I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I hope that if things go the way they are likely to tomorrow

I'm pretty sure SU was ranked at the time and SU ended up finishing 11th.

I'm worried that people are getting ahead of themselves and it could lead to unwarranted backlash.

I don't want people declaring Shafer a bust the way Milhouse does with QB's.

If Saturday goes south badly I don't want to see the "bad hire", "over his head", "Gross screwed it up again", "should have gone outside" nonsense based on losing to this Clemson team.
the way Millhouse does with qbs? How about the way Millhouse does to head coaches that hve the temerity to punt?

I also think some are underestimating how good SU is on both Offensive and defensive lines.

Syracuse has been OK on the O and Defensive lines this year but far from great. We have struggled to get the run game going against good teams and to get a pass rush from the D ends. Going to need a much better performance from both tomorrow.

Most of the people who might say that are (a) the diehards here who say it everytime we lose to anyone; (b) the 15K casual fans who haven't shown up in the Dome for most of the past decade.

It really doesn't matter, is what I'm saying.

It matters some.

I also think some are underestimating how good SU is on both Offensive and defensive lines.

Eh, Northwestern and an ok Penn St. team mostly dominated us up front. The other wins were vs cupcakes.

Eh, Northwestern and an ok Penn St. team mostly dominated us up front. The other wins were vs cupcakes.

How dare you not think were Alabama, the late 90;s Miami teams, and the early 90's fun and gun Florida teams combined.

My fear and concern is Hunts inexperience and he gets the deer in the headlights effect from all of this, and it exposes the one weak link of his which is arm strength which results in ints. That's my glass half empty look.

The rest of my posts this week was the glass half full, heres hoping half full wins out!

Last edited:
the way Millhouse does with qbs? How about the way Millhouse does to head coaches that hve the temerity to punt?
punting really worked out great for the bills yesterday

The fact that the SU basketball team is so good is not the only reason fans go to the game in droves. They go because the games are an event. We need that same attitude to penetrate the football fan base. Tomorrow's big crowd will help establish that win or lose. Got to have a big, loud, enthusiastic crowd that makes those fair weather fans want to come back. Of course winning would be huge.

...but the hoops games are an event because the team is good.

At some point we gotta recognize that you cannot consistently draw fans if you cannot win. Talking about turning games into an "event" is pointless if the team isn't winning.

Don't get me wrong, creating a better game day atmosphere might drive up demand a tiny bit when the team is good and prevent the total attendance collapse we saw during the GRob years. The time for us to create Syracuse football as an "event" was when the team was good - but for a variety of reasons that wasn't where SU/Jake/Buzz focused their efforts. Then Gross came in and did try new things to make the game day atmosphere better - but he was trying it on a team that was 1-11. That was as pointless as the second window at McDonalds.

The order is going to be:
1) Get good at football again (at least play in an ACC championship game)
2) Try to improve the game day atmosphere the following season
3) Hope the team stays good enough that your marketing efforts bear some fruit, and can sustain attendance in the lean years.

We haven't even started step 1 yet - so fans are going to be as fickle as they have historically been. Deal with it rather than starting threads to proactively complain about it.

The problem isn't thinking you could win and then losing, posting crap on the board. It's believing you'll probably lose because we always lose and then posting crap on the board.

I try not to read anything here for 6 hours after a loss - and then not post anything for 12. Most if the worst stuff happens right after a loss and then takes a half week to work itself out. It's always the "sky is falling" response right after the game.

I agree with Bleed Orange. I'm going to be pumped and expect to win on Saturday. I'm a fan. If the boys get blown out - I will stay away from the board until Tuesday. And then be right back at it again. But I will for damn sure not be hedging my expectations before the game. The glass is full to the brim! War Damn Otto!

I'm pretty sure SU was ranked at the time and SU ended up finishing 11th.

I'm worried that people are getting ahead of themselves and it could lead to unwarranted backlash.

I don't want people declaring Shafer a bust the way Milhouse does with QB's.

If Saturday goes south badly I don't want to see the "bad hire", "over his head", "Gross screwed it up again", "should have gone outside" nonsense based on losing to this Clemson team.

I guess I was right.

Do you think some of the freakouts here are warranted?

i am really worried about passing offense and passing defense. why are wake and south carolina st able to throw the ball against Clemson but we can't?

penn state, nw and clemson all had their best passing offense and defense against (among major schools, anyway)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom