I met John Wallace leaving the Garden after UConn | Syracusefan.com

I met John Wallace leaving the Garden after UConn

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Just thought I would share. Put a nice spin on a terrible night. Good guy, very friendly.

Now I have met 4 members of the '96 team -44, O (who i met in spring '99 when he was picking up his daughter from the day care my now-wife then-girlfriend worked at right by campus), JB the Reef, and Janulis.

my favorite SU player of all time.

Not even Carmelo captivated me the way JW did during ‘95-96. Completely and nearly single handedly carried a band of misfit (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) characters to within a couple possessions of a national title against a juggernaut Kentucky team. Best single year I have ever seen an SU player have. And I know I’ll probably get killed for not saying Melo in ‘03...

Met him at Famous Daves BBQ in Rochester in Greece back about 3 years ago. When my wife and I walked in to take our seat, he saw me all decked out in my Syracuse hoodie and hat. He had on a Knicks cap. I didnt recognize him at first and was wondering why this guy kept staring at me. When he got up to go to the bathroom and I saw this tall hulking of a guy stand up, I then, instantly recognized him. When he came back I approached him and asked if he was John Wallace and he seemed to be delighted that I recognized him. He was with his kids, I think. They were young. He laughed with me when I brought up the Cuse is in the house rap. A really pleasant guy. Nice to have a guy like that representing Cuse.

About the only highlight of the day for me on Friday was when JW came over to talk to Fran Fraschilla and Boog Sciambi after the game. Snagged this quick picture before we left our seats to go drown our sorrows.

John Wallace.jpeg

As a teenager, I got his autograph outside the Dome after the ‘96 GTown game. I, along with my younger brother, also walked through the tunnel that the team enters the Dome from, back into the room that was right outside the locker room after that game. Players families were in there. We pretended like we belonged. Burgan and Reafsnyder were around.

JW was a menace. as great as carmelo was in his one year, when Wallace switch was on, there was no greater offensive force in my viewing lifetime in an SU uniform perhaps save for DC. Had he played years later, he'd have been one of the all time leaders in three pointers and percentage for SU..of that Im sure. just wasnt a big part of bigger dude's game in those days.

Yeah Wallace was so good! Probably a tweener re: pro game back then without the defensive skills but man he was beast. Was a freshman in college during the run to F4. He was very good on all levels of scoring. Loved his fire.

He was hanging at the end of the bar at the Blarney with some friends for awhile on Friday night after the game. At my age, I'm not an autograph seeker but I stopped and said hello and thanks for the memories. He was gracious and very approachable.

I met him when we beat Wake at last year's ACC tournament. He signed my jersey, which we pretty kind of him. It's a #11 Cuse, circa 2014 so it's Ennis. No matter. I also have Oshae's autograph on the back in one of the 1s.

So Wallace on the front, Oshae on the back. Not bad.

Last edited:
wallace only attempted a total of 17 threes thru his jr. year. shot 42% (37-88) as a senior.

He was hanging at the end of the bar at the Blarney with some friends for awhile on Friday night after the game. At my age, I'm not an autograph seeker but I stopped and said hello and thanks for the memories. He was gracious and very approachable.
I sat next to him at a BET game shortly before the conference was shut down when Syracuse left.

He bleeds orange. Knows the game really well, great to watch a game with. The only problem was his tendency to punch my shoulder every time pretty much anything happened. I was not prepared for the physical play down low that day...

I sat next to him at a BET game shortly before the conference was shut down when Syracuse left.

He bleeds orange. Knows the game really well, great to watch a game with. The only problem was his tendency to punch my shoulder every time pretty much anything happened. I was not prepared for the physical play down low that day...
Ah, he has nycfan Syndrome. Sometimes it manifests itself with constant shoulder-punching, other times it results in painful high-fives.

Ah, he has nycfan Syndrome. Sometimes it manifests itself with constant shoulder-punching, other times it results in painful high-fives.
LOL. I have experienced that syndrome personally as well!