I hope Gross remembers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Gross remembers

So while we've got some very well-informed guys on the thread, who is most responsible for Grob?

Way to move the goalposts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jimmy sold the schools soul to the devil for a nc in hoops-
and he decided to get his blood from the football side

Way to move the goalposts.

No, now that we've gotten behind the scenes the PS won't cover on the firing of P, I'm genuinely interested.

No, now that we've gotten behind the scenes the PS won't cover on the firing of P, I'm genuinely interested.
You're a dipshit too -- don't forget that. Interested -- and a dipshit.

Dude it was 9 f****** years ago. Seriously. You are wrong that it was Gross's decision.

So while we've got some very well-informed guys on the thread, who is most responsible for Grob?

That was solely on Dr Gross. The Dr did not want Marrone either - he actually wanted to get someone with previous HC experience but the decision was set up and done "by committee" and those on the committee wanted Marrone. Because Marrone found out that Gross was the only one that didn't want him, Gross & Marrone started off on the wrong foot and was never a good relationship even to the end.

Much more to it but it's over, Marrone is gone and it's time to move on.

Some guys interview well, and he had success as a DC on two Superbowl winning teams and at Texas. Nobody knew what kind of train wreck he would be as a head coach. It proves that football success in one capacity doesn't necessarily translate to others.

The decision was made there yes but Cantor had support already by the Board.

She didn't need their support although some wanted him gone the prior season He wouldn't have been fired if we had played better that game. Her exact words have been posted before but it was a decade ago and no longer matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys interview well, and he had success as a DC on two Superbowl winning teams and at Texas. Nobody knew what kind of train wreck he would be as a head coach. It proves that football success in one capacity doesn't necessarily translate to others.

I hope Shaffer turns out - really do - but he hired inexperienced friends and that worries me. We saw that today at GT where we got out coached again by a much more experienced group of coaches.

It was much more than interviewing well. Gross had seen success at USC with a defensive coach from the NFL. So that was the model. The 4 he chose to interview were Grob, Lewis, Gray and Henderson. He narrowed it down to Grob and Gray and he and Cantor interviewed the 2 in Philadelphia I believe. Grob had the advantage and was selected because he had the recommendation of Carroll as well as Monte Kiffin, two guys Gross knew and trusted.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was much more than interviewing well. Gross had seen success at USC with a defensive coach from the NFL. So that was the model. The 4 he chose to interview were Grob, Lewis, Gray and Henderson. He narrowed it down to Grob and Gray and he and Cantor interviewed the 2 in Philadelphia I believe. Grob had the advantage and was selected because he had the recommendation of Carroll as well as Monte Kiffin, two guys Gross knew and trusted.,
Thanks for the additional insight. I am no insider, and most of what I know is from you guys on this board. Everything about him says he should've been a homerun. It goes to show there's no such thing as a sure thing.

Want some inside info - it was a just few Board members, not all as no official vote was taken (nor should be either). Cantor gave Dr Gross the ok and Gross, being new did what he was told to do. Can't blame Gross on the fire, just the new hire. We lost Ray Rice in all of this - really bad timing. SU football fell from grace, we were locked in an awful BE conference for football and the rest is history with the rise of both Rutgers & UConn football spoiling our traditional recruiting grounds.

However, it was a few Board members that ran Marrone out of town too but that is another story.

Now Shaffer is now making the same mistake that Grob did going outside of NYS to find recruits cause they are star struck. Wanna know how I really feel?

Marrone ran Marrone out of town. He's no dummy, he left when his stock was at it's peak and knew what was coming.

If GRob was hired because he interviews well, then Gross needs to hire this lady. Within two minutes of seeing GRob's introduction presser, I knew he was going to be a bad hire. I think (hope) it was more due to Pete Carroll putting a good word in.

star-trek-deanna-troi.jpg

If GRob was hired because he interviews well, then Gross needs to hire this lady. Within two minutes of seeing GRob's introduction presser, I knew he was going to be a bad hire. I think (hope) it was more due to Pete Carroll putting a good word in.

star-trek-deanna-troi.jpg

Can Deanna Troi coach?

what he did to Coach P following a GaTech game that wasn't anywhere near this ugly. We're still paying the price for it.
Because coach P's record with UCONN is a clear indicator that he should have been kept on at Syracuse.
Did you know that Paul and his staff made zero, that's right zero, adjustment or changes at halftime of that Georgia Tech game.
Their playbook was over 100 pages for a bowl game

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

At first I didn't understand the anger in this thread but then I realized how sick and tired I am of hearing this discussion. I feel like this board lost 56 - 0 by way of this thread.

That was solely on Dr Gross. The Dr did not want Marrone either - he actually wanted to get someone with previous HC experience but the decision was set up and done "by committee" and those on the committee wanted Marrone. Because Marrone found out that Gross was the only one that didn't want him, Gross & Marrone started off on the wrong foot and was never a good relationship even to the end.

Much more to it but it's over, Marrone is gone and it's time to move on.

Who's Marrone? Today during the ACC broadcast I kept hearing the broadcasters repeatedly say the prior coach was Maroni? ;)

I hope Shaffer turns out - really do - but he hired inexperienced friends and that worries me. We saw that today at GT where we got out coached again by a much more experienced group of coaches.

While getting the band back together all sounded good on paper based on their prior chemistry, the rubber is hitting the road. What does Shafer do next? I think the next month will set the stage for his tenure here. He won't get fired if he loses out, but next year will be crucial. I don't think anyone has tolerance for a multi year rebuilding process. We need to take a page out of Cincinnati's book on how to keep rolling after coaching change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom