a room for both nights and will cancel accordingly if needed.

There was hardly a room to be had in Syracuse this past weekend.

Come on...it's East Hartford! Two nights barely scratches the surface of that town!

Now this is comedy.

I'm going to probably be staying at a friend's in Storrs the night of the game. I hope I get to see their famous gas station/Dunkin' Donuts combo. I'll try to get pictures...

Now this is comedy.

I'm going to probably be staying at a friend's in Storrs the night of the game. I hope I get to see their famous gas station/Dunkin' Donuts combo. I'll try to get pictures...

At least you can stay with your parents in Stamford. Think about all the folks who are making 5-hour drives from CNY. It sucks not knowing how to plan for the weekend. Sorry for the rant, but this has become an obsession with me. Because I deal with it all the time for basketball games in DC, Philly, Providence, etc. Oh wait. Pretty soon we won't be playing them any more. Then I will have to deal with Durham, Chapel Hill, Atlanta, Charlottesville, etc.

At least you can stay with your parents in Stamford. Think about all the folks who are making 5-hour drives from CNY. It sucks not knowing how to plan for the weekend. Sorry for the rant, but this has become an obsession with me. Because I deal with it all the time for basketball games in DC, Philly, Providence, etc. Oh wait. Pretty soon we won't be playing them any more. Then I will have to deal with Durham, Chapel Hill, Atlanta, Charlottesville, etc.

I completely agree. I 'get' why they announce stuff so late ($$$), but it would be nice if we just had all the times for the season given to us from the get-go so we could plan our trips and our time around it. If it's a nooner I'm gonna have to book it from Syracuse to EH early Saturday or go home the night before and then wake up and still drive 2 hours the next morning.

Oh well, what can you do?

I completely agree. I 'get' why they announce stuff so late ($$$), but it would be nice if we just had all the times for the season given to us from the get-go so we could plan our trips and our time around it. If it's a nooner I'm gonna have to book it from Syracuse to EH early Saturday or go home the night before and then wake up and still drive 2 hours the next morning.

well you can't have the game times "from the get go", they obviously have to let the season take shape to guage interest (surprise teams / let downs / payback games like ours with wv) ... but it is ridiculous that they wait this long

It ain't abut the fans any more. It is all about TV. If a school has a hard core local base of home fans, it doesn't make much of a difference for home games. But for fans who want to go to away games, it SUCKS. SU has more alums outside of CNY than it has in CNY. And this "rule by espn" makes their life difficult. We ain't a huge state school like frigging Ohio State, for example, where everyone in the state considers herself a diehard fan. Sorry for the rant, but this madness is not fair to fans.

It ain't abut the fans any more. It is all about TV. If a school has a hard core local base of home fans, it doesn't make much of a difference for home games. But for fans who want to go to away games, it SUCKS. SU has more alums outside of CNY than it has in CNY. And this "rule by espn" makes their life difficult. We ain't a huge state school like frigging Ohio State, for example, where everyone in the state considers herself a diehard fan. Sorry for the rant, but this madness is not fair to fans.

Haha, I think you have earned the right to rant.

BTW Joyce, my family was up this weekend. They were really impressed with the Melo Center and the Auditorium in Newhouse III. I gave them the whole campus tour again, as I am still trying to sell my 16 year old brother on SU (he wants to go somewhere warm, oh well).

Agree.. the time should be announced by Matt Park at Marrone's lunch tomorrow..

They will announce it on Monday just like all the other ESPN games. I know it sucks just hope it isn't at noon like the Louisville game on monday. Which is 11 am central time ouch.

Haha, I think you have earned the right to rant.

BTW Joyce, my family was up this weekend. They were really impressed with the Melo Center and the Auditorium in Newhouse III. I gave them the whole campus tour again, as I am still trying to sell my 16 year old brother on SU (he wants to go somewhere warm, oh well).

"Warm" is relative. Actually, Syracuse is warmer than Stamford. Syracuse is a "dry" cold --- not a "wet" cold. I have always felt colder in Metro NYC than I felt in Syracuse.