I know I am a blowhard, and I lived through the grob years and will | Syracusefan.com

I know I am a blowhard, and I lived through the grob years and will

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Certainly stick around through the madrone years but my level of enthusiasm is basically at around the grob level at this point. The biggest issue right now is we suck in all aspects. In addition, we don't seem to have a solid foundation for success built at the skill spots. I really wish we didn't have to watch another year of Nassib as well.

We do not suck. I have it on good authority in another thread that we absolutely do not suck. Careful where you go with this one.

44cuse

At least you can see that the defense will be better next year -- possibly by a lot.
Specials could not fall farther -- have to get better when you add some more LBs and safeties to the mix and when some of those guys playing specials (Desir is an example) have a chance to get stronger.
It hasn't happened for SU lately (meaning, under Marrone), but sometimes frosh can contribute right away in skill positions. Some of the redshirts can fill the two openings on the OL -- Alexander looks like he can play, which means only one guy needs to be as good as Pugh was in his RF year. As for those skill positions, we need one RB to really emerge (Gulley, MacFarlane or someone yet to be named); there will be better depth than we had this year -- and possibly that change of pace running QB in Broyld.

Yesterday was the most difficult game to watch since Miami OH in 2007. We have hit rock bottom in Marrone's tenure. How far he bounces back next year will determine my view on him.

It is amazing how quickly this program went from a "signature win" to the low point of Marrone's tenure. Only Illinois's slide this year was more drastic. OK, Maryland's slide at the end of the game yesterday is up there too.

I would expect the defense to get better and hopefully a shakeup on both the offense and in special teams. Our kicking has been OK this year; its the rest of the special teams, which are basically measured by effort, that have been sub-standard.

It is amazing how quickly this program went from a "signature win" to the low point of Marrone's tenure. Only Illinois's slide this year was more drastic. OK, Maryland's slide at the end of the game yesterday is up there too.

I would expect the defense to get better and hopefully a shakeup on both the offense and in special teams. Our kicking has been OK this year; its the rest of the special teams, which are basically measured by effort, that have been sub-standard.

I really don't believe it is lack of effort on specials. We just don't have the players at the key positions -- the guys who typically man specials are the safeties, an occasional WR like David Tyree, linebackers, TEs, FBs. We are very thin and inexperienced at those positions. Watch the gunners some time (Graham & Kobena) and you will see what I mean.

I really don't believe it is lack of effort on specials. We just don't have the players at the key positions -- the guys who typically man specials are the safeties, an occasional WR like David Tyree, linebackers, TEs, FBs. We are very thin and inexperienced at those positions. Watch the gunners some time (Graham & Kobena) and you will see what I mean.

I notice good effort by the gunners, I agree with you. But special teams is often described as ordinary players making extraordinary plays. We just don't have it. Does a lack of depth impact this area of the team? Sure. But there is still a fundamental difference between what this team can produce with its Special Teams versus what is is actually producing. There are players who are doing a great job, but in football you need all 11 players to do their job or you fail as a unit. I believe that is what we are seeing.

Here's hoping we can get a few more of those LB/TE/FB-types you mentioned who can make this unit better.

The posts at the end of next year will be interesting. We have a lot of young players of defesne and I've said from the beginning it will be interesting to watch them grow up. Right now they are a bunch of untalented slow-pokes who need to get recruited over. Will we still think so a year from now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom