I have a love/hate relationship with Cooney's dunks | Syracusefan.com

I have a love/hate relationship with Cooney's dunks

Eric15

Living Legend
I love them because they're exciting and they cause me to scream in my living room like a lunatic.

I hate them because it scares the absolute !@#$ out of me when Cooney goes up for a two-handed slam when there's a defender immediately behind him ready to foul him hard. I just hold my breath and pray that he comes down safely - leaving both feet at the same time while getting fouled is a blown out knee or ankle waiting to happen.

I love them because they're exciting and they cause me to scream in my living room like a lunatic.

I hate them because it scares the absolute !@#$ out of me when Cooney goes up for a two-handed slam when there's a defender immediately behind him ready to foul him hard. I just hold my breath and pray that he comes down safely - leaving both feet at the same time while getting fouled is a blown out knee or ankle waiting to happen.

Last night I had one of those when he got blocked from behind. I keep my fingers crossed pretty much on every play.

The one foul they showed in slow-mo it looked like Cooney hit his hand on the backboard. I was worried he damaged it but he made is following free-throws.

I equally worry when jerami grant does it as well. He wants to dunk on everything and coming down hard scares me. Like that "block" where that bc shitthead body checked him. No call cuz he got ball but he literally dry humped him.

I'm thinking of the MCW breakaway dunk against against Lville last year where he landed real hard.

I equally worry when jerami grant does it as well. He wants to dunk on everything and coming down hard scares me. Like that "block" where that bc shitthead body checked him. No call cuz he got ball but he literally dry humped him.

After one rebound follow up dunk last night he kept looking down at his hand and shaking it out like he had hurt/cut it on the rim. He also is open to an injury with the way he drives the lane pretty much over everyone. He will land on someone at some point this year. I hope he just hurts the guy he lands on, and not himself.

I swear at least once per game Grant falls and gets his gangly legs twisted up like a newborn giraffe and the season flashes before my eyes.

PHO-10Feb19-205875.jpg

Jerami makes me shriek like a baby. He exposes himself so much with his insane leaping ability, that I fear his legs will be swiped every time he goes up. He clearly has to be leading the country in "back on the floor minutes".

May I ask why jumping off of two feet is more dangerous than one? It seems jumping off of two feet would leave him more balanced while in mid-air. Additionally, since he doesn't take off far from the basket, he isn't drifting much while in the air, which should lend itself to better balance also.

I get your sentiment though. Would hate to lose our best shooter due to landing awkwardly following a foul on a dunk attempt.

May I ask why jumping off of two feet is more dangerous than one?

I don't have anything scientific to base it on, it's just my feeling that leaving both feet at the same time makes your body more dangerously exposed to contact as opposed to if you left just one foot which would leave your other foot closer to the ground for stabilization.

I don't have anything scientific to base it on, it's just my feeling that leaving both feet at the same time makes your body more dangerously exposed to contact as opposed to if you left just one foot which would leave your other foot closer to the ground for stabilization.
But the foot you jump off of is actually closer to the floor than the other one, isn't it? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get a picture in my mind of what it looks like.

Whatever, it's basketball. I don't want guys not being aggressive because they are afraid of getting hurt. Sometimes that's what gets you hurt. Trevor could just as easily destroy his ankle coming down on someone's foot taking a 3. Should he not take 3's then either?

I've been saying to my friends all year Grant ends up on the floor more than any player I've seen. Like 5 or 10 times every game.

If anything, IMHO, jumping off one foot leaves you more exposed because all your weight is on one leg on takeoff, and then all your weight is on the other leg when you land. If you get hit when you are planting, all the stabilization is on one set of joints (the leg on the ground), not on two. And when you use two, more and stronger stabilization and balance muscles come into play (more core and upper body muscles).

Just think, do you have better balance on one leg or on two?

If anything, IMHO, jumping off one foot leaves you more exposed because all your weight is on one leg on takeoff, and then all your weight is on the other leg when you land. If you get hit when you are planting, all the stabilization is on one set of joints (the leg on the ground), not on two. And when you use two, more and stronger stabilization and balance muscles come into play (more core and upper body muscles).

Just think, do you have better balance on one leg or on two?

Where is my man MCC? He's the smartest scientific mind on the board and I will agree with whatever conclusion he comes to on this.