I hope the ACC adds UConn... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hope the ACC adds UConn...

Why do we care if Louisville goes to the Big 12? Cincy too for that matter?

I only care about the 4 state schools in VA & NC and the southern footprint of the league staying put. That happens and we're good. That doesn't happen and we're screwed.

1) In another thread:

"A prominent official from an ACC school told me Louisville and UConn both have something to offer but stressed academics will matter to presidents. This favors UConn, widely considered a top-75 national university. The Hartford area also is larger than Louisville's"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ng-expansion-but-16-teams-unlikely-per-source

2) Certain FSU and Clemson hyperfans keep screaming about "football schools vs BB schools"

Aside from money, the Presidents care about "institutional fit" or academic standing/reputation. Geography is also important.

3) This weekend and last said all that is needed about "football vs BB schools"

Last week SU decisively beat UL; this week Pitt beat RU and UConn beat UL. Last year's seeming wonder was WVU, a team SU also beat decisively. This year they aren't even top 25.

4) It's a lot easier to upgrade a team than create a major, well rated, state University like UConn located in affluent, northeast markets that in combination with SU, BC, Pitt and ND could help ACC become the major conference in the northeast, New England, and NYC metro region.

Lets just take Vanderbilt. That would please everyone.

:p

Lets just take Vanderbilt. That would please everyone.

:p

Silly.

Only AFTER we force ND to join for football, and add Penn State.

If the number is 14 then UCONN comes in, ok fine if they are the team. When ND comes we have 15, which is why we need another to make 16.
All I am saying is get the best next team now before they go somewhere else. At some point we will need that team and if we can have more options to pick from that will end up being stronger for everyone in the conference. Is this way off base?

Don't agree with 14. If we add one to get to 14 then where does ND go eventually. get the next best team NOW!
Just my opinion.....we will see
Odd number works for basketball, but not for football.

Take both...UConn and Louisville. Sigh...didn't any of you guys play Risk as a kid?

Huge mistake not taking Rutgers...I think the ACC got caught with their pants down on this thinking that they could add Rutgers after/if ND comes on board full time.

The choice now needs to be UConn, not because they are a better get than L'ville as an entire program (they are not), but because they are on the East Coast, are the 4th most densely populated state in the country, and a much bigger tv market 30th (1,014,990 tv homes) vs 50th (667,230 tv homes) http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/nielsen-local-television-market-universe-estimates/5037/

Huge mistake not taking Rutgers...I think the ACC got caught with their pants down on this thinking that they could add Rutgers after/if ND comes on board full time.

The choice now needs to be UConn, not because they are a better get than L'ville as an entire program (they are not), but because they are on the East Coast, are the 4th most densely populated state in the country, and a much bigger tv market 30th (1,014,990 tv homes) vs 50th (667,230 tv homes) http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/nielsen-local-television-market-universe-estimates/5037/

I admire and respect what the athletic departments at both institutions have accomplished.

Imho, the ACC can't worry about markets now. They need the best football program they can get to join.

But, if it weren't for academics, this would be a no-brainer.

Who has the better football program now? Louisville (though props to UConn to getting a decent program up and running so quickly, another attestment to their athletic department)
Who has the better football coach in place? Louisville
Who has someone in the wings should their football coach be poached? Louisville (assuming the replacement isn't grabbed this off season first)
Who has better football attendance? Louisville
Who gets 25k to the Gator and 40K to the Orange Bowl? Louisville
As a result of the above, who would the OB want the ACC to choose? Louisville

Cheers,
Neil

I admire and respect what the athletic departments at both institutions have accomplished.

Imho, the ACC can't worry about markets now. They need the best football program they can get to join.

But, if it weren't for academics, this would be a no-brainer.

Who has the better football program now? Louisville (though props to UConn to getting a decent program up and running so quickly, another attestment to their athletic department)
Who has the better football coach in place? Louisville
Who has someone in the wings should their football coach be poached? Louisville (assuming the replacement isn't grabbed this off season first)
Who has better football attendance? Louisville
Who gets 25k to the Gator and 40K to the Orange Bowl? Louisville
As a result of the above, who would the OB want the ACC to choose? Louisville

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, do you think it matters though? I agree that UL is a better choice from a pure football standpoint, but will it do anything meaningful to keep this conference together?

Neil, do you think it matters though? I agree that UL is a better choice from a pure football standpoint, but will it do anything meaningful to keep this conference together?

If one assumes neither UNC nor FSU have totally given up on the ACC then yes, in subtle ways moreso than obvious ways.

It's a delicate balance since UNC (and Tobacco Road) want to keep the conference strong in terms of academics while FSU (and Clemson) want the league's members to show their commitment to football.

In the last round of expansion academics won out mainly because the football schools were led to believe taking SU and Pitt was the best way to get ND on board. And that proved to be partially correct.

But this time, the ND carrot isn't there. The ACC has gotten the best they could possibly get from the Irish until the new playoff system has gone through five to six years. In that round FSU and Clemson (despite whining and threatening to go to the Big 12 which I still believe was more an act for the SEC than wanting in the Big 12) ultimately did what the Tobacco Road crowd wanted. This time FSU and Clemson may think it's time for Tobacco Road to acquiesce to what they want (again assuming they even want to make it work). It's not that they feel that much strongly about Louisville than UConn, just the underlying principle of what is this conference truly about - athletics with football at the forefront or academics?

I actually am heartened that it looks now like it will only be a 1-team expansion. A 3 three team expansion that did not include ND as in full for football had desperation of losing other ACC teams all over it. And that may still happen.

Those are my thoughts on the topic. I've been known to be wrong at least once each day.

Cheers,
Neil

I could care less who is added unless their initials are N and D; I only care about who's leaving and how many are going. At this point it's the only thing that matters.

Okay, North Dakota it is!

Both programs have merit. UConn offers more long term value for the league.

what about temple and that #4 ranked philly market?

id rather have 1 of the directional floridas over storz, temple too.

Not to long ago, SU had a strong hold on CT and only had BC to contend with on the recuiting trail. Then Rutger's got going and UConn went all in for BE football. SU now has little to do with CT, a one time hot spot.
I feel that if UConn dies on the BE vine, then that state could open up for us again.
That being said, come on L'Ville!

Do some of you people really think Georgia Tech is going to a conference like the Big 12?? How the hell do you think that a school that requires even its history majors to take Calculus and Gen Bio/Chem is going to compete against a bastion of scholarship like Oklahoma State or Texas Tech? GT sees its present and future as an academic heavyweight, not as a "football school."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom