I have to agree with Dee Dee McCarron on her tweet | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I have to agree with Dee Dee McCarron on her tweet

She's a racist biotch and the girlfriend was even worse with her tweet. They both should be relentlessly ridiculed in the national media.
Are you basing this on these tweets? Or is there more evidence?

I didn't see the girlfriend's. What'd she say?

Completely basing it on the tweets. It may not be fair but that's some over the top stuff.

I agree that it is important for people to learn how to speak properly. And it would be nice if these schools could help out in this regard. At the same time, if you took any of us from this board, had us just winning the national championship, and stuck a camera in our face, we would each of us sound like blathering idiots.

Last edited:

Just saw the GF tweet wasn't hers but someone else's that she know but then "favorited" the tweet, so my opinion stands.

BdWyULkCYAALVec.png:large

Just saw the GF tweet wasn't hers but someone else's that she know but then "favorited" the tweet, so my opinion stands.

BdWyULkCYAALVec.png:large

Saying that the tweet was "someone else's that she know" sounds a little like Ebonics. ;)

I don't get racism from that tweet. As you say, calling it racism is unfair. Some people hold everyone to a standard for the use of English. Tweeting about someone else's diction doesn't make them racist it just makes them inconsiderate and either thoughtless or mean. If you were right that it was racism, I'd guess it's because you believe a stereotype that happened to be correct. I consider that type of stereotyping similar to racism.

Saying that the tweet was "someone else's that she know" sounds a little like Ebonics. ;)

I don't get racism from that tweet. As you say, calling it racism is unfair. Some people hold everyone to a standard for the use of English. Tweeting about someone else's diction doesn't make them racist it just makes them inconsiderate and either thoughtless or mean. If you were right that it was racism, I'd guess it's because you believe a stereotype that happened to be correct. I consider that type of stereotyping similar to racism.

After the tweets there was plenty of accusations of them being racist and is why the mother responded today saying specifically that she was not a racist. When someone complains about how a black person talks, I absolutely look at is as a racist comment.

Last edited:
After the tweets there was plenty of accusations of them bring racist and is why the mother responded today saying specifically that she was not a racist. When someone complains about how a black person talks, I absolutely look at is as a racist comment.
Although people also make fun of how white people talk (e.g. George Bush, Larry Bird). Isn't it possible the motivation was the same in this case?

Huh, I thought he was fine for the most part.

Honestly, some of the people u see down there with their hillbilly'ish version of English sound FAR worse to me. He seemed a tad over the top with the god/lord nonsense (and nervous) - but that seems to be more the case down south than in the Northeast in general.

Although people also make fun of how white people talk (e.g. George Bush, Larry Bird). Isn't it possible the motivation was the same in this case?

Imo, mocking the way a black person talks has historically been code words for racism. Not so with how a white person talks like a hick. I believe it's a different level.

Bomani Jones made a good point on Twitter about this. He said Winston has the country accent but most people would call the speech dumb.

Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones
17h
bingo. common mistake. RT @D_Anthony13: i think your followers are confusing "unintelligent" and "country"

And for the record the SU guys I've met from the south (especially Ri'Shard Anderson) have very heavy accents and are difficult to understand.

I agree that it is important for people to learn how to speak properly. And it would be nice if these schools could help out in this regard. At the same time, if you took any of us from this board, had us just winning the national championship, we would each of us sound like blathering idiots.

I do a fair amount of public speaking, and I've been quoted in articles and what not. I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to be a good public speaker, let alone a great one. I've seen video of myself giving talks that makes me cringe.

We're talking about a 20 year old, minutes after playing intense football for 3 1/2 hours, with little public speaking experience. He's not Ronald Reagan but he's not that bad, really:

Bomani Jones made a good point on Twitter about this. He said Winston has the country accent but most people would call the speech dumb.
Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones 17h
bingo. common mistake. RT @D_Anthony13: i think your followers are confusing "unintelligent" and "country"

And for the record the SU guys I've met from the south (especially Ri'Shard Anderson) have very heavy accents and are difficult to understand.
My wife has a southern accent. Once while sitting in a restaurant at the Villages, a guy who were introduce to and from Jersey made a remark about her accent. I did not appreciate it because I took it as an insult and told him with his accent he had no business talking about anyone's accent either. I also wanted to kick his ass because I thought he was arrogant but then I realize I was getting to old for that.

My point is that people down South do have accents just like people from New York city or Boston. It does not mean that because they have accents they are not bright. Same goes for people from other countries. Winston may not speak the King's English but he is on his way to becoming a millionaire.

I didn't think he sounded dumb at all. Guy was all amped up after just winning a NC - what the hell is he supposed to sound like, Obama that's prepped for a speech for weeks?

Chompers and AJ's Mom need to .

Kid gives a shout out to a serviceman in Afghanistan and to an ill child and this is what the superficial focus on. Nice.

She's disgusting. She has to know how much crap her son has gotten through social media throughout his career. And for her, as a mother, to do that to someone else's son makes me sick. She's a horrible and petty person.

Growing up in the suburbs of Syracuse in a school with barely any diversity... ie only a handful of people not Caucasian, I heard plenty of "ebonics." It's racist to associate poor English with race. People believe her comment was racist because Jameis isn't white. If he was Asian or Hispanic people would be claiming racism as well. Poor English is poor English regardless of skin color, race or gender. Not sure why so many people find it necessary to troll for racism in every statement or action taken. Unless you are in a persons brain or heart you can't say something is based on hatred.

"is this English".

I almost had to give cali a call for a translation.

on the whole, the SEC PLAYERS have this market cornered on poor speaking skills and those majors might be tad out of reach for most players to stay eligible in school.

Regardless of what she was thinking... it's called an "internal filter"... people with class and intelligence have it, others do not (apparently). You don't post something like that on Twitter for the world to see... what did she (or countless others who have made the same mistake) think the response would be? Did she think people would take that comment well?

Growing up in the suburbs of Syracuse in a school with barely any diversity... ie only a handful of people not Caucasian, I heard plenty of "ebonics." It's racist to associate poor English with race. People believe her comment was racist because Jameis isn't white. If he was Asian or Hispanic people would be claiming racism as well. Poor English is poor English regardless of skin color, race or gender. Not sure why so many people find it necessary to troll for racism in every statement or action taken. Unless you are in a persons brain or heart you can't say something is based on hatred.

Agreed... I don't look at it as racist... just rude and unnecessary.

The guy is a kid after all... he turned 20 years old on the day of the game. He gets a microphone shoved in his face after an emotional win and has to think on his feet... have any of you ever spoken in front of large crowds with a microphone and tv cameras in your face? There is a reason that politicians and news anchors prepare speeches and put them on cards or teleprompters in front of them. It isn't easy to do.

I'd be more worried about editors that can't check their work in time or the fact checkers that screw up their info. How many times have you seen the banner at the bottom of a tv station and it has words spelled incorrectly or in poor grammar? The papers as well...seriously people are complaining about a 20 year old kid after a huge game that had a ton of emotion involved?

Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones 17h

To me his accent was not the "problem"... he was just getting mixed up on what he wanted to say (which is fine in my opinion, given the situation... it's hard to speak in public, especially on the fly).

Though, regarding the accent, he is from Alabama and many folks (regardless of color) that I've met from that area of the country are difficult to understand just because of the thick southern accent.

Accents and language are funny things... as one of my French Canadian friends once told me in his thick accented English... "I'm much smarter in French."

Agreed... I don't look at it as racist... just rude and unnecessary.

The guy is a kid after all... he turned 20 years old on the day of the game. He gets a microphone shoved in his face after an emotional win and has to think on his feet... have any of you ever spoken in front of large crowds with a microphone and tv cameras in your face? There is a reason that politicians and news anchors prepare speeches and put them on cards or teleprompters in front of them. It isn't easy to do.
I'd be more worried about editors that can't check their work in time or the fact checkers that screw up their info. How many times have you seen the banner at the bottom of a tv station and it has words spelled incorrectly or in poor grammar? The papers as well...seriously people are complaining about a 20 year old kid after a huge game that had a ton of emotion involved?

I agree. I believe her statement was bore out of emotion about the game. She's likely bitter about her son not getting the Heisman this year and the SEC lost. People shouldn't tweet or use any other social media without first passing a series of competency questions to make sure they are of stable mind. :bang:

I agree. I believe her statement was bore out of emotion about the game. She's likely bitter about her son not getting the Heisman this year and the SEC lost. People shouldn't tweet or use any other social media without first passing a series of competency questions to make sure they are of stable mind. :bang:

I'm sure you're right and I'd like to see people that complain about this get a microphone in their face after some impact thing in their lives and see how they fare. I'm sure all of her kids teammates are Rhode Scholars as well, let's face it...Bama ain't no Harvard.

I'm sure you're right and I'd like to see people that complain about this get a microphone in their face after some impact thing in their lives and see how they fare. I'm sure all of her kids teammates are Rhode Scholars as well, let's face it...Bama ain't no Syracuse.

Fixed

I am African American myself. To me, Jameis is just country. My down south family members talk like that and I always picked on them because of that. And vice versa they thought it was funny that I I talked too proper. The way you talk cant always be a measurement of how intellegent you are. I know straight thugs who talk improper but are more intelligent than I am and I have a Master's degree. And like someone mentioned, Andrew Luck doesnt speak well IMO, but it doesnt make him unintelligent. Other examples. Sly Stallone, Arnold Swartzeneggar. If I was Jamies I would take speech classes because I have a feeling he will be in front of the camera alot the next 15 years. To lighten everyone up, Jamies Winston sounds like a drunk Ray lewis. lol..

Oh my.

CNN analysis: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Good piece by the same journalist who won the Pulitzer Prize for her work on the Jerry Sandusky-State Penn scandal. While this report doesn't contain the same shock value that Sandusky's disgusting antics and the subsequent cover-up produced, it is still a troubling story. The focus is on public universities, and many of the most egregious examples are to be found in the south, but northern, private schools are not exempt from some of these practices as well.

This story is just more evidence IMHO that a sizeable percentage of supremely talented high school football players would be better served in a professional minor league than they currently are.