I keep seeing "We scored 37" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I keep seeing "We scored 37"

How many points should we score when our QB clearly has arm/shoulder problems, our RBs are middling at best and our receivers are either mediocre veterans or inexperienced freshmen?

How many points should we score when our QB clearly has arm/shoulder problems, our RBs are middling at best and our receivers are either mediocre veterans or inexperienced freshmen?
All of them. 7 every drive.

Against Pitt? 45 works yesterday.

372 total yards wasn't great against a very bad defense. Couldn't get the run of pass going consistently. Need to push the ball down the field more. That's what the real Briles offense is. Spread you sideline to sidelines, push the ball down the field, and pound the run once you have them spread. We have been running a ton of power stuff. Mostly you need an accurate QB.

In most cases, you score 37 points and lose, the problem ain't your offense.
Yet in this case Dungey's errors led directly to 13 points for the opposition. Those 13 points had nothing to do with our defense at all. In fact our defense kept if from being 21 points lost by our offense.

In most cases, you score 37 points and lose, the problem ain't your offense.

True, but its a different time in college fb. Scoring in the 30s is very average. Also, when you play Dino's style, all the rules are changed. our O hasn't consistently moved the ball all year, in rhythm, crisp, and sustained. too many high tempo 3AOs and this gives the other offense way more possessions and our 3 unsubbed lbs more snaps and less rest.

Funny, we play the T2 bc the coaches think it is most complimentary to a fast paced O and gives them a blow as the scheme is bend not break, everything in front. Remember that talk? So which way is it?

372 total yards wasn't great against a very bad defense. Couldn't get the run of pass going consistently. Need to push the ball down the field more. That's what the real Briles offense is. Spread you sideline to sidelines, push the ball down the field, and pound the run once you have them spread. We have been running a ton of power stuff. Mostly you need an accurate QB.

Agree, we haven't pushed the ball downfield, taken shots. Completed or not it opens up the intermediate game.

we are sinking in yards per play again. down to 67.

down to 90th in yards per play defense.

it's going to be another year of whiteknuckling after doing well against big time programs isn't it...

37 was plenty. The main problem was that our D failed to keep them to 36 points or less.

Our D held them to under 30. They weren't responsible for the stripped fumble return.

We were always going to drop on both metrics after playing Clemson, due to their overall talent.

The Pitt effect is a lot more concerning.

Agree, we haven't pushed the ball downfield, taken shots. Completed or not it opens up the intermediate game.
89th in yards per play against P5
37th in yards per play defense against P5

We were always going to drop on both metrics after playing Clemson, due to their overall talent.

The Pitt effect is a lot more concerning.
some of that disparity between the different metrics that go summarizes (love those posts) might go away in a bad way

This is an odd rally cry to me.

We got 9 points because our out of nowhere kicker is made out of ice water.

We scored on some short fields. Had some drives end up with field goals that ideally go for TDs.

The Custis bomb could have easily been called incomplete.

It wasn't a great 37.

If you're going to look at it that way, then our defense didn't give up a horrible 44. Pitt got lucky a few times as well...

Or more than 45

We had opportunities. The passing game was inefficient. Only 195 yards on 38 passes. 20 incompletions, 2 interceptions.

Running game was just so so. Our best offense was broken plays where Dungey took off or scrambled and found somebody open. Other than the first drive and maybe one other, it never felt like we were really firing on all cylinders, and there was a downright ugly long stretch in the first half.

we are sinking in yards per play again. down to 67.

down to 90th in yards per play defense.

it's going to be another year of whiteknuckling after doing well against big time programs isn't it...

1 game doesn’t make a trend.

Our “peer” programs are worse at the moment. It’s easy to get lost in the Pitt game and think that’s who we are.

The problem is the defense!!!! How many times did Pitt run consecutive times up the middle and our D made no adjustments??? And our tackling and angles are horrendous at times. Comes back to coaching to a large degree

We had opportunities. The passing game was inefficient. Only 195 yards on 38 passes. 20 incompletions, 2 interceptions.

Running game was just so so. Our best offense was broken plays where Dungey took off or scrambled and found somebody open. Other than the first drive and maybe one other, it never felt like we were really firing on all cylinders, and there was a downright ugly long stretch in the first half.

I agree. Just convert FG to TD, or have less TO.

Played our worst game on O and still took them to OT.

It was an ugly loss. The run D worries me. But I think our floor is still relatively high.

If you're going to look at it that way, then our defense didn't give up a horrible 44. Pitt got lucky a few times as well...

That fumble return for a TD could have been blown dead. The series before they whistled a similar play dead on us going into the end zone.

Dino was right - 2 less TO’s by either team and they win going away.

Again, we have more control over how we perform on offense than we do on defense.

1 game doesn’t make a trend.

Our “peer” programs are worse at the moment. It’s easy to get lost in the Pitt game and think that’s who we are.
those numbers are for the whole year

really its too bad the passing offense has taken a bit back because the running game this year with last years passing game would be fine. i still think the oline is just playing at a c+ and thats whats holding everything back. add in the throwing issues 29 INC in an offense that makes throws easy is too many. 28-38 is where it needed to be and thats easily 100+ more yds.

we are grinding out points. nothing is easy still it was 14-0 we make a bad play on D and a fumble and its game on..

2 games where if the offense scores the TD or the D makes the stop we win..

2 weeks to fix it and UNC beat Pitt on the road so it wont be easy other than the hopefully get crushed by VT this week. we are still probably last in dynamic play makers on offense in the league . get us to the middle and we will be fine.

Ive not complained about calls during my years on the board, but I thought that fumble was absolute bs

Looks like the general opinion, but watching in the stadium Dungey's momentum was still moving forward aided by OL push. Granted he was held up and the play was virtually over but as lonmg as the push forward continues I understand allowing the play to proceed. Don't think the call was as egregiously bad as perceived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom