I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow

t

two things, The time for reality checks is later the pregame build up is for optimism founded or not. Second, if we get blown out your going to get those overreactions anyway, it cant be stopped .

Optimism is fine, when it leads into expectations/sense of entitlement that's when people get their feelings hurt, and that's when the bashing begins. I don't want to see the outrage that has been part of previous beatdowns. That garbage comes from people without a clue.

Nothing wrong with hopeing for the best, but recognizing reality at the same time. I absolutely know they can win this game, and it wouldn't be huge upset, the program is in a much better position and belongs on the same field with these guys, but at the sametime, I've seen decent SU teams get boat raced, just like I've seen SU do the same to those same programs.

No one gave us a chance in Hell in 1984 vs. #1 Ranked Nebraska. Seeing is believing, ANYTHING is possible.

GO ORANGE !

1) Louisville didn't finish in the top 10 last year.
2) Where did I say SU can't be competitive?
3) Who the coach with has NOTHING to do with it. Period. Get over it, it's not an attack on Shafer, so just stop it already.
where was west virginia ranked when we smacked them two years ago?

No one gave us a chance in Hell in 1984 vs. #1 Ranked Nebraska. Seeing is believing, ANYTHING is possible.

GO ORANGE !
we were a 28 pt underdog in that one.

I only want them to be competitive for me not to be bummed about the game. I don't expect some massive blowout if we lose. Clemson is only favored by 2 TD's. They may by #3 but we know how we can play in the Dome over history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the gators they had whipped bama the week before we hammered them

not directed at you Go but this...we're to the point where we should expect that we can compete and win, not hope we can just keep it close.

Don't know, they ended up 17th.

Wouldn't any team have a similar record against teams that that have those types of records? Also the comparison makes no sense because you have no idea where Clemson will end the year. Your assuming that they will end up in the top 10. That makes it an unfair and frankly foolish comparison and overall statement.

not directed at you Go but this...we're to the point where we should expect that we can compete and win, not hope we can just keep it close.

In that regard, this game is going to be a good measuring stick.

We can't get worked up. Some of it is bad timing. This is a Clemson high water mark this year. Would have been better if we could have had VT in the Dome this year. Even Miami, who is playing well, isn't on Clemson's level. But that's just the way the schedule worked out this year.

I'm just hoping that our worst case scenario mirrors BC last week. Even though they were outmanned, they let FSU know they were in for a game.

Best case scenario, we're closer to this team than the experts think, and it's anyone's game in the 4th quarter.

The one thing I'm not doing is pointing to the Northwestern game as a comparison. Maybe it will turn out to be. But I always thought that game was going to be tough for us, especially if we lost to Penn State. Not only on the road, but coming off all that prep and buzz for PSU, then have to turn around one week later. We have a different mindset now.

Not only a different mindset, but a different QB.

I agree with you Phat. We should be competitive in this game. I think this SU team is better than last years. In the first 2 games we had horrific QB play. Allen threw 6 interceptions, it was ridiclous and gave us no chance to win. I think that Hunt shows real skill at the position and I don't care who he was playing against. I've seen every other SU QB play agaist poor teams and have never seen any of them play better than Hunt has. I don't think he's going to out there and suddenly be a different player.

The fact that the SU basketball team is so good is not the only reason fans go to the game in droves. They go because the games are an event. We need that same attitude to penetrate the football fan base. Tomorrow's big crowd will help establish that win or lose. Got to have a big, loud, enthusiastic crowd that makes those fair weather fans want to come back. Of course winning would be huge.

I'm pretty sure SU was ranked at the time and SU ended up finishing 11th.

I'm worried that people are getting ahead of themselves and it could lead to unwarranted backlash.

I don't want people declaring Shafer a bust the way Milhouse does with QB's.

If Saturday goes south badly I don't want to see the "bad hire", "over his head", "Gross screwed it up again", "should have gone outside" nonsense based on losing to this Clemson team.

Last edited:

Against most teams at home, sure, but to EXPECT to WIN against this particular team is unfair, because this program is not at that point. Acknowledging reality is not being negative.

The last thing I'm doing is bashing Shafer.

I only want them to be competitive for me not to be bummed about the game. I don't expect some massive blowout if we lose. Clemson is only favored by 2 TD's. They may by #3 but we know how we can play in the Dome over history.
This is about how I feel. I want us to look solid, and the reason we lose is that we played a better team, but we still make plays and cover the spread. I really don't believe we will win. Let's be honest, if Northwestern could destroy our offense, what can Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins do to us?

But again, I want us to be competitive, make some plays, and show flashes that we can be a scrappy, solid team that can get to 7 wins and a bowl this season.

Not only a different mindset, but a different QB.

Agree. I was thinking more about the defense, but that's also relevant because Hunt seems to have energized the entire team. Northwestern completely shredded our D, especially in that first half. We're not going to be confused with the Steel Curtain, but I don't think the defense will look quite that bad again. Hopefully the DL continues to build on the confidence they have built since. Tulane's OL won't be confused with the Redskins hogs, but our front four completely destroyed them for 4 quarters. It's not often we see an SU DL do that, even against bad OLs.

Wouldn't any team have a similar record against teams that that have those types of records? Also the comparison makes no sense because you have no idea where Clemson will end the year. Your assuming that they will end up in the top 10. That makes it an unfair and frankly foolish comparison and overall statement.

There's a reason why people are looking at Clemson as a national championship contender. Right now it's a pretty good assumption, as long as they stay healthy.

Shafer has said this is the best offense he's seen in 25 years of coaching, best team he's faced in the 4 years and 4 games since he's been here.

There's a reason why people are looking at Clemson as a national championship contender. Right now it's a pretty good assumption, as long as they stay healthy.

Shafer has said this is the best offense he's seen in 25 years of coaching, best team he's faced in the 4 years and 4 games since he's been here.

I gotta say I think some people are getting themselves way over hyped as you noted, Clemson is a really really really good team. A few bad plays by us and this game could get out of hand quick. I hope people can keep some prespective if this game gets out of hand and ugly.

If you compare the NC State and Wake Forest outcomes, you have to also compare Clemson to Clemson in those two games. At the start of the NC State game, our first string offense had not been on the field at the same time together in 19 days. We came out tight as a drum with Boyd pressing and badly overthrowing passes for most of the first half. The second half was a different story. Boyd settled down and we successfully adjusted our offensive sets. Think what you will about the NC State called back TD. Personally, I think he was probably in bounds and the score should have stood. If the ref had not blown the whistle I believe the booth would have overturned it. Even so, with those points off the board our defense did not play with the same intensity on the drive that netted all those 4th down conversions for the Pack. Therefore, if the called back play had stood, I don't believe we would have given up the last TD and the net result would have been the same. Also, with a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter, we were more focused on burning clock on offense than scoring more points.

As for Wake, I agree. They are awful. We could have scored way more points than we did against them. Consider the fact that we were up 21-0 on them half way through the first quarter then we suddenly went 3 and out 3 times in a row. If you go back and watch that part of the game, it's clear that we temporarily changed our play called . As soon as we went back to the play mix that we opened the game with, we scored two more TD's. In my opinion, Chad Morris did that to keep the score from getting out of hand too early. If we had been up by an insurmountable score at the half he would not have been able to let the second string run the entire playbook without it looking like we were trying to embarrass our opponent. Even doing that, we scored 56 points. I believe we could have scored 80.

Having said all that, while I expect us to come out ready to play tomorrow and execute well, I will be surprised if anything about the game is easy. I don't believe the steam level in the dome is going to wear us down. We play too many players on both sides of the ball and the team has been practicing indoors with the AC off all week. In South Carolina. I do believe we're going to get a great effort from a talented opponent that believes they will win the game. Your crowd also has a chance to affect the outcome. I can't wait to experience it.

Oh yeah, I still think Clemson wins.

Spot the ball!

Last edited:

That could be true but it could also be coach speak.

I also think some are underestimating how good SU is on both Offensive and defensive lines.

- Yes, very curious how Hunt will do against a real team. A great team.
- Can our receivers win any one on one battles?
- Can we tackle in the open field? I have a feeling they will go the way USC and Northwestern gashed us in the past. Short passes/bubble screens. Gotta identify those, get off blocks, and blow them up. Tackle.
Remember that little screen pass against Missouri last year, went for a long TD? That is what I fear.

I'm pretty sure SU was ranked at the time and SU ended up finishing 11th.

I'm worried that people are getting ahead of themselves and it could lead to unwarranted backlash.

I don't want people declaring Shafer a bust the way Milhouse does with QB's.

If Saturday goes south badly I don't want to see the "bad hire", "over his head", "Gross screwed it up again", "should have gone outside" nonsense based on losing to this Clemson team.

Most of the people who might say that are (a) the diehards here who say it everytime we lose to anyone; (b) the 15K casual fans who haven't shown up in the Dome for most of the past decade.

It really doesn't matter, is what I'm saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom