I hope MSG was worth it for the B1G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hope MSG was worth it for the B1G

The fact of the matter is Chicago is within a reasonable driving distance (under six hours) of most of the Big 10. Like I said, the Midwest is a wash with the Carolinas and Georgia. The northeastern fans don't really lose anything.

I spent half my career in Wisconsin/Indiana, both within driving distance of Chicago. The only time I even saw a Syracuse hat or t-shirt was when we played Purdue in football. Ten plus years, nothing.

I see Syracuse shirts at the gym anytime I take a business trip to Virginia/NC/Atlanta. You are so insanely wrong on this, that I’m actually starting to think you’re trolling here.

(PS - being in the Midwest would be at best irrelevant to basketball in the long run - and would be absolutely disasterous for football. So I appriciate your consistency; all of your opinions related to Syracuse conference affiliation are bonkers).

Not specific to Cuse alums, but there are a ton of central NY transplants in the southeast who are quite fond of their hometown team. Can’t imagine there are a lot of transplanted CNYers who left for Ohio, Michigan, etc.

Being in the ACC saves me from having to watch the ads for combine tractors and such.

What constitutes solid? For the most part, Big 10 schools are in college towns. That doesn't mean they're inaccessible to alumni/fans from Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, DC, Philly, and St. Louis.

But alums don't live in detroit cleveland cincy or st louis.

they live in nyc, boston, dc, LA, philly, florida, chicago, atlanta, carolinas - i would venture to say that order is almost spot on too.

if you add in "locals who bleed orange and will attend the games" Florida, Atlanta, Carolinas all move wayyy up.

Not specific to Cuse alums, but there are a ton of central NY transplants in the southeast who are quite fond of their hometown team. Can’t imagine there are a lot of transplanted CNYers who left for Ohio, Michigan, etc.
The day after we beat Clemson, I went jogging at Falls Park on the Reedy River in downtown GVL in my Syracuse gear and must've seen at least 50 people in my 2-3 hours downtown representing Cuse. There was also a thread over 200 people deep celebrating the win in the Facebook group for us Yankees living in Greenville.

I also have a place in Atlanta and that city doesn't even need any explanation. Just walk around near the Tech campus on Cuse gameday.

Greenville, SC is the 4th fastest growing city in the country and the people moving here aren't from Nebraska... It's 75% northerners and 25% from overseas. Don't worry, I've already swayed some of the Germans who work for BMW that Syracuse should be their adopted team.

Atlanta, same thing.

South Florida is basically half NY/half Cuban. Drive around Fort Lauderdale/Boca/Miami and the only license plates you see are Florida and New York.

I can't speak for the other Atlantic seaboard cities but others here can. Atlanta/Greenville/South Florida, I've seen with my eyes our presence and it's only growing by leaps and bounds in these areas.

We should be in the Big Ten.

I am so glad we are not in the Big Ten. There is nothing attractive about that conference to me. Both football and basketball in that conference normally bores the heck out of me aside from a couple games a year in both. ACC is where we belong with all this conference alignment crap

How many ACC locales have a large number of alumni/fans?

We've represented very well on the road at almost all the new schools. Plenty of people here go to those games. Alumni and all the CNY transplants. We wouldn't draw flies in Madison, East Lansing, etc.

I spent half my career in Wisconsin/Indiana, both within driving distance of Chicago. The only time I even saw a Syracuse hat or t-shirt was when we played Purdue in football. Ten plus years, nothing.

I see Syracuse shirts at the gym anytime I take a business trip to Virginia/NC/Atlanta. You are so insanely wrong on this, that I’m actually starting to think you’re trolling here.

(PS - being in the Midwest would be at best irrelevant to basketball in the long run - and would be absolutely disasterous for football. So I appriciate your consistency; all of your opinions related to Syracuse conference affiliation are bonkers).
What am I wrong about exactly? I’m stating a preference. Being in the Big 10 wouldn’t change anything about Virginia. If Georgia Tech or UNC were to ever wind up in the Big 10, that problem would be solved.

The Big 10 sucks. The only reason they are in the garden this year is because they made a promise to rutgirls.

You have a very interesting perspective that you steadfastly refuse to cloud with messy things like facts. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue have very few Syracuse fans near the schools. I’d add in Michigan and Michigan State as having few alumni around. That’s half the Big Ten.
Agreed...I lived in Indiana for 6 years in the mid 80's. Anybody thinking we should be in the B1G over the ACC doesn't realize our fan base runs up and down I-95 and not really I-90 past Buffalo.

What am I wrong about exactly? I’m stating a preference. Being in the Big 10 wouldn’t change anything about Virginia. If Georgia Tech or UNC were to ever wind up in the Big 10, that problem would be solved.

Ask Maryland fans how they feel about the move.

But alums don't live in detroit cleveland cincy or st louis.

they live in nyc, boston, dc, LA, philly, florida, chicago, atlanta, carolinas - i would venture to say that order is almost spot on too.

if you add in "locals who bleed orange and will attend the games" Florida, Atlanta, Carolinas all move wayyy up.

The day after we beat Clemson, I went jogging at Falls Park on the Reedy River in downtown GVL in my Syracuse gear and must've seen at least 50 people in my 2-3 hours downtown representing Cuse. There was also a thread over 200 people deep celebrating the win in the Facebook group for us Yankees living in Greenville.

I also have a place in Atlanta and that city doesn't even need any explanation. Just walk around near the Tech campus on Cuse gameday.

Greenville, SC is the 4th fastest growing city in the country and the people moving here aren't from Nebraska... It's 75% northerners and 25% from overseas. Don't worry, I've already swayed some of the Germans who work for BMW that Syracuse should be their adopted team.

Atlanta, same thing.

South Florida is basically half NY/half Cuban. Drive around Fort Lauderdale/Boca/Miami and the only license plates you see are Florida and New York.

I can't speak for the other Atlantic seaboard cities but others here can. Atlanta/Greenville/South Florida, I've seen with my eyes our presence and it's only growing by leaps and bounds in these areas.

We've represented very well on the road at almost all the new schools. Plenty of people here go to those games. Alumni and all the CNY transplants. We wouldn't draw flies in Madison, East Lansing, etc.
Check the map that was posted earlier. We do have a comparable presence in Ohio. Florida is the biggest loss in this scenario and I acknowledged that from the start. I also wonder how much of the additional interest in the southeast is simply from being in the ACC. Did that interest exist before the move? Why wouldn’t that translate to another conference?

Check the map that was posted earlier. We do have a comparable presence in Ohio. Florida is the biggest loss in this scenario and I acknowledged that from the start. I also wonder how much of the additional interest in the southeast is simply from being in the ACC. Did that interest exist before the move? Why wouldn’t that translate to another conference?

The tipping point are the CNY transplants. The Carolinas are loaded with them, heck they're getting a Wegmans. Virginia is loaded with them, my kids lax and hoop games are stacked with kids and parents wearing Cuse stuff.

The tipping point are the CNY transplants. The Carolinas are loaded with them, heck they're getting a Wegmans. Virginia is loaded with them, my kids lax and hoop games are stacked with kids and parents wearing Cuse stuff.
Agreed. Most of the Cuse fans I've come across in Greenville aren't alumni, but are from CNY. I don't exactly understand why there's such a large "CNY to Carolinas" connection but I've heard the same about Raleigh and Charleston.

ATL seems to be more of an alumni connection.

Agreed. Most of the Cuse fans I've come across in Greenville aren't alumni, but are from CNY. I don't exactly understand why there's such a large "CNY to Carolinas" connection but I've heard the same about Raleigh and Charleston.

ATL seems to be more of an alumni connection.

Carrier, jobs? I guess that's it. And what the call halfbacks - people who leave NY to move to Florida, hate it and move halfway back.

To reiterate, nothing is lost or gained in Virginia by moving to the Big 10. Any figures to show the number of transplants in the Carolinas versus Chicago?

Carrier, jobs? I guess that's it. And what the call halfbacks - people who leave NY to move to Florida, hate it and move halfway back.
True, BMW and Michelin are hiring like crazy around Greenville and Boeing is doing the same in Charleston.

To reiterate, nothing is lost or gained in Virginia by moving to the Big 10. Any figures to show the number of transplants in the Carolinas versus Chicago?
I don't know but I'm sure whatever figures are shown will be dramatically more tilted to favor an ACC coastal/southeast landscape over the Midwest as years go on.

Northerners are moving to cities in NC/SC/GA/FL. The Midwest is...the Midwest. Outside of Chicago, it's a bunch of farm towns. Those growing cities are home/close by ACC Colleges.

UNC/Duke/State = Raleigh
Clemson = Greenville
Georgia Tech = Atlanta
Miami = Miami/Fort Lauderdale

All cities with growing populations and a growing NY presence.

I don't know but I'm sure whatever figures are shown will be dramatically more tilted to favor an ACC coastal/southeast landscape over the Midwest as years go on.

Northerners are moving to cities in NC/SC/GA/FL. The Midwest is...the Midwest. Outside of Chicago, it's a bunch of farm towns. Those growing cities are home/close by ACC Colleges.

VT/Wake/UNC/Duke/State = Raleigh/Charlotte
Clemson = Greenville
Georgia Tech = Atlanta
Miami = Miami/Fort Lauderdale

All cities with growing populations and a growing NY presence.

Fwiw, I was reading they had a sold out session at the big ten tournament for the first time in like 5 years this week

Fwiw, I was reading they had a sold out session at the big ten tournament for the first time in like 5 years this week
I'm sure they did ok at MSG but was that truly their goal? It just seems so small time to anyone not in the B1G.

Atlanta, same thing.

You jog for 3 hours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom