I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow | Syracusefan.com

I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow

GoSU96

Living Legend
that we don't see a bunch of same old, same old nonsense.

SU has played 17 games against teams that finished in the top 10 since 1987. The record is 1-16 with an average margin of -18.

Against teams that finished with 9 or more wins or ranked the record is 11-33-1.

I just hope people aren't going getting themselves too worked up and the marginal fans don't jump ship again if it's smackdown, which is more likely than not. There have as many losses by over 40 as by less than a TD.

Last edited:
I am very, very excited about tomorrow's game--mainly because I can't wait to see what Hunt can do against a top caliber team.

But I agree somewhat--the Tigers are a top 5 team for a reason, with tons of playmaking talent on offense. It is going to be a tough challenge.

I want to win--there are no moral victories when it comes to qualifying for a bowl. But given how good Clemson is, pragmatically this would be a pretty monumental upset. Doesn't mean we CAN'T win, just that it is unlikely. So what I want to see is a competitive game, where we're able to score some points and show that we aren't going to back down. That we belong on the same field with a top 10 team.

Beyond that--who knows? I sure didn't think we were going to be able to beat Louisville last year, let alone whip their a$$e$, and look what happened. If this thing is close in the fourth quarter, in front of a packed house, I like our chances.

More than anything, I want to see a competitive game. Come what may.

Last edited:

SU has played 17 games against teams that finished in the top 10 since 1987. The record is 1-16 with an average margin of -18.

I just hope people aren't going getting themselves too worked up and the marginal fans don't jump ship again if it's smackdown, which is more likely than not. There have as many losses by over 40 as by less than a TD.

The good news is that none of those games has any bearing on this one. Also the one win was last season against Louisville. If NC ST can be competitive so can SU! No doubt in my mind. Also I wonder If your boy DM was coaching if you'd be talking about smackdowns?

As long as we play more like NC ST and less like Wake did against them. With a chance in the 2nd half if we get a break or two.

my hope is that clemson isn't a team that finished top 10. i hope they're really a 15-20 type team in the end. there's something about them where i think they're not as good as they should be on paper

If Hunt is as good as the board has been claiming he is then there is no way we lose by 40. If he is going to be our QB for the next three years then he should be able to put up points on the Clemson D. Winning and Losing that is entirely different and takes more than just Hunt playing well. But if he is this good then he will be able to score on Clemson D.

As long as we play more like NC ST and less like Wake did against them. With a chance in the 2nd half if we get a break or two.

Wake is absolutely terrible this year.

Not sure this is right. Beat top 5 Va Tech in 01 and 02. Bet #9 Louisville last year.

But otherwise I agree wit the sentiment.

I am very, very excited about tomorrow's game--mainly because I can't wait to see what Hunt can do against a top caliber team.

But I agree somewhat--the Tigers are a top 5 team for a reason, with tons of playmaking talent on offense. It is going to be a tough challenge.

I want to win--there are no moral victories when it comes to qualifying for a bowl. But given how good Clemson is, pragmatically this would be a pretty monumental upset. Doesn't mean we CAN'T win, just that it is unlikely. So what I want to see is a competitive game, where we're able to score some points and show that we aren't going to back down. That we belong on the same field with a top 10 team.

Beyond that--who knows? I sure didn't think we were going to be able to beat Louisville last year, and look what happened. If this thing is close in the fourth quarter, in front of a packed house, I like our chances.

More than anything, I want to see a competitive game. Come what may.

That Lville team was missing alot of guys on defense. SU crushed them, it was a legit win, but that explains the margin. But this is a step up in class.

It's a measuring stick game, but this season is about NCSt, GT, Maryland and Pitt.

Not sure this is right. Beat top 5 Va Tech in 01 and 02. Bet #9 Louisville last year.

i think it's where teams ended up

but that's selection bias

teams that end up in the top 10 don't lose

so who does have a good record against teams that end up not losing?

Against teams that finished with 9 or more wins or ranked the record is 11-33-1.

Unfortunately if Syracuse does get blasted the marginal fans will absolutely jump ship using the mantra "same old syracuse". Its imperative we at least play a competitive game, I think most Syracue fans would agree its unlikely we win this game but we can't afford a NW repeat.

I think Shafer should use your post as his pre game speech. Inspiring

The good news is that none of those games has any bearing on this one. Also the one win was last season against Louisville. If NC ST can be competitive so can SU! No doubt in my mind. Also I wonder If your boy DM was coaching if you'd be talking about smackdowns?

1) Louisville didn't finish in the top 10 last year.
2) Where did I say SU can't be competitive?
3) Who the coach with has NOTHING to do with it. Period. Get over it, it's not an attack on Shafer, so just stop it already.

If we look like Wake I'm going to be pissed. Wake is horrible, bottom 110+ bad.

we are all resigned in our minds su will lose- our hearts say otherwise

you have to feel better today just because of how the offense has reacted to mr T at qb- we might wake up sunday pitying the fools

this could be the game that lets the nation see that su does have talent-its just been unknown

Where they finished, not what they were ranked at the time. Lville also lost to UConn the week after they played us. VT finished 18th in 2002.

i think it's where teams ended up

but that's selection bias

teams that end up in the top 10 don't lose

so who does have a good record against teams that end up not losing?

No duh, but you can also judge how they do against those teams.

1) Louisville didn't finish in the top 10 last year.
2) Where did I say SU can't be competitive?
3) Who the coach with has NOTHING to do with it. Period. Get over it, it's not an attack on Shafer, so just stop it already.
1) if SU ever beats anyone in Top Ten during the year, as a result of the loss, I doubt the team will finish in Top Ten. So that's not a good comparison.

I think Shafer should use your post as his pre game speech. Inspiring

I'd hope not.

I hope we don't hear "Bad Coach" if they are down 20 in the 3rd.

t
I'd hope not.

I hope we don't hear "Bad Coach" if they are down 20 in the 3rd.
two things, The time for reality checks is later the pregame build up is for optimism founded or not. Second, if we get blown out your going to get those overreactions anyway, it cant be stopped .

- Yes, very curious how Hunt will do against a real team. A great team.
- Can our receivers win any one on one battles?
- Can we tackle in the open field? I have a feeling they will go the way USC and Northwestern gashed us in the past. Short passes/bubble screens. Gotta identify those, get off blocks, and blow them up. Tackle.

We can't get worked up. Some of it is bad timing. This is a Clemson high water mark this year. Would have been better if we could have had VT in the Dome this year. Even Miami, who is playing well, isn't on Clemson's level. But that's just the way the schedule worked out this year.

I'm just hoping that our worst case scenario mirrors BC last week. Even though they were outmanned, they let FSU know they were in for a game.

Best case scenario, we're closer to this team than the experts think, and it's anyone's game in the 4th quarter.

The one thing I'm not doing is pointing to the Northwestern game as a comparison. Maybe it will turn out to be. But I always thought that game was going to be tough for us, especially if we lost to Penn State. Not only on the road, but coming off all that prep and buzz for PSU, then have to turn around one week later. We have a different mindset now.

You suck! I know some people might say "Don't shoot the messenger" but no one asked for this message to be delivered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom