I may be Marek's cousin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I may be Marek's cousin

az jo
:)

Sorry, all, for this little Hungarian diversion here, but I was astounded when someone (Shark) started to reply to me in Hungarian.

We will now return to your regularly scheduled English-language programming

Last edited:
If this turns into a Hungarian board I’m outta here.

The part of Hungary from which my grandparents emigrated is now in Slovakia. Before she died, my mother maintained correspondence with our relatives in Bratislava. Does that make me Slovakian? It's a small country; I may be Marek's cousin.

Same for me. My great-grandmother lived in Leles which is now in eastern Slovakia but was a part of Hungary at the time.

isn't one of the perks of a board of trustee member to be able to obtain a DNA swab on request to run Marek through 23 and me to see if you are related?

The part of Hungary from which my grandparents emigrated is now in Slovakia. Before she died, my mother maintained correspondence with our relatives in Bratislava. Does that make me Slovakian? It's a small country; I may be Marek's cousin.

Very cool possibility!

I can't help but think of the Saturday Night Live skit whenever I hear "Bratislava" - the Festrunk Brothers, "Two wild & crazy guys!" LOL

Igen ("Yes" in Hungarian)).

For those who don't read Hungarian.. what Shark said is :
"There are two types of people in the world, the Hungarians and the people who want to be Hungarians"
I was married to a woman from Hungary at one time. It’s a very difficult language to try and grasp. I just remember Ege shege dre (for making a toast). And how to say six beers. Hat sor. With the two dots over the “o”. Also nem tudom. I used that for everything else.

There is a Slovak (not Slovakian) player from the same region in eastern Slovakia as your grandparents. His name is Michael Cekovsky. Plays Center for Maryland. My grandfather, Izidor Cekovsky, is also from that region.

If you think you're 'Slovakian", you aren't. :cool:

My grandfather was Slovak. He was also a real creep who molested me as a young girl. I had no memory of it until very recently. I did know he beat up my grandmother a lot.

Totally different personality from Marek.

My grandfather was Slovak. He was also a real creep who molested me as a young girl. I had no memory of it until very recently. I did know he beat up my grandmother a lot.

Totally different personality from Marek.
Very sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, I don't think problems like that are limited to Slovakians, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom